Action in Frederick, MD?

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only so-called "action" spot I know of would be All-Star Billiards. There's a few action-type players who frequent there. You kind of have to sniff them out. You may know some of them, but there's also some unknown locals. ;)

There is also Champions in Frederick. It is an absolutely gorgeous place, but it's more of a singles bar. Though they do have GREAT tables, they have a loud band sometimes, good food, and lots of alcohol drinkers. Most of the people that go in there seem more interested in mingling than playing pool. Nothing wrong with that, but it does not seem like a player's pool room where you would find action. The food, however, is GREAT. :thumbup:

Hagerstown Billiards ain't that far away from Frederick (maybe a 15-20 minutes drive tops), and it's a nice pool room. In fact, out of the three, I like Hagerstown best. It's a gorgeous country drive, with little to no traffic. The air in Hagerstown actually smells sweet, it's so fresh and clean. There are some action players there for sure. :smile:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
craig1243 said:
should be able to find all kinds of action on rte 175

I don't think Route 175 is close to Frederick, MD. Isn't that near Jessup and Fort Meade?

But since we're on the topic, which places on Route 175 would be nice to pay a visit to? :p

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
JAM said:
The only so-called "action" spot I know of would be All-Star Billiards. There's a few action-type players who frequent there. You kind of have to sniff them out. You may know some of them, but there's also some unknown locals. ;)

There is also Champions in Frederick. It is an absolutely gorgeous place, but it's more of a singles bar. Though they do have GREAT tables, they have a loud band sometimes, good food, and lots of alcohol drinkers. Most of the people that go in there seem more interested in mingling than playing pool. Nothing wrong with that, but it does not seem like a player's pool room where you would find action. The food, however, is GREAT. :thumbup:

Hagerstown Billiards ain't that far away from Frederick (maybe a 15-20 minutes drive tops), and it's a nice pool room. In fact, out of the three, I like Hagerstown best. It's a gorgeous country drive, with little to no traffic. The air in Hagerstown actually smells sweet, it's so fresh and clean. There are some action players there for sure. :smile:

Yesterday, I was in Frederick looking for a bite to eat, and noticed the All Star Billiards sign and tried to find it. I did find the entrance, but apparently it's gone out of business.

And unexpectedly, in an adjacent shopping center I came across the Hard Times Cafe and Cue and went in to check it out. I asked if they had a 9 footer with tight pockets and they said yes, but the table they gave me was only very slightly tighter than normal, definitely not tight pockets. It didn't look like much was going on in there, at least not in terms of better players. In any case, I got a table for around 20 minutes or so and ran off a few racks. Perhaps at other times stuff goes on there.

Hagerstown certainly has some players, of that I'm sure. Just a bit out of the way for me most of the time.

Thanks in any case.

Flex

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Flex said:
Yesterday, I was in Frederick looking for a bite to eat, and noticed the All Star Billiards sign and tried to find it. I did find the entrance, but apparently it's gone out of business.

I am shocked. Hmm, was the facility in the BACK of the shopping center? I wonder if you went to the right place. I'm sure you did, but I thought I just read a thread on this forum recently about a tournament held there that Ryan McCreesh and other local players attended.

Flex said:
And unexpectedly, in an adjacent shopping center I came across the Hard Times Cafe and Cue and went in to check it out. I asked if they had a 9 footer with tight pockets and they said yes, but the table they gave me was only very slightly tighter than normal, definitely not tight pockets. It didn't look like much was going on in there, at least not in terms of better players. In any case, I got a table for around 20 minutes or so and ran off a few racks. Perhaps at other times stuff goes on there.

Hagerstown certainly has some players, of that I'm sure. Just a bit out of the way for me most of the time.

Thanks in any case.

Flex

Are you living in Frederick right now?

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM said:
I am shocked. Hmm, was the facility in the BACK of the shopping center? I wonder if you went to the right place. I'm sure you did, but I thought I just read a thread on this forum recently about a tournament held there that Ryan McCreesh and other local players attended.

Here is the thread from the Tournament Section: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=119028&highlight=Frederick

It was the Maryland State 8-Ball Championship held in November 2008, just last month!

Ryan McCreesh posts on the thread stating there is "tons of action." :thumbup:

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
JAM said:

Yes, it was in the back corner of the shopping center; the back left of that center.

