Advice for road player

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In today's day and age I think for a stranger from another continent it is all about safety. Sure there are cheap hotels in the U.S. - most of them are dangerous in all sorts of ways. Walking out of pool rooms at night with cash- from most of the rooms I see here in Fl., I would not do it without my concealed carry.

The guy will be a mark almost every place he goes, especially if he is walking out of rooms late at night loaded with cash and heading to local cheaper hotels. Many European tourists have been raped, mugged, and murdered in the U.S. over the past 25 years from Miami to NYC to L.A.

Make sure he hooks up with someone here in the U.S. to travel with him and someone who knows the true lay of the land here in 2022- I think that it could be a good experience- but he really does need a very savvy travel partner.
I’m in !!!!!

Ghost of OBC

You should start playing pool again. People lie, but those phenolic spheres never lie. The honesty of those balls on the table is part of what seduced me to love pool. People lie, but the balls don't lie. You might lose, but who cares? Just hit the balls, and see what happens. They are honest, whereas no person on earth is totally honest.

The balls are honest, even if we lie about it.

Play pool (or billiards, if you're classy). Just play, and who cares about anything else?

We are just a blink on the scale of the cosmos. Trilobytes dominated the earth for something like 200 million years, but they didn't play pool, so f*** trilobytes.

Be the best version of yourself that you can be, and if you still end up being a piece of shi*, let's kick it, because I'm a piece of shi* too.
This is one of the clearest descriptions of the appeal of pool I've ever read. I could not have said it any better. The honesty of those balls on the table has seduced me over and over.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Coming back to this thread I can see it has veered in even more directions than most threads! I gather pool is just a little icing on the cake, what I assumed to begin with. Anyone heading to the US to make a huge score has to be very good and very well connected. I think Cesar Morales was the last guy to do that!

Hopefully the thread gives an overall feel of things. As a general rule a person will be met halfway in the US, meaning how you treat others is how you will be treated. I do think that the cell phone and internet are way overrated, a well established Fargo is probably trouble if it is matched with a well known face. A name change and a slight change of appearance and you are probably golden with a Fargo below eight hundred or so. Many places you walk in won't give a rat's ass who you are anyway.

Hu

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Coming back to this thread I can see it has veered in even more directions than most threads! I gather pool is just a little icing on the cake, what I assumed to begin with. Anyone heading to the US to make a huge score has to be very good and very well connected. I think Cesar Morales was the last guy to do that!

Hopefully the thread gives an overall feel of things. As a general rule a person will be met halfway in the US, meaning how you treat others is how you will be treated. I do think that the cell phone and internet are way overrated, a well established Fargo is probably trouble if it is matched with a well known face. A name change and a slight change of appearance and you are probably golden with a Fargo below eight hundred or so. Many places you walk in won't give a rat's ass who you are anyway.

Hu
Well said

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Not every player has to travel incognito. I think a lot of the difference is whether one's purpose is hustling or gambling. There was a well known gambler from Mobile, Cleo Vaughan, who came here on a regular basis to play pool, cards, etc., for many, many years. It was never a secret in the local pool halls whenever he was in town. I do not believe he ever had any difficulty in making games. In fact, I recall people from out of town coming here to play him.

Last edited:

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hu
Interesting. His Fargo rate is 640.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Guy Manges

Registered
In today's day and age I think for a stranger from another continent it is all about safety. Sure there are cheap hotels in the U.S. - most of them are dangerous in all sorts of ways. Walking out of pool rooms at night with cash- from most of the rooms I see here in Fl., I would not do it without my concealed carry.

The guy will be a mark almost every place he goes, especially if he is walking out of rooms late at night loaded with cash and heading to local cheaper hotels. Many European tourists have been raped, mugged, and murdered in the U.S. over the past 25 years from Miami to NYC to L.A.

Make sure he hooks up with someone here in the U.S. to travel with him and someone who knows the true lay of the land here in 2022- I think that it could be a good experience- but he really does need a very savvy travel partner.
Make sure that that travel partner is just small enough to barely get in the truck you are traveling in, 6'10 too 7' about 450 too 500 lbs...

