Advertising the amount of the bet in action online...

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
I recently joined Reddit because I like some of the stuff people post on there that makes it to my Google news feed,particularly Dream Theater related stuff,but there is also a Pool and Billiard community as well.

Someone on there mentioned that the rubber match between Dennis Orcullo and Tony Chohan is coming up,with something like a 50K bet.

This is just me,but advertising that there is that much cash in one place,in a time period where people shooting up Wal Marts FOR FREE,maybe we need to figure out a way to keep that detail private?

The guy that made the post that caused me to post this exact sentiment,asked if I intended that as a threat and said it wasn't funny.

All I want is to keep them and everyone else SAFE,anything else is bullshit :cool:. Tommy D.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i think if a shooter walks in he wont last long
he is not walking into a walmart
the people in the pool room know how to protect themselves
jmho

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently joined Reddit because I like some of the stuff people post on there that makes it to my Google news feed,particularly Dream Theater related stuff,but there is also a Pool and Billiard community as well.

Someone on there mentioned that the rubber match between Dennis Orcullo and Tony Chohan is coming up,with something like a 50K bet.

This is just me,but advertising that there is that much cash in one place,in a time period where people shooting up Wal Marts FOR FREE,maybe we need to figure out a way to keep that detail private?

The guy that made the post that caused me to post this exact sentiment,asked if I intended that as a threat and said it wasn't funny.

All I want is to keep them and everyone else SAFE,anything else is bullshit :cool:. Tommy D.
I agree.No need to broadcast it.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I agree.No need to broadcast it.

But there is in a way. It draws viewers when they know the bet is big. I'd have loved a heads up about 50k during my working days, but hearing it's in a pool hall would give me pause. The types that gravitate to pool may not be the most...Victorian, from what I hear.

Bet big, shout it from the rooftops, and protect yo self

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We dont control it or have any +/- consequences.

I wouldn't thing concern is warranted from the general population.

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They are both probably getting some of the streaming revenue, so it will be promoted to get as many fans as possible watching.

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
But there is in a way. It draws viewers when they know the bet is big. I'd have loved a heads up about 50k during my working days, but hearing it's in a pool hall would give me pause. The types that gravitate to pool may not be the most...Victorian, from what I hear.

Bet big, shout it from the rooftops, and protect yo self

I've basically wondered the same thing. Although, not necessarily in a "mass shooting sense" per sey. More like, as in a heist... But I pretty much agree with JJ's quote.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve seen a lot of action matches posted with money details and nothing has happened yet that I’m aware of. I tend to favor solving problems that we are having over taking action to avoid problems we theoretically might have.

I thought big money matches like this often meant posting the money up front with a third party. Do they usually keep the cash on site and distribute it on the spot?

If I wanted a deterrent I would just add a “cash not on site” blurb rather than not announce the money. The amount of the money is a draw for the event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The people that do the mass shootings are cowards and their agenda is not money.
The last thing those cowards want, is to confront someone else with a gun.
That's why the solution to that problem is easy.
Just make it recommended, for all mentally competent men,to take training and to open carry in public.
Most of those creeps, would never stick their noses out of the house

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"SOMETIMES".......but, not always...."they" say:

Etc...etc...etc in the middle. When in reality they usually have 5k or 10k in the middle.

Why? Like some said, livestreaming profits are usually "in part" split by the players and for some reason, when people hear 50k in the middle they tend to be more willing to pay to see it compared to hearing 5 or 10k in the middle.

Lol....a sucker is born every second. Just like a fool and his money will soon part ways.

If I pay for a stream, I go by "who" is playing. I couldn't care less "how much" ...if anything is in the middle.

Jeff

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The people that do the mass shootings are cowards and their agenda is not money.
The last thing those cowards want, is to confront someone else with a gun.
That's why the solution to that problem is easy.
Just make it recommended, for all mentally competent men,to take training and to open carry in public.
Most of those creeps, would never stick their noses out of the house

Don't get stuck on today's definition of a mass shooting. Think of it more as a robbery. Lots of stickup men out there...and like the honey badger, they don't give a F.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
People have been talking about this for a long time.
There are so many precautions and other things in place that no one is going to try to take off a game.

Back in the DCC days at the Executive, I can think of one attempt, but that is it and it didn't amount to anything, way too many people with their own form of security.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People have been talking about this for a long time.
There are so many precautions and other things in place that no one is going to try to take off a game.

Back in the DCC days at the Executive, I can think of one attempt, but that is it and it didn't amount to anything, way too many people with their own form of security.

A lot of people did get, shall we say...pickled, in the elevators though.

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There used to be a concern about the IRS finding out who won the cash. Did that ever cause a problem?

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm surprised crypto isn't the solution to trade a big bet.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm surprised crypto isn't the solution to trade a big bet.

we be pool playahs, not astrophysicists

just be happy that the match will be streamed. used to be that you logged into accustats 1994 style homepage and ordered long matches in many many VHS tapes