Advice on Cue Tip Business

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I am in need of a little advice here. I am on Ali Baba. I buy a little fishing equipment here and there. Most times, I just like to see the array of different items available.

I started looking at Pool Cue Tips and this is my dilemma.

Should I go with Knock Off Kamui Tips.

Pork Leather.
Import Pig.
Baked Pig.
Or, probably better. Import Baked Pig.

Please help. Sleepless in Regina, Canada.

Of course, this is just a joke thread. But, it might be interesting to see how some of these actually play, as there seems to be no end of different brands of tips.

I could probably buy some, and sell them in the Machinery Forum as the greatest tip ever made. Even tho, these ones don't have raggy edges on them.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The only reason I would ever buy any tips on there would be to get a clear example of a fake to be able to show the difference. I did that with Moori tips once so I could see the difference.

cammel8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No need to buy the knock offs which are more expensive just get cheap black ones and Tell people they are Kamuis. I have a guy out here where I live that does that shit. I repair more shit off that mans lathe than all the others combined. Bad part is people keep going back to him because the local APA owner has a hard on for him and has him come to all the events because he makes his own cues and is in the blue book of cues so he's the best around. I am not even that good at repairs yet and I could do better quality cue than this guy. To say his work is bad would be a compliment. I have never seen such shoddy workmanship in all my life.

He's a total piece of shit. I actually figured out he was using cheap ones when someone brought me their shaft that they had a tip put on by him, because the tip was coming off. I pulled it off and asked him how much it cost him and he said it was a kamui and cost him 40 or 50 bucks. I looked at it and it was a cheap tip I can get for like 3 or 4 bucks. The idiot not only put on a shit tip but he put it on backwards and didn't even buff it so it was still clear as day what tip it was.

I have went so far as to walk up to a friend of mine while he was at the guys booth at the LTC and told him I would do the work for free what ever he wanted as long as he didn't let that butcher touch his stick cause no matter what It will end up on my lathe anyway, He walked away and came back later and thanked me, Apparently one of his team mates had a tip put on (which I ended up fixing later) and he had glue all over the ferule, the tip was tapered out (it was bigger at the end than it was where it was glued by almost millimeter), the tip was domed crooked (I'm not even sure how you would accomplish that on a lathe), he put a dent in the guys shaft and then lied and said it was already there, and to top it all off charged him like 40 bucks.

So like I said just buy a black one then you don't have to get the expensive kamui knock offs.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
It is rather sad when people have to take advantage of others to make a couple of extra dollars.

I posted this in part because the other day, someone posted a link to a Chinglish Site.

So, in part, I was joking when I was reading the descriptions of the tips. Pork Leather, Baked Pork Leather, etc.

One can have tips made and have them stamped to your desire. Myself, and I know a few others who bought what they call a California Tip. Comes out to approx 50 cents a tip. 5 layers, something like that. Install nice, look nice when finished and actually play half decent.

These are the ones that I can install for a player that I know doesn't have that much disposable cash. They end up happy. I make a few bucks on them. Cool. But I am not telling anyone that they are the newest best thing since sliced bread.

I can buy Black Tips that look better than some being flogged in the Machinery Forum, call them Blue Hog Tips and flaunt them as the best tip ever made. Not a reference to Skins at all. I buy those at a good price. Make a bit on them. I use them exclusively, other than a
Dud on one other shaft. I have had the feed back on the Skins, so I know.

Try and sell them for 10 bucks a piece, when they cost me .25 cents.

Was just musing is all. I saw that it seems to be one supplier that was selling both Mooris and Kamuis on Ali Baba.

That, and they seemed to have access to both Everest and Snipers, in pretty much the same box as Tiger sells. Why would I buy from him, when I can get them from Tiger.

Not trying to screw Duc Lambotti's tip sales up at all. Just that, I can't see those 360 tips being much more than Ali Baba tips being stamped and sold for something that I don't believe that they actually are. They are concaved and and raggy looking.

50 cent Cali tips look 100% better out of the bag.

Last edited:

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
I hear moose leather makes for really good tips. And they should be pretty cheap up your way.

Other than that, I'm not big on knock-off anything. Counterfeiting is a lazy way to make money off the work and ideas of others.

Last edited:

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Moose leather. Now that's an idea. I know guys that get a Moose every year and lots of Canadian Natives that would be willing to get rid of the hides.

Never know as that actually might be a good idea. It may have some special properties that cow or swine don't have. And short of water buffalo hide.

Have to figure out how to get rid of the hair is all.

Do you think that the Schick 5 blader would work?

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Moose leather. Now that's an idea. I know guys that get a Moose every year and lots of Canadian Natives that would be willing to get rid of the hides.

Never know as that actually might be a good idea. It may have some special properties that cow or swine don't have. And short of water buffalo hide.

Have to figure out how to get rid of the hair is all.

Do you think that the Schick 5 blader would work?

Bullwinkle cue tips, and the less expensive line could be Rocky cue tips.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
fake or knock offs

Few years ago I was going to buy some kamui tips from the same company.
Except I thought they were the real deal.
after a while I realized that they were not real so I never bought one.

My beast advice is I wouldn't have anything in my shop that anyone could twist the truth and say I put a fake kamui on a customers cue and charged them the high price for it.

In other words I don't need anyone saying I had fake tips, its just bad for business.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Burn it off - that's what the natives do.

TW

I have witnessed a couple of Goat butcherings by Nigerians. They build a fire and throw the Goat on top of it and burn the hair off of it. Then they remove it and cut it up. So that must be a common practice.