a$$holes in apa ? not everyone

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had 2 incidents this week that were the same but the attitudes of the teams involved were entirely different.

1st the backstory that led up to the incidents.

I played in my 8 ball cities last weekend. after getting off work 6 clock fri I had to do a lot of rushing to get to the pool hall by 7;30 and we played till 1;00 pm. went back sat morning at 10;00 am and stayed there till 1;00 am. back again sun morning at 11;00 am till 1;00 am mon morning. I go to work Monday at 8;00 am and work till 6;00. have to rush to get to the finals by 7;30. we played till 12;30. we came in 2nd. I am real proud of my team.

I go to work at 8 am tue and work till 6 clock. I have apa league that night but I am dead tired from working and a long weekend of playing pool. i want to stay home but our team is shorthanded due to losing a couple of players so i force my tired butt to go. when it is my turn to play i face a good 5 and we get to hill hill. he breaks dry and i start shooting , i get into that elusive zone we always strive for. asone poster stated on here a while back i was dancing with the table. nothing or no one existed in my world but me and the table. i pocket the 8 and wake up and start to my chair.

my captain says .... uh .... buddy you left the 5 ball. i said huh ? i turn around and look and see this bright orange ball with the 5 on it sitting right there in the middle of the table. how in the hell did i not see that ball ?

well in perfect unison i and my teammates start laughing. my opponent was real apologetic and said he was not paying attention or he would have stopped me from pocketing the 8 early. he told his captain he wanted to play over and proceeded to put quarters in the table again, his captain said ok. i was still laughing and told him it was ok it was just a game .i thought that was real nice of him to offer to play the entire rack over taking a chance on losing the match due to my mistake.

i go to work wed and then to my in house league using the bcapl format. i am still dragging ass and in my 3rd rack i do the same as i did the night before i pocket the 8 and leave a ball on the table. there was no laughter from my teammates or no offer to play over from my opponent.

it was really no surprise to get 2 entirely different reactions from these 2 leagues. i guess apa is all about having a good time with friends. and that aint a bad thing is it ?

i have never in my life made the mistake of leaving a ball on the table when pocketing the 8, let alone doing it 2 nights in a row.

lesson learned is refuse to play when you are that exhausted. for got to mention that Monday i got dehydrated at work pretty bad resulting in muscle cramps. i think that had a lot to do with my performance as well.
 
Good illustration of changes in latitudes (leagues) creating changes in attitudes. I don't do league pool...health issues prevent me from guaranteeing I can be somewhere at any specific date or time. However, I've always heard that APA is primarily a social league while BCAPL is more for the serious competitor. This story tends to bear that out.

Oh, nothing "right" or "wrong" about either...
 
Nice stories! I don't think you can generalize. I think the vast majority of people in any amateur league are nice people, however there are A-holes all of them. In fairness to the BCA folks, it is overall a league for higher skilled players. Therefore, there are higher expectations and by the nature of the beast, the competitive spirit is a bit higher. No different in APA. You might not say anything when a 2 or 3 lines up a shot with CB and OB close together and obviously commits a double hit. Consequently, if you saw a 7 from the other team do the same thing, you'd probably be out of your seat protesting.
 
I have done that a few times myself! You feel like an idiot when you do it.
I know I feel that way! You just get into a zone.. My team mates even tried to stop me once.
I didn't hear them and shot in the 8. :eek:
 
One of our opponents in 9-ball at states yesterday....she was about to shoot the wrong ball, brain cramped. My guy, and half our team, all yelled to stop her. She looked up, realized it, and the look on her face was priceless. She couldnt believe we would do that.

Oh, did I mention, this was a 5 who was in the process of absolutely running over my 8?

Playing the right way has its own rewards.

Good stuff, lorider.
 
Last edited:
One of our opponents in 9-ball at states yesterday....she was about to shoot the wrong ball, brain cramped. My guy, and half our team, all yelled to stop her. She looked up, realized it, and the look on her face was priceless. She couldnt believe we would do that.

Oh, did I mention, this was a 5 who was in the process of absolutely running over my 8?

Playing the right way has its own rewards.

Good stuff, lorider.

IMO, your team displayed a ton of class by letting her know. Thank you all for that.

Tap, tap, tap.

Respectfully,

-Blake
 
I have done this too. Sometime I get so focused on my run in my head I completely skip a ball I have already shot in my mind. Very embarrassing.
 
Just did it yesterday. My wife was amused, I was not. I blamed in on green cloth, the six pinning my last ball (the 14) pinned against the rail :D

Nice to know I'm not alone!
 
I would say it was the person, not the league. I won't call ticky-tack fouls in my league, but if someone makes a mistake like this, I take the win. Don't get me wrong, I will call fouls on myself and am a stand up guy in my league. But I wouldn't replay this game any more than I would if my opponent had an unfortunate scratch on the 8.
 
While replaying the game was nice, that's pretty extreme to let a major rule like that go after the game was over. I would definately stop an opponent from shooting the wrong ball if I cought it, but once the 8 is pocketed, that's a loss. It would be like letting someone get away with "almost" hitting the ball on a kick so we'll call it a good hit.

It was very nice that they re-played the game, but if they did not, I would not call anyone an a$$hole that did not replay it. Maybe if you pocketed the 8 when it was an inch away from a pocket and did not mark the pocket and they yelled and said you lost, that is a jerkish move. Losing because you did not finish the run before pocketing the 8 is a different thing.

I agree that the team did a nice thing, but don't agree that if they did not they are "a$$holes".
 
Sounds like something I've done before... More than once. Specially when I'm tired and exhausted. Both outcomes are good even if we its not in our favor.
All the best
Loren



Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
 
While replaying the game was nice, that's pretty extreme to let a major rule like that go after the game was over. I would definately stop an opponent from shooting the wrong ball if I cought it, but once the 8 is pocketed, that's a loss. It would be like letting someone get away with "almost" hitting the ball on a kick so we'll call it a good hit.

It was very nice that they re-played the game, but if they did not, I would not call anyone an a$$hole that did not replay it. Maybe if you pocketed the 8 when it was an inch away from a pocket and did not mark the pocket and they yelled and said you lost, that is a jerkish move. Losing because you did not finish the run before pocketing the 8 is a different thing.

I agree that the team did a nice thing, but don't agree that if they did not they are "a$$holes".

we did not play the game over, I refused his offer. I don't think this falls into the same category as a do over when you scratch on the 8 but I get your drift.

I used the term a$$hole because in every apa bashing thread on here that term comes up.

as far as the actions of a few don't reflect on an entire league I agree completely. I just thought it ironic that 10 out of 10 people in apa acted one way and 9 out of 10 people in the bcapl acted the completely opposite under the exact same scenario.
 
No, they're not all A$$ Holes, but to be honest, the APA does have it's fair share, kinda like any other league

So Lo, Dub, Juicy, how'd you guys do this weekend? Will you be making the trip to Las Vegas?
 
No, they're not all A$$ Holes, but to be honest, the APA does have it's fair share, kinda like any other league

So Lo, Dub, Juicy, how'd you guys do this weekend? Will you be making the trip to Las Vegas?

Not us. Out in the second round on Saturday for 8-ball, and out in the first round yesterday for 9-ball. No drama, no craziness like others mention in APA threads, things were run well. We just didn't do as well as our opponents did.

Had a great time with great friends, and we're more motivated to get back next year.
 
Not us. Out in the second round on Saturday for 8-ball, and out in the first round yesterday for 9-ball. No drama, no craziness like others mention in APA threads, things were run well. We just didn't do as well as our opponents did.

Had a great time with great friends, and we're more motivated to get back next year.

Well that kinda sucks. Congrats on you success this session though, sounds like you all did OK. I always tell our team that the LTC is like a crap shoot, we don't necessarily have to be the best team there, we just need to have a hot weekend and the rest will take care of itself
 
True you had brain farts, but your captain should of been paying attention and called time out( assuming you still had it) on ya.


Just my 0.02
 
basically in our 9 ball league we have 10 teams that every member of is great and pleasant and will warn you even on stuff like they if they see it, yet there is one team captain who is such an utter stickler for every little rule that when we play her team I do anything I can to aggravate her, since she perpetually aggravates me.
 
Great publicity for the APA. Not everyone in the APA is an a$$hole.

t-shirts being printed now with that slogan on it, available through your league league manager.
 
That's one of the better displays of class I've seen. I've also heard of someone allowing an opponent to shoot the wrong group in an eight ball league (prolly not apa) for six shots in a row then claiming ball in hand. it really comes down to individuals and their attitude, it's not that one league is full of serious players who call everything or the other is full of saints with relaxed attitudes. You find all kinds in any league.


Posted from Azbilliards.com App for Android
 
"Maybe if you pocketed the 8 when it was an inch away from a pocket and did not mark the pocket and they yelled and said you lost, that is a jerkish move."

I had that same situation last week. My opponent played a nice safety forcing me to kick off the short rail, with running english to avoid one of his balls, all the way back down table on the 8 which was in front of the corner pocket. I was so focused on the shot I did not call the 8 and of course I pocketed the ball. My opponents weren't as gracious as the OP's, but I really had nobody to blame but myself.
 
Back
Top