9-Ball Ghost Vs 10-Ball Ghost...why is the 10 so much harder?

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I play on a bar box as most of you know by now:). I know that one more ball can make it harder than the 9-ball ghost, and the break in 10-ball is much harder to make balls on at a high percentage. Also one more ball on a bar box seems to get me a lot of 3 and 4 ball counts giving the game to the ghost and bringing my average way down compared to the 9-ball ghost.

My question is, would anyone like to share where to break from and where to hit QB and head ball to get a higher percentage of balls on the break? John Schmidt, you can jump in here anytime;). Thank you. Johnnyt
 
The impression I get is that the sweet spot depends on the table. True in pretty much all hard break games. You will see shane breaking about 12 inches off the center spot in one match, and in others off the to the side only 2 inches from the rail, and in a recent match I noticed he was intentionally(?) cutting the 1 ball a little instead of hitting it dead on like he usually does, I think he had to do this to make that 2nd ball.

I'd say dead center and a foot off the spot is a good place to start and watch for the 1 ball to hang up near the corner. Watch for the second ball behind the one (not sure which, probably the side opposite from where you're breaking) to go into the side. Not sure which of the remaining balls are "supposed" to go. But if the best in the world has to experiment to figure it out, you'll probably have to as well. I can only say you want some angle, and keep moving further and further out until that 2nd ball goes. Anything beyond that probably depends on how hard you can hit 'em.
 
The impression I get is that the sweet spot depends on the table. True in pretty much all hard break games. You will see shane breaking about 12 inches off the center spot in one match, and in others off the to the side only 2 inches from the rail, and in a recent match I noticed he was intentionally(?) cutting the 1 ball a little instead of hitting it dead on like he usually does, I think he had to do this to make that 2nd ball.

I'd say dead center and a foot off the spot is a good place to start and watch for the 1 ball to hang up near the corner. Watch for the second ball behind the one (not sure which, probably the side opposite from where you're breaking) to go into the side. Not sure which of the remaining balls are "supposed" to go. But if the best in the world has to experiment to figure it out, you'll probably have to as well. I can only say you want some angle, and keep moving further and further out until that 2nd ball goes. Anything beyond that probably depends on how hard you can hit 'em.

Thank you. Johnnyt
 
The impression I get is that the sweet spot depends on the table. True in pretty much all hard break games. You will see shane breaking about 12 inches off the center spot in one match, and in others off the to the side only 2 inches from the rail, and in a recent match I noticed he was intentionally(?) cutting the 1 ball a little instead of hitting it dead on like he usually does, I think he had to do this to make that 2nd ball.

I'd say dead center and a foot off the spot is a good place to start and watch for the 1 ball to hang up near the corner. Watch for the second ball behind the one (not sure which, probably the side opposite from where you're breaking) to go into the side. Not sure which of the remaining balls are "supposed" to go. But if the best in the world has to experiment to figure it out, you'll probably have to as well. I can only say you want some angle, and keep moving further and further out until that 2nd ball goes. Anything beyond that probably depends on how hard you can hit 'em.

when all else fails....go to the next extreme, soft break um, could be balls are just getting in the way of eachother and you need take a little off the break.
 
when all else fails....go to the next extreme, soft break um, could be balls are just getting in the way of eachother and you need take a little off the break.

That could be the problem too. Thank you. When I make a ball or two on the breat I notice it's two balls going 3-rails and into the foot corner pockets. Johnnyt
 
I had a hell of a time beating the 10 ball ghost. I played last week for 2 days probably 12 hours before the ghost beat me 10 ahead. Problem I had... balls grouping on the side rail. I hit real easy just to break the balls and could run them, but breaking trying to make a ball resulted in multiple groups. The best result I had was with a medium soft break half diamond off center and full on the 1. I played for the CB to come straight back off the 1 diamond and half. I could make a couple balls with this. A little hard though resulted in those flippin groups of frozen balls. The 10 was much harder though than the 9. I was surprised.
 
here is a CLIP of Frost beating the 10ball ghost for the cash.

Thanks for putting that up Steve. I remember watching it live. It looks to me like he's racking ...........................
1
23
--- 1,2,and 3 seem to be in the same area at the foot of the table for easy picking. He is real good though. Johnnyt
 
I'll play the 9 ball ghost with no ball in hand a race to 11 even, on a table with 4.5 inch pockets if anybody is interested.
 
Race to 21 for $100? That's an awfully long race for that little of cash. Also it doesn't take a pro to beat the 10 ball ghost on a barbox. I'd like to see someone do it on a 9' with 4 1/4" pockets.
 
Johnny, I think you answered your own question in your opening statement. At least that's all I could contribute: The extra ball and less made on the break. Depending on how strong one's 9ball break is 10 ball probably plays between 2-3 balls more difficult I'd guess, just for those two reasons alone.
 
here is a CLIP of Frost beating the 10ball ghost for the cash.


Funny, after he runs that first rack he apparently "forgot" he was on a bar box and when he went to grab the balls from under the foot rail they weren't there.

Man, he makes it look easy.
 
I saw Alex P beat the 10 ball gost on a tight diamond at J.O.B`s in nashville several years ago with the following rules in place.

1. He had to spot up the highest number ball made on the break,if he scratched or jumped table every ball made on the break spotted up.

2.He couldn`t combo the 10,if it was made out of turn it spotted up.

He played the ghost 8 ahead,he lost the first 7 games and came back and beat it.
It was the best playing I have ever seen.
 
I saw Alex P beat the 10 ball gost on a tight diamond at J.O.B`s in nashville several years ago with the following rules in place.

1. He had to spot up the highest number ball made on the break,if he scratched or jumped table every ball made on the break spotted up.

2.He couldn`t combo the 10,if it was made out of turn it spotted up.

He played the ghost 8 ahead,he lost the first 7 games and came back and beat it.
It was the best playing I have ever seen.

Lol! I think this would be easy to win like this. Matter of fact I would play the 10 ball ghost with those rules. 8 ahead im in.
 
I'll play the 9 ball ghost with no ball in hand a race to 11 even, on a table with 4.5 inch pockets if anybody is interested.

if i was in the area i would stake it just to sweat it......some reason i think u have more rules to it though...
 
if i was in the area i would stake it just to sweat it......some reason i think u have more rules to it though...

No rules. I have to break and run out, and the 9 doesn't count on the break which is even more to your advantage.
 
Back
Top