After months of work... my prototype is...

Chris Abaya Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I cut up some old house cues from the early 80's that I got a few months ago that came with the Brunswick Gold Crown 2 table I bought. I believe the wood was wenge. I have some curly maple I used for points and started to build a simple 4 point cue.

vgrooves.jpg

pointblanks.jpg

Glued it up... points came out nice and even...
gluedpoints.jpg

pointend.jpg

I did the a-joint pretty darn good with 0.003 run out...
ajoint.jpg

I did the joint ring work... completed the butt sleeve section and pretty much all the pieces...
jointwork.jpg

fullcue.jpg

Then one day, I was trying to do some minor facing work... but I didn't realize the butt end of the cue wasn't chuck up and secured yet and I inadvertently turned on the lathe at full speed.... 2 seconds later....

broken.jpg

This is how quickly things can change :angry:

Luckily, I was not hurt and my lathe wasn't damaged and this was a prototype but it would have been a nice addition to my set of house cues... :mad:

Last edited:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ouch. Glad you didn't get hurt. Would have been a nice looking cue. Keep it as a reminder.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's why you can't take meds that make you drowsy and be in a work shop. Other distractions can cause this,as well as being over tired.
Methodical systems can prevent this sort of thing from happening as well. Simple things like a cover over the off/on while it is being set up is something I use a lot on the CNC lathe and other machines I set up. A moments lost concentration can cost ya life if your not careful. Anyway, now you can correct that joint that you had 0.003 out, lol. Just glad you are OK.
Neil

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Nice jump handle and cue extension. :grin-square::eek:
Sorry bud.
Keep safe.
Ingats.

63Kcode

AKA Larry Vigus
Silver Member
Tough lesson! It would have been a great looking cue.

Glad you are OK.

Larry

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am NOT a cue maker. But that was a great looking cue b4 the 'negligent discharge'.. Sometimes you learn more from mistakes...

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
It was looking good, but one moment changes a lot. Done that myself a time or 3. Luckily you were unharmed. AND it wasn't an expensive piece like ebony, or amboyna burl....otherwise you'd be too sick to post anything about it.
I have the same lathe to do shaft and butt tapering and twice now, even though I've had the same setup for 12 or so years, I have forgot to change the roller bearing bar from shaft to butt and start cutting the shaft taper to a butt....thankfully, I noticed it early enough and the blank was oversized enough that no harm/no foul, but....
a little loss of focus can have a big impact.
That blank was looking very good too, keep up the process, just remember to tighten the chuck..:D
Dave

Chris Abaya Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks guys! It literally took only a couple of seconds - as soon as I turned the lathe on, the cue was doomed :grin: There was no way I was quick enough to stop it.

Too bad I didn't even get a chance to see how the cue plays.

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice cue and yes it only takes a second for disaster to descend. OH! and what was I thinking?

Mario

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks guys! It literally took only a couple of seconds - as soon as I turned the lathe on, the cue was doomed :grin: There was no way I was quick enough to stop it.

Too bad I didn't even get a chance to see how the cue plays.

Here's mine that I saved. You don't need the picture because you can imagine it real easy. I keep ebony cored in two sizes. 3/4 and 7/8 cores. 7/8 for handles. Well not thinking, I used a handle piece for a forearm. 6 points one veneer. Looked real good til the final turn at .835. Can you see it.:eek:

Chris Abaya Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's mine that I saved. You don't need the picture because you can imagine it real easy. I keep ebony cored in two sizes. 3/4 and 7/8 cores. 7/8 for handles. Well not thinking, I used a handle piece for a forearm. 6 points one veneer. Looked real good til the final turn at .835. Can you see it.:eek:

:eek: I can see it! :grin: