Acceptable price for a new cue

WesleyW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To a medium-advanced player, what price do you think would be acceptable? Ofcourse it is a personal preference issue. So I'm not asking, what would or can you spend on a cue.

I've some thoughts about this. I think a cue below $200 would been an entry level cue. Above $800-$1.000 would be too expensive. I think to a medium-advanced player something around $300-500 for a playing cue would be suited. What do you guys think?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
WesleyW said:
To a medium-advanced player, what price do you think would be acceptable? Ofcourse it is a personal preference issue. So I'm not asking, what would or can you spend on a cue.

I've some thoughts about this. I think a cue below $200 would been an entry level cue. Above $800-$1.000 would be too expensive. I think to a medium-advanced player something around $300-500 for a playing cue would be suited. What do you guys think?

You're right in the ballpark. You can get a good cue in that price range from quite a few well respected cue makers.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
pretty close

There are a very few for under $375 that are a quality cue and if you buy a "name" cue you can easily push close to a thousand for a playing cue. Fancy doesn't have a top end of course.

Hu

WesleyW said:

HollyWood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ya get what you pay for !

My thoughts are you need to step up when it comes to pool. You need to play with something that really excites you. or you will be shopping for another . Just do your home work. what kind of shoes do you buy- what kind of car do you drive- something that makes a statement- I think it is too bad that most people start at the bottom and work their way up- instead of looking at the top and working your way down. Here's a good example cases, I bought a pred-made by longoni 3-cues 4shafts, now comes in fancier colors, but has a black cover- 250.00 for protection and checking on air planes. ( it really works yesterday I accidently ran it over with my 2005 gmc)- inside 3 cues 1 rayes, 1 joss, and a Gilbert. I lost my breath but the cues and the case are a ok. I will be talking to mike at omega. Cases tested gmc tough! the point is pay for a real case as well! mark

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Attachments

• PS16 Pechauer.jpg
    PS16 Pechauer.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 96
  • PS18 Pechauer.jpg
    PS18 Pechauer.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 95

Ant812

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thats plenty for a good stick. if it was me, i would buy a joss. i own 2 now along with plenty of customs that i paid up to $3000 for. i wouldnt be able to say that the customs shoot any better than the joss and hold a streight face. i wouldt worry about the quality either, i shot with one for 3 years and never had a single problem.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
WesleyW said:

$500 sounds like a good ballpark step. OTOH, I think anyone who's serious about the game should be willing to pay more. But, you can obviously get all the quality you need at $500.

Fred

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
The cue cost really has nothing to do with skill level. I'm a poor player, but I love my Josey custom...I don't drive like an Unser, but I drove Porsches for 40 years. I just like having good equipment. That's a pool code sin???

(edit) Wesley? I'd say buy what you like, within your budget.

shinobi

kanadajindayo
Silver Member
pwd72s said:
The cue cost really has nothing to do with skill level. I'm a poor player, but I love my Josey custom...I don't drive like an Unser, but I drove Porsches for 40 years. I just like having good equipment. That's a pool code sin???

(edit) Wesley? I'd say buy what you like, within your budget.

Agreed. I recently bought a Josey sneaky and love it. They aren't so expensive anyway.

StevenPWaldon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's really dependent on what kind of person you are, how much money you have, and how much you want to spend.

I know a millionaire who plays with a Viking sneaky pete. He's around an A- player. He has plenty to spend, but doesn't want to spend it on a cue.

On the other hand, I know a guy who makes little more than minimum wage and plays with a Richard Black. He's around a D+/C- speed.

Everyone's different, especially with respect to cues and what is right for them.

s0lidz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Personally, I think most people tend to overestimate the importance of price when it comes to cue selection. I've played with several different expensive cues, and I always keep going back to my $80 Players cue that I originally started playing with. This is just my personal experience. I am not attempting to speak for everyone here, but I just thought I'd throw it out there.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
a cue around 5 hundo will probably be able to do all the things youd need it to do and hold up well over time.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
s0lidz said:
Personally, I think most people tend to overestimate the importance of price when it comes to cue selection. I've played with several different expensive cues, and I always keep going back to my $80 Players cue that I originally started playing with. This is just my personal experience. I am not attempting to speak for everyone here, but I just thought I'd throw it out there.

you might have just got lucky and got a good one. not all production cues play as well as the same model from the same company

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
pwd72s said:
I'd say buy what you like, within your budget.

That is probably the best advice I have ever seen on this subject on any forum!
Steve