9 Ball Situation (9) - What would you do here?

cuetable

Line Up Your Best Shot!
Silver Member
Guys, do you like this type of discussion (layout first, video to follow)? Do you have good ideas how to make this into a weekly activity for people to enjoy? We are up to #9 now by the record (I believe the folks at Straight Pool forum are already up to #39 :) ). In any case, these type of discussion doesn't have to be started by me. Anyone is welcome to the mic...

Okay, here we go:

This time you are playing Efren... Yes, Efren the magician, on TV table. He played a safety and left you with this layout below.

Questions:

1, What would be a good offensive move for a strong pro player?

2, What would be a good defensive move for a B-C-D player like you and myself?



CueTable Help




For those who are interested, I have archived the previous 9 Ball Situation discussions here: http://library.cuetable.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39

This layout is from a real match captured on video... Hehe, let the fun begin :cool:
 
Last edited:
two playes. one shoot safe by leaving 4ball on long rail and but qb behind9ball.or bank 4 in coner and have shape on 5 for the run out.
 
defense- thin the 4 go 3 rails and stick the cb close to or behind the 5.

offense- bank the 4 with a little inside. 2 rails for shape on the 5 and the runout
 
TXsouthpaw said:
defense- thin the 4 go 3 rails and stick the cb close to or behind the 5.

offense- bank the 4 with a little inside. 2 rails for shape on the 5 and the runout
Those are my choices as well.

For the B-C-D players, they could stiff the 4 into the 9 and try to make the 6 with a hug-the-rail-with-follow shot -- the nine has at least four likely pockets, and they are going to have to get lucky to beat Efren.
 
offensive: Hit the 4 a little firm with low left and try to carom the 6.
defensive: Hit about 3/4 of the left side of the 4 ball with left spin at a fairly slow speed and try to split them on the rail between the 9.
 
cleary said:
offensive: Hit the 4 a little firm with low left and try to carom the 6.
defensive: Hit about 3/4 of the left side of the 4 ball with left spin at a fairly slow speed and try to split them on the rail between the 9.


Well, I think I like the carom but I would send the cue ball rail-first into the 6. Not only do I think my chances at pocketing the 6 increase since I won't have to worry about a double-kiss, I'll have the cueball off the rail for my next shot.


CueTable Help

 
Jude Rosenstock said:
Well, I think I like the carom but I would send the cue ball rail-first into the 6. Not only do I think my chances at pocketing the 6 increase since I won't have to worry about a double-kiss, I'll have the cueball off the rail for my next shot.
Thats my offensive choice as well. I think the 4 should end up somewhere close to the top left corner on this one, which makes the runout fairly easy.
But I would have to feel really confident to go this way, cause a miss is a sellout here.
 
Krisz said:
Thats my offensive choice as well. I think the 4 should end up somewhere close to the top left corner on this one, which makes the runout fairly easy.
But I would have to feel really confident to go this way, cause a miss is a sellout here.


I couldn't agree with you more. It is the inherent risk in combinations and caroms. There's no two-way option if you miss.
 
Offense, I am playing the 4 ball bank to bottom left corner, soft shot to have the cue ball go two rails back near mid table for a nice angle on the 5.

Defense, I am playing a soft shot into the right side of the 4, leave the 4 on the top rail and the cue on the bottom rail with the 9 ball in between.

Krisz, I agree a miss is a sellout, but any offensive miss on this table is a sellout.
 
Last edited:
defensive:
I'd try to hit the 4 pretty thin on the right side.
If it feels right, I'd go for one rail to hit the 8 or - more likely - the 5 to hide behind the other one. With the thin hit, the 4 should even stay behind the 9 for insurance.
Most of the time though, I'd be afraid of a miss or a scratch off the 5 and go two rails behind the 5 or at least leave some distance.
 
I would bank the 4 at the pocket by the 5, medium speed to leave the OB on side rail near side pocket, should I miss. Leave CB on opposite side rail, close to side pocket there.
 
soulcatcher said:
I agree a miss is a sellout, but any offensive miss on this table is a sellout.
You're right...unless I miss really bad and get lucky.
That seems pretty common these days - I don't get to play much and when I do, I can't relax, so I play a lot of lousy shots. The worse You play, the more likely You are to leave tough shots...;-)
 
I'm not very good

I think this is the best I could do

CueTable Help



Hoping that the 9 gets between the cue and 4 ball, and praying that the 4 doesn't get loose by the side pocket

(added) either that or banking the 4 into the 9 whilest caroming the 6; the "kahwaaam and pray" shot
 
Last edited:
Black-Balled said:
I would bank the 4 at the pocket by the 5, medium speed to leave the OB on side rail near side pocket, should I miss. Leave CB on opposite side rail, close to side pocket there.
I thought of something like that, too.
But then I tried to draw a line from the CB to the 4 on the table and realized that the 9 is at least damn close to being in the way.
 
Oops, I just read that I'm playing Efren on this one.
So forget the defense - I'd go for the carom on the 6 or the bank to the top left corner. If it doesn't feel right, I'll just close my eyes and shoot, hoping for a miracle...
 
Haven't we learn something here? the cardinal rule when playing Efren is never give him the opportunity to get back at the table to shoot. I'd take my chances going on the offensive right away. bank on the 4, and everything else is relatively easy.
 
Page 1 A player
Page 2 A B-Z player

CueTable Help



I can't really tell if you can see the entire left side of the 4, else I would also suggest banking the 4 in the pocket near the 5 if you needed an offensive shot. As I see it I think I like playing safe only. Besides, it's Efren, he doesn't kick all that well iirc.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top