A confession regarding The Hustlers.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was one of the first out of the box who didn't really like the first few shows. It has gotten better with episodes 3&4, much better.

Heres the thing, I don't play that much anymore other then at home once and a while. In fact if not for this forum I think any interest in the game would have long ago ceased. I would probably not even give the game much thought.

Well the last few nights I had the urge to go out and play and last night I did go to the pool room. It is not a great pool room with poor lighting but it is only 10 minutes away. I had fun and even got into a cheap ring game for a few hours.

I know it is because of watching the Hustlers show I felt like going out and playing. I can't believe I am that unique, I wonder if it has had the same effect on anyone else.

If the show does anything else, I am sure it may bring back some players to the game who have not played for a while. Pool exists in such a void it is hard to keep up an interest, especially when you have no one to share it with.

That has been what this forum and done for me for that last few years and I bet I am not the only one.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I think this show will do more good than perceived harm. Do we really care if people watch this show, then start swaggering like Finnegan, complete with Predator break butt/playing shaft. Or start chalking like Ross?

I'm hoping the show will be renewed for season 2. If its not, then the implications for the other shows (Earl, Scooter/Spanky) being optioned or in development wouldn't be good.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was one of the first out of the box who didn't really like the first few shows. It has gotten better with episodes 3&4, much better.

Heres the thing, I don't play that much anymore other then at home once and a while. In fact if not for this forum I think any interest in the game would have long ago ceased. I would probably not even give the game much thought.

Well the last few nights I had the urge to go out and play and last night I did go to the pool room. It is not a great pool room with poor lighting but it is only 10 minutes away. I had fun and even got into a cheap ring game for a few hours.

I know it is because of watching the Hustlers show I felt like going out and playing. I can't believe I am that unique, I wonder if it has had the same effect on anyone else.

If the show does anything else, I am sure it may bring back some players to the game who have not played for a while. Pool exists in such a void it is hard to keep up an interest, especially when you have no one to share it with.

That has been what this forum and done for me for that last few years and I bet I am not the only one.

Macguy, I know where you are coming from. The poolroom is all about sharing and making games with the other players and enjoying yourselves. A good room is a world of it's own. Glad to hear the passion might be awakening and glad to hear it's the show that spurred it on. Maybe it will do the same for people that really aren't players, yet.

Willi Makaball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Getting people out and playing, Hustlers should motivate some, just as you were.

I was standing out-side the pool hall the other day, saw a couple drive up, get a cue out of the back of their car, and he stood there with her counting a wad of cash. Ive never seen these two before and wondering if they were well know, Well while walking he said to her , hope I don't lose it all.
They get a table , and it is very clear they are new, had lots of work needed, But I guess they were waiting for some pool hall sharks to come play for cash.
Im pretty sure they had been watching ,"Hustlers", and said lets give it a go, and that what pool needs, more people coming to play.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think this show will do more good than perceived harm. Do we really care if people watch this show, then start swaggering like Finnegan, complete with Predator break butt/playing shaft. Or start chalking like Ross?

I'm hoping the show will be renewed for season 2. If its not, then the implications for the other shows (Earl, Scooter/Spanky) being optioned or in development wouldn't be good.

The show is much better than i thought it would be and the acting/stage presence 3x as good as i thought it would be. That being said, it really needs to show steady ratings improvement over the first week if it is to have a chance of being renewed.

Are there still Nielsen families?-If so and you know any, beg them to watch!! Generally spread the word also.

Last edited:

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm hoping the show will be renewed for season 2. If it's not, then the implications for the other shows (Earl, Scooter/Spanky) being optioned or in development wouldn't be good.

Hustlers is simply another reality show.
Replete with scripted, albeit loosely, and manufactured emotion.
We all know that pool games don't work out like the way it is being presented on this show. Come on!

So my question is: what are they selling with this show?
Are we trying to attract the non-pool crowd into the another reality 'shtick?'
Are we going to give them the impression that this is how pool players are and how the game is played? No.
What we really need is a disclaimer that this show is for nothing more than entertainment value.
The pool world is a hell of a lot more professional than what is being portrayed.

Again, don't get me wrong. I'm happy to see this show on tv.
I have watched the first two 'epis' and definitely find it entertaining.

But just you watch.
After the initial excitement has waned...many pool players will find it stale, overplayed, and pedestrian.
Why? Because we can take only so much of what we would like pool to look like.
In reality, we appreciate and demand that pool be a "quiet" game that takes into account our concentration and professional-acting player profile.
These specific attributes are what is going to make the industry money—certainly not dressed up incognito within another
reality show.

Last edited:

lost

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sure many young middle-class parents viewing this show are encouraging their kids to quit T ball and soccer and head to the local pool halls....of course not.
The bottom line is that for better or worse pool reality shows do nothing but reinforce the image pool already has

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hustlers is simply another reality show.
Replete with scripted, albeit loosely, and manufactured emotion.
We all know that pool games don't work out like the way it is being presented on this show. Come on!

