Advice on Cue Tips

Rack’em

Hi Everyone. I need some advice on cue tips. I recently started playing again and it seems that a lot has changed in the world of cue tips. Back when I used to play in the 90's and early 2000's, tips like LePro and Triangle were what many of us were using, and Moori was the only layered tip that I had heard of at that time. Now I see most people are using layered tips. There are many different layered tips that I see being advertised with different hardness levels. Do you have any advise on which are the some of the better layered tips, and how does the hardness level affect playability? I remember hard tips used to be good for more action on the cue ball such as draw strokes, and softer tips reduced the amount of miscues you might have. Does that still hold true for the hardness level of layered tips, or is it more about how the hit feels with the different hardness levels? I appreciate any feedback.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
You'll get as many recommendations as there are tips. If you liked the Mooris back then, then layered tips are worth looking into. If you didn't, I wouldn't bother. Mooris back then were as good as- or better than any modern offerings. Even current Mooris aren't as good. Zan tips are the best of the layered ones IMO, but I still stick to my pressed LePros.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stick with what worked for you in the lepro and triangles,

The expensive layered tips that need constant care aren't worth the trouble or money, and don't make extra balls for you.

I've went through several brands, no noticable advantage, for me
Me too.
Tried a bunch of layered tips and went back to solid Triangles.
The only thing I noticed was more money in my pocket.
$20 or so just for a tip not including installation is nuts.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Everyone. I need some advice on cue tips. I recently started playing again and it seems that a lot has changed in the world of cue tips. Back when I used to play in the 90's and early 2000's, tips like LePro and Triangle were what many of us were using, and Moori was the only layered tip that I had heard of at that time. Now I see most people are using layered tips. There are many different layered tips that I see being advertised with different hardness levels. Do you have any advise on which are the some of the better layered tips, and how does the hardness level affect playability? I remember hard tips used to be good for more action on the cue ball such as draw strokes, and softer tips reduced the amount of miscues you might have. Does that still hold true for the hardness level of layered tips, or is it more about how the hit feels with the different hardness levels? I appreciate any feedback.
I like Ultraskins and Thoroughbreds. US are inexpensive($30/10 if you buy on AZ) and play great, last long. T'breds are a lil more $$ but still only 10bux/ea. I've tried a bunch and these two are my go to. Good ol Triangles are a good choice. Can be kind of inconsistent but i've heard that Tweeten has improved QC.

jshaw

Registered
I'm using a soft Ultraskin for the first time and I like it. I received some Precision tips made by Dennis Searing that I'm waiting to try next which are $10 and I've heard good things about them as well. They are cheap too compared to Kamui and most other layered tips.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Techno Dud by Outsville is worth a try.
Love mine, and my installer was impressed with the quality. I'd trust his opinion over mine! Lol

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All very good advice from those above IMO- I think that you first need to decide harder or softer tip preference. if your preference is for the harder tip- I think the above posters' recommendation on Triangle or Le Pro make sense. if you prefer a softer tip- I also agree on the Ultraskins.

Keep it simple for yourself and heed this advice.

Last edited:

Rack’em

Thanks everyone for the feedback and advice. I will stick with the Triangle tips for now like most of you have suggested, and then maybe try out a soft layered tip on one of my other shafts and see if that's a good option for me.

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What I found online from Feb 2021, not responsible for accuracy​

LIST: WHAT CUE TIP DO THE PRO's USE​

Here is the list of players and the tip company they might be using these days:
Scott Frost – Moori medium.
Van Boening – Brown Kamui Hard
Rodney Morris – Triangle tips.
Efren – ElkmasterSVB
Jayson Shaw – Kamui black medium
Mika Immonen – Kamui black soft
Mike Dechaine – Predator victory tip
Dennis Orcollo – Tiger’s Sniper
Warren Kiamco – Tiger’s Sniper
Earl Strickland – Moori Quick
Corey Deuel – elk master milk dud
Mike Dechaine – brown Kamui
Appleton – Kamui Black
S. SVB – Kamui Brown M
Shannon Daulton – Blackhearts
Yukio Akagariyama – Kamui BLACK S
Jayson Shaw – Kamui BLACK M
Jeffrey Ignacio – Kamui CLEAR BLACK M
Tomoko Kubota – Kamui ORIGINAL SS
Sanjin Pehlivanovic – Kamui BLACK S
Thorsten Hohmann – Kamui ORIGINAL S
Niels Feijen – Kamui ORIGINAL S
Florian Kohler – Kamui BLACK SS
Ralf Souquet – Kamui ORIGINAL SS
Jon Pinegar aka Hennessee – wizards
Dee Adkins – Le pro
Shawn Putnam – Tiger
Jose Parica – elk master
Chris Szuter – elk master
Tony Robles – Kamui tips
Larry Nevel – Kamui tips
Jeremy Sossei – Kamui tips
Buddy Hall – blackish Le Pros
Nick Varner – blackish Le Pros
David Howard – blackish Le Pros
Larry Hubbard – blackish Le Pros
Jimmy Mataya – blackish Le Pros
Wade Crane – blackish Le Pros
Eddie Taylor – blackish Le Pros
Jack Heinz – blackish Le Pros
Jay Swanee Swanson – blackish Le Pros
Mike Tennessee – blackish Le Pros
Jim Rempe – blackish Le Pros

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
KISS.
Keep it simple stupid.
I am sure many here have tried a bunch of different tips and
came back to the good old stand byes.
Can't beat a hard pressed Triangle at about a buck apiece.
Very little maintenance and they last a good long time.

