A guy walks into a bar

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actual conversation between me and a waitress last night at Society Billiards in Manhattan:

ME: Do you know if anyone here plays one pocket?
WAITRESS: No, all of our tables have four pockets.
ME: No, all of your tables have six pockets, but that's not what I was asking.

In addition to a chuckle, Society is a really nice room, with a bunch (16?) of very well maintained Diamonds that aren't too close together. And even though it was 11:00 at night, their cue guy was able to replace my tip, and then play me some one pocket on a table with six pockets. The table time wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, either.

Cory

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Actual conversation between me and a waitress last night at Society Billiards in Manhattan:

In addition to a chuckle, Society is a really nice room, with a bunch (16?) of very well maintained Diamonds that aren't too close together. And even though it was 11:00 at night, their cue guy was able to replace my tip, and then play me some one pocket on a table with six pockets. The table time wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, either.

Cory

Funny story, but in my opinion this illustrates one of the many reasons that pool is not prospering as it should be in the US...employees who know little or nothing about pool or anything going on in their employer's place of business (leagues, tournaments, instruction, etc.).

One owner tells me, "I hire good-looking, low IQ help. Employees with brains tend to expect raises and even benefits...I'd rather just hire new help."

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member

Cory

Trying to remove my double post with no success...

Last edited:

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny story, but in my opinion this illustrates one of the many reasons that pool is not prospering as it should be in the US...employees who know little or nothing about pool or anything going on in their employer's place of business (leagues, tournaments, instruction, etc.).

One owner tells me, "I hire good-looking, low IQ help. Employees with brains tend to expect raises and even benefits...I'd rather just hire new help."

The waitress might of been thinking about all the tips she was keeping in her pants pockets....:sorry:

Yes, she only had four.:wink:

Fenwick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a rare thing if a waitress, bartender or counter person has a clue what pool is about let alone the different games.

Cory

How did you do against John? He's a local pro/shortstop who has been playing for 40years. His game is 14.1 and can play with anyone in the world. He has played in the world 14.1 every year since 2006. He always has a decent showing there. To top it off, he's one of the good guys in pool. Salt of the earth. Professional photographer too.

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How did you do against John? He's a local pro/shortstop who has been playing for 40years. His game is 14.1 and can play with anyone in the world. He has played in the world 14.1 every year since 2006. He always has a decent showing there. To top it off, he's one of the good guys in pool. Salt of the earth. Professional photographer too.

He's a very nice guy and a pleasure to play with. We were just playing 1P for funsies--it was fairly late and we both had had a few drinks. I believe he won all the games (I feel a little better now in light of your information, thanks). At the end I told him that I'd probably need 9-7 next time, which I would try though there's a good chance he would still be the favorite.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
their cue guy was able to replace my tip, and then play me some one pocket on a table with six pockets

On a 6-pocket table I would need at least one "wild" pocket.
That's how we do it on 6-pocket tables in Denver, but there aren't a lot of 6-pocket
tables around, so the "wild" pocket weight doesn't come up very often.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member

:rotflmao1::rotflmao1::rotflmao1:

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Cory
Good one, would be nice if we get a discount for playing on half the table! Or only use the two corner pockets!

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Reminds me of the time my freind Berkly Whitlow tried to teach Trip Triplett (could run out from anywhere in 9 ball,,but just didn't have a clue) how to play one pocket. After explianing the rules,,Berk asked Trip which pocket he wanted before Trip Broke the balls. Trip picked the side pocket closest too him......:cool:

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Society is a nice room, I was there last summer and there equipment was great. I had to play off the wall and found a cue I wish I could have taken home. It was near 100 degrees that day and it was cool as a cucumber down those stairs.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
A guy walks into the same bar......

He says "I'd like a shot."
The bartender says " That'll take about four hours if you're playing one-pocket."

Whaddiya mean, I'm in the wrong thread?

:)

Bazinga!

Jeff Livingston