ABR 2Nite: Throwback Thursday - "Champagne" Ed Kelly

ABR

ABR Public Relations
Silver Member
Join us tonight as we go "old school" with special guest "Champagne" Ed Kelly, former championship title holder and road player of many styles of pool, including one-pocket, 9ball, and straight pool.
Mr. Kelly explains why One-Pocket is the best game above all others.:cool:

Listen now:
www.americanbilliardradio.com
 
In case you're unfamiliar with Mr. Kelly, here's a nice little piece of info about him:
http://www.onepocket.org/EKellyHOFpage.htm
(Required reading for anyone under 40)

Took a minute to get him warmed up but we had a good chat.
Gotta give some props to the old school

I saw Eddie Kelly play around 1970, and he was an absolute machine. Played all games in stellar fashion.

Ernie Gutierrez of Ginacue made the first box cue ever made, in 1969, and it was made for Eddie Kelly.
He played with it across the country and played most of the best players alive at the time, winning much more than he lost.
I have the cue in my collection and hold it as one of my most important possessions.

A stunner of a cue for a stunner of a player.

I liked him telling of one-pocket being called by the name "pocket-apiece" in the eastern states.
And I really enjoyed the proposition bank game he suggested to Eddie Taylor, and how Taylor responded.

Thanks for having him on. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Will Prout
 
Last edited:
By the way, your interview with Kelly was a little less controversial than the last couple.
Heh, heh, heh........

WP
 
I first met Eddie Kelly in Orlando at the IPT King of the Hill tournament. All the Hall of Famers were given $30,000 just to show up and play, and many Hall of Famers were there, to include, Mr. Kelly Each Hall of Famer, by the way, was given a bye in this tournament, including Efren Reyes who won the $100,000 first-place prize.

He is very charming. He said that his a card dealer in Las Vegas and has been doing so for 20-plus years [this was in 2005]. Imagine stepping up to a poker table in Vegas and having Ed Kelly deal the cards :cool:
 

Attachments

  • Keith and Kelly.JPG
    Keith and Kelly.JPG
    15.3 KB · Views: 476
I saw Eddie Kelly play around 1970, and he was an absolute machine. Played all games in stellar fashion.

Ernie Gutierrez of Ginacue made the first box cue ever made, in 1969, and it was made for Eddie Kelly.
He played with it across the country and played most of the best players alive at the time, winning much more than he lost.
I have the cue in my collection and hold it as one of my most important possessions.

A stunner of a cue for a stunner of a player.

I liked him telling of one-pocket being called by the name "pocket-apiece" in the eastern states.
And I really enjoyed the proposition bank game he suggested to Eddie Taylor, and how Taylor responded.

Thanks for having him on. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Will Prout



You cant say all that cool stuff and not post pics!!!!

Neat story.
 
Glad to see that ABR is back in stroke after giving voice to those that haven't earned the right to address the pool community at large.

Allen Hopkins introduced me to Eddie Kelly in 2003 shortly before Eddie's induction to the BCA HOF. Wow, what a gentleman! I next ran into Eddie at the 2013 BCA HOF inductions and I was shocked that he remembered me.

Eddie was one of the elite all-around players of the 1960's, perhaps living in the shadows of Luther Lassiter and, to a lesser extent, Harold Worst.
 
Back
Top