A Big Thank You to sdbilliards

junkbond

The dog ate my stroke.
Silver Member
Last week, Donny came and fixed my eight-month-old Gold Crown V Tournament Edition. The improvement in the table is remarkable.

To start with, just finding anyone willing to come up here in the middle of nowhere is difficult. I feel quite fortunate that Donny was willing to drive up here. He put in a very long day, but never rushed or cut corners; his only purpose throughout the day (and well into the night) was to make the table the best it could be. And I believe he succeeded. The fact that Donny is also a hell of a nice guy and it was enjoyable hanging with him while he worked is a bonus.

I had thought that the table was very flat and level, but after Donny fixed a slight crown in the head slate and releveled all the slates and the table, it was obvious that small imperfections have a big effect. I guess it's true that close only counts in horse shoes and grenades. Donny spent nearly as much time leveling the table as some "installers" will take for a complete table installation (okay, that may be a bit of an exaggeration, but he did spend a very long time leveling the thing).

The pocket castings were all fitted properly. The pocket angles were corrected and new facings were installed to replace the Brunswick ball ejectors. When new, the corner pockets varied in size by more than an eighth of an inch, and the angles were not all the same. The side pockets were an eighth different at the points and a quarter-inch different at the throat. With the down angles way off spec, the side pockets were nearly unusable. When Donny was finished, I had 4-3/8" corner pockets and 4-7/8" side pockets that all play exactly as you would expect; no surprises. Excellent.

I had been unhappy with the cushions on the table, because they banked a little short. This was apparently due to the cloth on the cushions being just a bit loose, because with the new cloth installed, the banking is now perfect. Another bonus.

Now, it's like having a new and better table. I couldn't be more happy with the work that was done.

So, thanks again, Donny.

Donny Wessels

Silver Member
It was a pleasure working for you Howard. Glad you liked the table. When leaving your house I counted 5 deer before getting to the main road.

Here's a picture of Howard's driveway with a deer near my truck.
8ad503f5.jpg

Here's Howard Pool Table. Brunswick Gold Crown 5, With Pro pockets, Powder Blue Simonis 860. The pocket were way off from the factory. The side pockets were only about 3/8" bigger than the corners. Some corner angles were 143 deg while others were 141 deg. I spent a couple hours straightening out the pockets.

7221d9e4.jpg

d8fa7084.jpg

LA toolman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
how can this be

The pocket were way off from the factory. The side pockets were only about 3/8" bigger than the corners. Some corner angles were 143 deg while others were 141 deg.

How can a top level table be this bad straight from the factory?
Is Brunswick really this inconsistant with its production now?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm the one who sold Howard this table. It was still in the original factory cartons. He did get it for the right price at least. It also bothers me that a new table from Brunswick is so far off, especially a top of the line model. They are asking well over $9,000 for this table new, and it should be damn good for that price.

This does not speak well for Brunswick imo. Their quality control is pretty lax to let things like this go out the door. Bottom line - you always should have the best mechanic possible install your table. Makes a huge difference, whether it's new or used. That's why guys like Donny, Glen and a few others are so much in demand for their services.

Last edited:

Donny Wessels

Silver Member
The pocket were way off from the factory. The side pockets were only about 3/8" bigger than the corners. Some corner angles were 143 deg while others were 141 deg.

How can a top level table be this bad straight from the factory?
Is Brunswick really this inconsistant with its production now?

this table was that bad. my intentions were to take photos before and after but got caught up in the work. I noticed that all the corner left side of the pockets were at 143 deg, causing alot of pocket rattles.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I'm the one who sold Howard this table. It was still in the original factory cartons. He did get it for the right price at least. It also bothers me that a new table from Brunswick is so far off, especially a top of the line model. They are asking well over $9,000 for this table new, and it should be damn good for that price.

This does not speak well for Brunswick imo. Their quality control is pretty lax to let things like this go out the door. Bottom line - you always should have the best mechanic possible install your table. Makes a huge difference, whether it's new or used. That's why guys like Donny, Glen and a few others are so much in demand for their services.

I had the same problems with the pockets on fatboys GC5 when I set it up;)

junkbond

The dog ate my stroke.
Silver Member

I sure did get it at the right price, and thanks again for that, Jay. Even after Donny's work, I'm still way ahead of the game.

Brunswick's web site shows the table at $10,400, with $650 of that being for the Tournament Edition upgrade. All of you are right that, for that price, you would expect better production of the cushions. I was very disappointed in Brunswick.

When I had the table installed last summer, I was unable to arrange anything with the magic mechanics of AZB. Glen was running his seminar; Donny was laid up; Craig was working long hours; and Ernesto and Oscar had just returned from China and were busy catching up. Being too impatient to wait, I called the local installer, but I kind of expected that I would eventually have to call in one of the masters.

But at the end, I am a very happy camper.