So my question is: what are they selling with this show?
Are we trying to attract the non-pool crowd into the another reality 'shtick?'
Are we going to give them the impression that this is how pool players are and how the game is played? No.
What we really need is a disclaimer that this show is for nothing more than entertainment value.
The pool world is a hell of a lot more professional than what is being portrayed.

Again, don't get me wrong. I'm happy to see this show on tv.
I have watched the first two 'epis' and definitely find it entertaining.

But just you watch.
After the initial excitement has waned...many pool players will find it stale, overplayed, and pedestrian.
Why? Because we can take only so much of what we would like pool to look like.
In reality, pool is a quiet game that takes a lot of concentration and a professional player profile.

In the rooms I go to there are many types ie. loud, quiet, gentlemanly, obnoxious. That's one of the things I like about pool players. We are all originals. If the show is getting the non pool playing public curious, well then, that is about all you can ask for. Very encouraging thread.

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the rooms I go to there are many types ie. loud, quiet, gentlemanly, obnoxious. That's one of the things I like about pool players. We are all originals. If the show is getting the non pool playing public curious, well then, that is about all you can ask for. Very encouraging thread.

Hustlers might get the non-pool playing public curious to watch its reality show.
Whether that transforms to actually wanting to get into the pool rooms and play
is quite another story.

My impression is that they will be thoroughly disappointed after hanging out in the
pool room and they don't find the "action" as they see it on this show.

Granted, they will encounter "original" personalities in the pool room, but this is expected and is no different than in any other environment.

Again, don't get me wrong; Hustlers is good craft.
It has the potential to draw an audience for its entertainment value.
But to even think it will encourage more players into the industry is a total dream.

Perhaps many of you don't understand the goal of reality television.

Last edited:

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The way I see it Earl and Scooter don't have the talent to be "Earl" or "Scooter," respectively, in front of the "reality" camera.
It requires a particular acting technique, which from what I have observed, neither one possesses.

I admit though, the actors in Hustlers are quite good in terms of acting ability.

This type of reality show doesn't require good playing, but good acting.
This type of action is edited to death on the editing floor. They can make any good actor look like a great pool player.
The reverse is hardly ever true.

Last edited:

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The way I see it Earl and Scooter don't have the talent to be "Earl" or "Scooter," respectively, in front of the "reality" camera.
It requires a particular acting technique, which from what I have observed, neither one possesses.

I admit though, the actors in Hustlers are quite good in terms of acting ability.

This type of action is edited to death on the editing floor. They can make any good actor look like a great pool player.

I saw some clips of Scooter and Spanky Scooter only needs to be Scooter he's a act all of his own , Kieth McCreedy , Ryan McCreesh . Frankie Hernadez , Eddie Abraham , Danny Green , Pooky to name a few more would be must see TV they need not act they are the act hell get a bar box going and bring in Mike Painter a act all of his own

Last edited:

DirtyJersey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Dude...they aren't acting.

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Go to youtube and you will see that both Earl ans Scooter can be Earl and Scooter on camera. They would be even more entertaining if the producers were able to edit for us to see only their best moments.

scttybee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

nice way to hijack a positive thread...not one of them is an actor

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dude...they aren't acting.

I beg to differ, my friend.
They have to follow some sort of script or else the footage would be chaotic.
You think reality shows are without a script and/or direction?
That's nonsense!

Producers aren't going to waste money on film and have the actors do whatever
they want.

As for Hustlers, you can bet the players are told pretty much their roles.
Who wins, how it's won, and so forth are all scripted.
Again, the editing makes this dynamic look really good.

You can also bet that the casting directors for this show auditioned these player/actors for good reason.
They can follow directions and do it in front of the camera(s)!

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
nice way to hijack a positive thread...not one of them is an actor

Sorry, scttybee. Wasn't trying to be hijack or be negative.
I love the show.

I'm just throwing my knowledge around.

Okay, so these players aren't actors, but they can follow directions and make it believable.
That's what actors do anyways, right?

Last edited:

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I beg to differ, my friend.
They have to follow some sort of script or else the footage would be chaotic.
You think reality shows are without a script and/or direction?
That's nonsense!

Producers aren't going to waste money on film and have the actors do whatever
they want.

As for Hustlers, you can bet the players are told pretty much their roles.
Who wins, how it's won, and so forth are all scripted.
Again, the editing makes this dynamic look really good.

You can also bet that the casting directors for this show auditioned these player/actors for good reason.
They can follow directions and do it in front of the camera(s)!

Where are you getting this from?

I know when they cast the ultimate fighter they pick them based on skill and personality. The fighters are not told how to act.