Are you living in Frederick right now?

No, I don't live in Frederick; I'm out near the Windy City. Just get to this area pretty often.

I know where to find action in the general area, not that I'm looking for it. Actually, I'm not. I can get action anytime, as I'm not much of a player. Getting a good game is another thing. When I ask about action spots, it's not so much for matching up but to be around better players. Watching them play definitely helps my game. Plus, once they realize I'm not really out to take anybody's money, they open up a bit and show me some very valuable stuff, for which I'm most appreciative.

There are plenty of good players at First Break, probably my favorite spot.

Flex

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Flex said:
No, I don't live in Frederick; I'm out near the Windy City. Just get to this area pretty often.

I know where to find action in the general area, not that I'm looking for it. Actually, I'm not. I can get action anytime, as I'm not much of a player. Getting a good game is another thing. When I ask about action spots, it's not so much for matching up but to be around better players. Watching them play definitely helps my game. Plus, once they realize I'm not really out to take anybody's money, they open up a bit and show me some very valuable stuff, for which I'm most appreciative.

There are plenty of good players at First Break, probably my favorite spot.

Flex

Yeah, First Break is action friendly for sure! ;)

I haven't been out and about in recent times, but there's a weekly 9-ball tournament just about every day of the week around here.

I think First Break is on Thursdays.

Danny Green runs a weekly tourney in Laurel, MD on Tuesdays, I think it is. The place used to be called Champions, but I can't remember the name now.

Wednesday nights gets some of the TOP local talent at Orange Ball in Rockville, MD. Out of all the weekly tournaments, this one seems to capture a lot of good pool folk.

On Sunday in Baltimore, there used to be a 9-ball tourney at Top Hat.

Well, those are some that I can remember. If you go to Orange Ball on Wednesdays, I'm pretty sure you can get some updated pool info on the local pool scene here. :)

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
JAM said:
Well, those are some that I can remember. If you go to Orange Ball on Wednesdays, I'm pretty sure you can get some updated pool info on the local pool scene here. :)

Thanks, JAM, always appreciate your posts!

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Flex said:
That's just nuts... One month later and it's gone!

I am totally shocked.

The owner Larry used to work with me at the old Champions in Silver Spring 25 years ago or more. It was the first Champions, as a matter of fact.

Then he went on to Frederick and bought that Champions from Richard Allen, changed its name to All Stars later on. It was a family-run kind of pool room. The leagues were very strong there. It is upsetting to think it closed down. I'd love to hear from Ryan McCreesh about this because he'd know the skinny for sure.

I wonder where all those league players have gone. I'm thinking there may be another spot up there.

AzB-er Whitewolf lives in Frederick too, I think.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM said:
I am totally shocked.

The owner Larry used to work with me at the old Champions in Silver Spring 25 years ago or more. It was the first Champions, as a matter of fact...
Don't make me say Westmont!;) oops

I did not know Larry was All Stars' owner.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Black-Balled said:
Don't make me say Westmont!;) oops

I did not know Larry was All Stars' owner.

Well, actually, I think the pool room belonged legally to Larry's family, but that's another story altogether! :wink:

JayBaltimore

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All Star Billiards is definently not shut down or gone out of buisness. Bamacues, mainly in the wanted/for sale section, is an advid player and meets up with most of his customers there. PM Bamacues for a definant answer...

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
JayBaltimore said:
All Star Billiards is definently not shut down or gone out of buisness. Bamacues, mainly in the wanted/for sale section, is an advid player and meets up with most of his customers there. PM Bamacues for a definant answer...

Glad to hear it's not gone out of business.

When I went by there yesterday, it looked (from my car, not up close) like it was empty inside and was closed definitively...

Gonna PM Bamacues

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
Just heard from Bamacues that they moved to the other end of the shopping center. He told me he was there playing yesterday.

Great news!

Flex

JayBaltimore

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Flex said:
Just heard from Bamacues that they moved to the other end of the shopping center. He told me he was there playing yesterday.

Great news!

Flex

oh ok, i knew they didn't close, but happy to help you out a bit...

Chokenour

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It moved from the right side of the gym to the left side of the gym. I think about 20 yards from where it was.