Aiming Errors by Pros

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pros do have aiming failures from time to time. More often than not when pros miss it's hard to tell why, but there are times when it's pretty obvious that the player lined up the shot wrong. What makes an aiming error even more obvious is when the player stays down on the shot and maintains a nice straight stroke throughout their delivery.

Here's an example of John Morro lining one up really bad during this year's World Pool Masters:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxxN6Ss-VPo#t=76m05s

They show it again in slow motion at the end of the rack:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxxN6Ss-VPo#t=79m20s

I bet there's a ton of them out there.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Looks like he allowed for the deflection and the cue ball did not deflect to the left .

Ridiculous to say that's an aiming issue.

The one ball was stellar - watch out for the easy shot that follows it, don't see the winning line because of it, and definitely do not take an extension unless you absolutely have to.

I also find that type of shot difficult with inside - far more difficult than with outside. He was also slightly hampered and worrying about scratching.

Last edited:

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know....

Something definitely went haywire during that shot. Either he accounted for squirt and then hit center ball or he just aimed it horribly. I vote for an aiming error.

I don't know....

Something definitely went haywire during that shot. Either he accounted for squirt and then hit center ball or he just aimed it horribly. I vote for an aiming error.

No good player aims incorrectly.

Failure of mechanics or failure of mind, take your pick. In my view, his head failed and his body followed.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just a couple days ago in one of his tournament matches, I saw SVB miss a 5 ball that was no more than a foot from dead center of the end pocket and the cue ball was no more than 15 inches almost straight out from the 5 ball. From what I remember, he didn't even hit the pocket...not even the points.

He didn't have to do anything special to get on the next ball, so he must have had a mental relapse or something. He kind of just looked at the shot afterward with a perplexed look.

It happens to everyone.