Guy Manges

Registered
To take care today is more important than it was yesterday and this may be our whole world... I hope you get to enjoy... Guy

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for all the advice! He has a very good job and more in it for the experience, but he does like to win! He's willing to bet up to 1000 for race to X, depending on the conditions. But you're right, it's better to start small.

DM me if he’s looking to race 10B on a 9’ diamond for 1K! Thanks. Hope he enjoys his trip.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Only one way I know of to consistently make money playing pool.

Don't go after the local hotshot.

Go to the bar with bar tables and watch. The hothead who thinks he's the best will be in shortly and then
play with a house cue. When the guy gets mad, go to the restroom and don't come back. Go to the next
bar, rinse and repeat.

A friend of mine from Europe is planning to travel in the US 3 months playing pool. He's a young guy who has improved a lot in the last 2-3 years and he's a decent money player but not a hustler.

Do you have any advice for him, best places, tactics etc.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I went up to Salt Lake visiting with a friend. Wasn't a week before I was jonesing to get on a pool table and there was a good sized hall that I had stumbled on. I mentioned to "Jim" that I was thinking of taking a pass through one night. He told me it was a very bad place for a stranger to go. Not something I hadn't heard before but I considered that I would stick out like a sore thumb there and that Jim wore out clothes from the inside out, when he said it was rough and I was likely to get into real trouble there I backed off.

One of the reasons I backed off hasn't been mentioned that I have noticed, you don't want to tangle with the law in a strange town!

Upon further review I would indeed stay with the stranger in a strange land looking for a game approach and stay in moderately nice places. You may get action, you may just have a nice visit with an owner or counterperson. What you are unlikely to do is get in trouble, the kinds of trouble that can ruin your trip.

I definitely would not give New Orleans a pass by. A 640 should have a handful of fair games to choose from and a 640 fargo or B player has nothing to hide. About an ideal rating for an action player. Too, New Orleans is a place not to be missed in the US. I do strongly advise cooler weather though! New Orleans in mid-summer means staying indoors for most people from afar. Drifting west from New Orleans it would be very easy to spend a pleasant week in south Louisiana, hit a festival or two, and find action on most levels. Lafayette, New Iberia, and that general area should be booming and when the money is coming fast the gambling is easy! Acadiana is a different culture from the rest of Louisiana and there may not be a better place in the US to pass a good time! Did much of my gambling there as a young man. Beautiful girls and a constant party had a lot to do with my choice.

I think a road trip and a light pass through the pool culture is the ticket. The best advice is not to play for money the other player can't afford to lose. Some places that is a thousand, some places that is twenty bucks. Tread lightly and have fun!

Hu

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some people still actually care about others.

I do care about others. Last thing I ever want to see is anyone get rolled up or pealed anywhere.
You have to keep in mind that as you are well aware cultures are very different in other countries and they often don't have the same kind of extremely rampant problems with predatory pieces of sh!t all over the place who think nothing of killing or hurting you like America has. Their naivety to the reality here very often results in them being way too trusting like they are used to being able to be in their own country but where it can very quickly get them into trouble here.
Yes I’m extremely well travelled globally. Most of my travels have involved pool and I’ve been in many many bad spots outside America. Lucky I’ve never had a problem,

One thing I can say is people who aren’t from America are usually more switched on than Americans. Europeans specifically because Europe is rather small and there’s trains between most countries so Europeans tend to have a broader scope of different cultures than Americans who mostly live in a vacuum. Sure texas and Fla and Detroit are all different. But not as different as Spain and Hungary are. And forget about the romantic idea Europe is the nice place it’s portrayed as in American TV shows. Reality check Milan Italy is as bad if not worse than Detroit. It’s the hood there.

Asia ain’t a bargain either for safety, Africa is very dangerous, as is South America.

America isn’t more dangerous than most places.

Americans have the most self centered idealisms as anywhere I’ve ever been

News flash: the world don’t revolve around America. Most countries over the last 20 years have grown to despise Americans.

I was in Egypt. I didn’t like being a American there in February 2020, Tbilisi Georgia was another dicey spot I ended up in. Within the “tourist bubble”‘it’s safe. I wasn’t in that-long story. I managed ok, but scary place on most areas. Like Vegas-go off strip and have a look in north town, Compton, Milan, or Munich where I’m at now. There’s bad shit everywhere.

Helping people is cool, can’t accuse me of ever steering someone into a jam.

Read a few 1000 of my posts, maybe you’ll learn not to hate me.

Have a great summer, summer is the best💪😃

Best
Fatboy 😃

Tadaimarlon

I do care about others. Last thing I ever want to see is anyone get rolled up or pealed anywhere.

Yes I’m extremely well travelled globally. Most of my travels have involved pool and I’ve been in many many bad spots outside America. Lucky I’ve never had a problem,

One thing I can say is people who aren’t from America are usually more switched on than Americans. Europeans specifically because Europe is rather small and there’s trains between most countries so Europeans tend to have a broader scope of different cultures than Americans who mostly live in a vacuum. Sure texas and Fla and Detroit are all different. But not as different as Spain and Hungary are. And forget about the romantic idea Europe is the nice place it’s portrayed as in American TV shows. Reality check Milan Italy is as bad if not worse than Detroit. It’s the hood there.

Asia ain’t a bargain either for safety, Africa is very dangerous, as is South America.

America isn’t more dangerous than most places.

Americans have the most self centered idealisms as anywhere I’ve ever been

News flash: the world don’t revolve around America. Most countries over the last 20 years have grown to despise Americans.

I was in Egypt. I didn’t like being a American there in February 2020, Tbilisi Georgia was another dicey spot I ended up in. Within the “tourist bubble”‘it’s safe. I wasn’t in that-long story. I managed ok, but scary place on most areas. Like Vegas-go off strip and have a look in north town, Compton, Milan, or Munich where I’m at now. There’s bad shit everywhere.

Helping people is cool, can’t accuse me of ever steering someone into a jam.

Read a few 1000 of my posts, maybe you’ll learn not to hate me.

Have a great summer, summer is the best💪😃

Best
Fatboy
You're absolutely right. I know plenty of people in Spain who got assaulted, robbed etc.

I know an American guy who got assaulted with steel pipes while he was sleeping, they broke both of his legs.

My father knew a guy who went to Barcelona to buy a car, somehow someone must have noticed that he was carrying cash money, so he got stabbed with a screwdriver.

Shit happens everywhere.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're absolutely right. I know plenty of people in Spain who got assaulted, robbed etc.

I know an American guy who got assaulted with steel pipes while he was sleeping, they broke both of his legs.

My father knew a guy who went to Barcelona to buy a car, somehow someone must have noticed that he was carrying cash money, so he got stabbed with a screwdriver.

Shit happens everywhere.
Barcelona is a beautiful city, don’t take a wrong turn walking. Great food, Iberian ham🥰.

The safest place in the world that I know of is Monaco or Monte Carlo. It’s super small, and the police there are on their game. Go 2 miles outside MC and well……. Your on your own.

No substitute for street smarts. Or knowing how to keep your mouth shut. And no wreckless eyeballing. Also leave the Rolex at home. No attention, hide in plain sight. Those are international rules. They work most everywhere.

Fatboy<——-avoids problems

Tadaimarlon

Barcelona is a beautiful city, don’t take a wrong turn walking. Great food, Iberian ham🥰.

The safest place in the world that I know of is Monaco or Monte Carlo. It’s super small, and the police there are on their game. Go 2 miles outside MC and well……. Your on your own.

No substitute for street smarts. Or knowing how to keep your mouth shut. And no wreckless eyeballing. Also leave the Rolex at home. No attention, hide in plain sight. Those are international rules. They work most everywhere.

Japan is pretty safe too, nobody is going to steal your Rolex here

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

i found the picasso museum in barcelona fascinating.
seeing his early paintings of things looking real
like of fruit in a basket looking like fruit in a basket before he developed his style
also his "doodles" of naked women drawn in his stye done as an old man
in addition to many of his paintings we are familiar and not so familiar with.
sorry for the digression
carry on men