It's still the Indian not the arrow in my mind.
As I have said before, a lights out player will pull a stick off the wall
and beat everyone in the room.

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Silver Member
I have been slowly moving to Kamui clear soft on most of my cues. I wont change a tip if i don't need to though. if it is on the cue, and has clearance, i leave it alone. I moved to soft because i find i over hit too much with hard tips. my buddy is the opposite, it under hits with a soft tip so he plays with a hard tip. we will swap cues once in a while and the games we play tend to go downhill quickly ;)

I have yet to replace the first kamui soft installed 2 years ago. it has hundreds of hours of play on it. still looks new. while definitely pricier, if one tip is lasting me multiple years, i don't mind the initial cost. I scuff it once in while, but that is all the maintenance it has needed. I have had more issues with leather tips than the layered. both have their pros and cons. I really like the sound a kamui soft makes which is the main reason i use them.

i was a triangle guy for quite a while. then on my player i couldn't figure out why sometimes my cue was hitting really well, and others times not. apparently after investigating there was a air bubble in the triangle. it was so inconsistent to when it affected a shot i had no clue. maybe one in 10 shots felt weird and sent CB off in a crazy direction. when my installer removed it he showed the me the bubble in the middle. I had heard stories, but never seen it.

i did love the older Mooris, too bad they were changed. those were my go tos.

TxBullDog

Registered
https://billiards.colostate.edu/resource_files/tip_hardness_chart.pdf Depends on what you want to spend and like… I prefer Kamui clear black soft… You can look at this chart to see similar hardness levels… might help

TxBullDog

Registered

What I found online from Feb 2021, not responsible for accuracy​

LIST: WHAT CUE TIP DO THE PRO's USE​

Here is the list of players and the tip company they might be using these days:
Scott Frost – Moori medium.
Van Boening – Brown Kamui Hard
Rodney Morris – Triangle tips.
Efren – ElkmasterSVB
Jayson Shaw – Kamui black medium
Mika Immonen – Kamui black soft
Mike Dechaine – Predator victory tip
Dennis Orcollo – Tiger’s Sniper
Warren Kiamco – Tiger’s Sniper
Earl Strickland – Moori Quick
Corey Deuel – elk master milk dud
Mike Dechaine – brown Kamui
Appleton – Kamui Black
S. SVB – Kamui Brown M
Shannon Daulton – Blackhearts
Yukio Akagariyama – Kamui BLACK S
Jayson Shaw – Kamui BLACK M
Jeffrey Ignacio – Kamui CLEAR BLACK M
Tomoko Kubota – Kamui ORIGINAL SS
Sanjin Pehlivanovic – Kamui BLACK S
Thorsten Hohmann – Kamui ORIGINAL S
Niels Feijen – Kamui ORIGINAL S
Florian Kohler – Kamui BLACK SS
Ralf Souquet – Kamui ORIGINAL SS
Jon Pinegar aka Hennessee – wizards
Dee Adkins – Le pro
Shawn Putnam – Tiger
Jose Parica – elk master
Chris Szuter – elk master
Tony Robles – Kamui tips
Larry Nevel – Kamui tips
Jeremy Sossei – Kamui tips
Buddy Hall – blackish Le Pros
Nick Varner – blackish Le Pros
David Howard – blackish Le Pros
Larry Hubbard – blackish Le Pros
Jimmy Mataya – blackish Le Pros
Wade Crane – blackish Le Pros
Eddie Taylor – blackish Le Pros
Jack Heinz – blackish Le Pros
Jay Swanee Swanson – blackish Le Pros
Mike Tennessee – blackish Le Pros
Jim Rempe – blackish Le Pros
Outdated for example Shane got sponsored by HOW tips and uses a HOW hard. Pros change tips often to whoever Sponsered…

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
Triangles for sure.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Me too.
Tried a bunch of layered tips and went back to solid Triangles.
The only thing I noticed was more money in my pocket.
$20 or so just for a tip not including installation is nuts.
OK I have gone to the dark side.
I was talked into getting a Tiger sniper tip put on.
It cost $31.00 installed ouch!
So far after playing a couple weeks I can't tell the difference from a solid Triangle.
It's not a bad tip just no change from a solid one for me.

IbeAnEngineer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Recently, I have been using Ultraskin mediums and like them a lot. They seem to be holding up real well and only cost 3-4 bucks.