9' Diamond tables

Skess

Another sidearmer...
Silver Member
Does anyone know offhand what the standard pocket sizes are out of the factory?

And do they tighten them up at all for the pro events like Valley Forge?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Does anyone know offhand what the standard pocket sizes are out of the factory?

And do they tighten them up at all for the pro events like Valley Forge?

Diamond's standard Pro cut corner pocket is 4 1/2", side pockets are 5 1/16"ths and no, they're not tightened up for "Pro" events.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
skess,

Paul Smith of Diamond described the corner pockets as being 4 7/16 inches with a 17 degree undercut. That effectively allows two balls to just fit into the opening yet not pass each other. The Diamond Pro/Am our new room owner just purchased seems to fit those dimensions. I have no idea what the side pockets are.

Lyn

realkingcobra

Silver Member
skess,

Paul Smith of Diamond described the corner pockets as being 4 7/16 inches with a 17 degree undercut. That effectively allows two balls to just fit into the opening yet not pass each other. The Diamond Pro/Am our new room owner just purchased seems to fit those dimensions. I have no idea what the side pockets are.

Lyn

4 7/16"ths is the distance between the points of the cushions, but that's not where the balls actually touch, they contact the facings below the level of the points which is 4 1/2". Diamonds down angle is 15 degrees.

Glen

Skess

Another sidearmer...
Silver Member
Thanks RKC.

A buddy of mine is in the process of opening a hall around our area and is planning on having ten 9' ft diamonds and a couple 7' diamonds. He was concerned that they would be too difficult for the average crowd. I told him Diamonds have a reputation as tough but fair. I have limited experience with the 9' tables, but I'm a huge fan of the 7'ers.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
My table has four and three eighths opening at the points and narrows to four and a quarter where the balls touch. It is one of the older Pro-Ams originally used in the Reno tournaments. Greg said that was a batch of tougher tables. I believe him. Two years later and I still can't make a ball! :smile:

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
My table has four and three eighths opening at the points and narrows to four and a quarter where the balls touch. It is one of the older Pro-Ams originally used in the Reno tournaments. Greg said that was a batch of tougher tables. I believe him. Two years later and I still can't make a ball! :smile:

Wait a minute Jay, didn't I just read about you winning a two man tournament:tongue:? Can't make a ball? You can't fool me:rolleyes:!

Lyn

onepocketron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The hall I play in has 3 Diamond 9 footers. They are tight, but fair. Of course when the cloth is new the balls slide, but after they "wear in" after a few months, they get tougher. If you don't "make" the ball, it ain't gonna fall in the pocket.
I think it depends on the idividual. I personally feel if I don't hit the pocket, the ball should not fall. None of this hitting the rail two diamonds before the pocket and having the ball fall. I hate tables with buckets!!
Do I like em......you bettcha! If I had the space at home for a table would I buy one....without a doubt!