A question for anyone.

bullshooter69

Dirt Road Player
Silver Member
Would like to know from instructors or just players in general if you feel like you have hit a wall in your ability to improve.
"What kinds of things can you do or have done to improve"
I will hang up and listen:)

sfmc-x1

I Sell Out.
Silver Member
Go back to the basics.

If you find your game stalled or unable to improve, you have to admit there is something wrong (stroke / speed / shape, etc)with your current game. Finding exactly what that is, is hard to determine, and is different with every player.

Basics are drills, get back to doing drills. Do them until you are comfortable and confident.

Knowing what you want the cue ball to do is everything. getting the cue ball to do what you want requires practice. Regimented practice = Drills.

Cheers.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
BullShooter,

This question might be better for the main forum.

However, the answer is yes...& no.

Once one has reached a certain level of knowledge & proficiency to execute that knowledge with a relatively high level of consistency, naturally there is a plateau until new knowedge comes along. When that new knowledge does come along, one can work to improve one's game.

In the mean time one can only work to increase one's consistency of executing what one knows & look for more knowledge.

I hope that answers your question to some degree.

Naturally, I have hit plateaus. I have been on one for quite a while until CJ Wiley came along & brought up some 'food for thought'. I am now in the process of trying to elevate my game even though I am 59 years old & will probably do nothing with it but enjoy myself maybe a bit more & maybe have more information to pass on to others.

Best Regards & Good Luck in your search for & on your journey to improvement,

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would like to know from instructors or just players in general if you feel like you have hit a wall in your ability to improve.

Sure, I think everyone hits the wall at some point. So what to do when you hit the wall? Pay attention to your mistakes and attack them one at a time. Then you'll start to improve again.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Sure, I think everyone hits the wall at some point. So what to do when you hit the wall? Pay attention to your mistakes and attack them one at a time. Then you'll start to improve again.

I'll second this and up it a level... Pay attention to your mistakes and the shots you just don't like... Now practice those instead of just making balls because it's fun... Most people tend to practice the shots they can make because it's an exercise in feeling good....

Try coming up with 4-5 shots you hate or have trouble with and spend the night with them... I spent years hating to roll the ball.. I spun everything for position... I spent a month doing nothing but rolling the ball and saw good improvement especially in my safeties... And when I say years it was more like almost 2 decades... I didn't like so I didn't give it the importance it was truly due.....

Chris

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I spent years hating to roll the ball.. I spun everything for position... I spent a month doing nothing but rolling the ball and saw good improvement especially in my safeties... And when I say years it was more like almost 2 decades... I didn't like so I didn't give it the importance it was truly due.....

Chris

Mr. Chris,

You're words just really made me appreciate my Uncle's words. My Dad asked him his opinion of my game when I was about 17 & he said, 'His game is fine but he uses low too much.' I started hitting high & rolling the ball that same day.

Best Regards,

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many players who have shot for a long time do one or both of these...play good sometimes & play poorly others; or play at the same level a long time, and can't seem to get past the "plateau". For either of thse problems, getting your stroke video analyzed by a qualified instructor may help in identifying things that you may be doing that contribute to potential inconsistency. A pair of "trained" eyes often sees things that we can't, as players. A good teacher will also give you some exercises to help improve your consistency, and a way to measure your progress.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not an instructor.

A good friend of mine and successful room owner and businessman (who has since passed) told me once, "John, if you want to be successful, ask the best in the business".

A lot of truth in that statement. ;)

Those words have stuck with me for many years.

Good luck to you.

John

jims111343

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yours is a case where an instructor is called for. He will know immediately what your problem is and then you can get on with elevating your game. Also on the main forum is Tools for Learning Pool. That is really good also.

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
Besides going back and checking your fundamentals and practicing shots you have difficulty with (both are very good suggestions), I would add that assessing your own level of "excitement" is another factor you would be wise to not overlook. I have experienced stagnation in my own game and seen many others who for many reasons have lost their "joy" of playing. In other words they are not having fun anyone. Think about what is fun about pool for you. Why do you have fun playing? Do you still have fun playing the game. If you are not having fun, focused practice will be difficult and you may even find yourself just going through the motions.

desertshark

Racks on racks on racks
Silver Member
I'm not an instructor nor by any means am I a top notch player. But I do learn from my mistakes and can see my area of opportunity.
I do drills now more than ever for my hard shots about 2 hours a day and have seen my game improve. I also spend some time using no English to read the ball and speed. Once I do that for awhile, i rack up a typical 8-ball rack and try to run out; similar to 14.1 without the off ball break. When playing by myself I pay attention to what I didn't want to happen, replace the cue and the ob to see what I could've done to achieve what I wanted. I write it down and clear the rack. Set up the same shots I was having issues with and replay that shot til I'm at 90-95% of satisfaction.

Always remember the basics: stance, stroke, speed and chalk!

Hope it helps!

Okie

Seeker
Silver Member

I start threads like http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=299173 and try to find another way of looking at it! :)

In this case it worked. I found some points to work on which have me thinking I might improve a ball or two once I have 'em built in.

That said...

I analyze things a bit differently than what might work for others. So my suggestion to you would be to find a local expert and have them check you out.

I see you live in Okla. You oughta look up Gordon Vandeveer. He will straighten ya out for sure and is a certified instructor. Shane at Joe's knows how to get in touch with him.

Hope this helps!

Ken

p.s. I have received help from dozens of folks in OKC. All of it has helped improve my insight into the game...just like hanging out on AZB has. If you know me then hit me up and we will take a look. If you don't know me then find me and then hit me up! ;)

bullshooter69

Dirt Road Player
Silver Member
Thanks

Gordy is an excellent SPF instructor, and a pro-level player. He's got some excellent learning "tools" as well. Definitely look him up!

Scott Lee

Thanks Guys

For all the input. I know Gordie well i have played on teams with him when he lived in Dallas. My buddy bought Gordies table when he moved to OKC and i helped move it. As you both say Gordie has a wealth of knowledge.

15cherries

15cherries
Silver Member
Torture yourself!

When I start getting lazy and not hitting the ball well I go out and find the toughest player I can find and get tortured for a while, but while I am getting beat I watch and learn.I pick-up at least one new shot every time. I think the spotted cue ball really helps me figure-out what he is doing and how he is hitting the shots. After my torture evening I am usually pissed-off and re-dedicated to my game.

"good players make good players".

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wanted to make sure and comment on this post by Rufus. Examining fundamentals is great, but knowing deep down why you like to play pool is absolutely instrumental in overcoming problems and/or plateaus! Great post Rufus!

Scott Lee

Besides going back and checking your fundamentals and practicing shots you have difficulty with (both are very good suggestions), I would add that assessing your own level of "excitement" is another factor you would be wise to not overlook. I have experienced stagnation in my own game and seen many others who for many reasons have lost their "joy" of playing. In other words they are not having fun anyone. Think about what is fun about pool for you. Why do you have fun playing? Do you still have fun playing the game. If you are not having fun, focused practice will be difficult and you may even find yourself just going through the motions.

dkbzns

Banned
As for me, I take a break (a few days to a week) and come back recharged. Sometimes the "plateau" for me is being just burnt out. But, thats just me..