Aiming With Shadows

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
FEZ and Cowboy Jimmy Moore at the CORNER POCKET in Albuquerque

Yes, I was around FEZ and Cowboy Jimmy Moore at the CORNER POCKET in Albuquerque......Jimmy still played well into his 80s, especially Straight Pool.

I'm pretty sure he was from the Albuquerque neck of the woods. He ran with Jimmy Moore, I think. There is a link for an interview with Jimmy and Rick Owens, his relative, just before he passed. I believe Fez, Jimmy, and Ralph Greenleaf, were partners. Hal Houle knew Greenleaf and probably Fez. This is just what I've heard. No personal contact.

Spidey started a thread when Fez passed a couple of years ago. I'll look for it later.

Best,
Mike

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Yes, I was around FEZ and Cowboy Jimmy Moore at the CORNER POCKET in Albuquerque......Jimmy still played well into his 80s, especially Straight Pool.

Cj,
Fez (Phillip Kasem) was a very good friend of mine - he was very good friends with Jimmy Moore - as well as The Cincinatti Kid, Don Willis - and most of what Fez shared with me came directly from those two men. Through Fez, I was able to become very good friends with Cowboy Jimmy Moore - which provided me with an incredible education in the game of pool and the game of life. Fez passed away in 2011 at the age of 96 - I really miss him a lot. He is one of the smartest people I ever met.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Rick,

Thanks for the response. I think GG's thread could've had a lot more mileage if it was debated more than argued. Even if you're right, a different viewpoint may open a previously unexplored avenue and increase the knowledge base. Kind of like, "two heads are better than one", line of thinking.

The lights on my table don't show the typical shadows as they are 8 foot fluorescents. I don't really have a back of the ball shadow, but get a well defined "triangle" at the base of the ball. View attachment 362134

View attachment 362139
The large shadow has a tendency to be towards the center of the table instead of behind the object ball.

There was a player that supposedly hung out with Greenleaf named Fez, that mentioned a "shadow system". Spidey may be able to chime in about that because I'm not sure about the details.

For sure, there are adjustments. I've developed my own because I'm looking at a different type of shadow than on GG's diagram. If I wanted to pursue the system, I suppose I could learn adjustments for all types of lighting. I even tried a light off to the side and found very little difference in the system, so the point about an offset light didn't sway me.

It comes down to this. If you want to make something work, it will. I got the same static from posters about the ferrule/stick aiming system. It works for all shots, but was panned by purists. SVB doesn't know what the hell he's talking about! :grin-square: I posted a banking system on here and got little response. A couple of months later I saw it on a DVD from somebody else. :thumbup:

The SEE system effectively uses shadows and adjustments to get you on the shot line. Darren Appleton uses it. CTE/Pro One works and is used by top pros. They're just not point and shoot systems like ghostball. They become that way after practicing with them, but how do you diagram what your visual perception is telling you as you blend the images in your mind? Tough call and an easy target for ridicule by the closed minded.

Best,
Mike

Some one just hit me up the other day about this. The aim point is just a B.O.B (back of ball) point. In the second picture if you take the shadow exit from the ball on its left side (opposite of cut)and bisect that point through the object ball.....that spot on the front side of the ball is the actual contact point on the pocketing line.

I'll give you all more in a few more years....hurry up and wait lol

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Darren mentioned using the SEE system during TAR podcast #32. His comments begin around the 5 minute mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4y196iqUUs&feature=youtu.be

As he said, he only uses it on certain shots, like rail shots. Maybe these are the only shots he is confident that it works on?

Anyway, he claims that "the top players really go off feel and vision", so I doubt he is a SEE "user" in the strictest sense of things.
He probably isn't a strict SEE user but he does recommend it. Anything that is more objective is going to be a helpful tool.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Pat Johnson
PJ
PJ
PJ
PJ
PJ
PJ
PJ
lol

Rick, when I told you I wasn't interested in getting PMs from you about the soap opera playing in your head, that meant I don't want to go steady in public either. I'm sure you'll find somebody else to obsess over who appreciates your... unique... qualities.

pj
chgo

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
lol

Rick, when I told you I wasn't interested in getting PMs from you about the soap opera playing in your head, that meant I don't want to go steady in public either. I'm sure you'll find somebody else to obsess over who appreciates your... unique... qualities.

pj
chgo

What in hell is that piece of crap?

That was all way before my PM to you that I thought might be a heads up for you & you advised that you did not want to receive ANY PMs from me.

And you bring it up NOW? That post of mine is from over a year ago, I think when you were on 'vacation' from AZB participation.

Also if you are going to be prolific in posting your thoughts & opinions, then you are going to often be a subject of reference.

This is a 'public' forum even if privately own. What you put out is for public consumption & 'use'.

If you don't want to be a point of reference then stop posting.:wink:

Best Wishes.

Last edited:

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
When I hadn't posted for nearly two years. That's some dedicated stalking.

I still don't want to go steady. Sorry.

pj
chgo

Not 'stalking' at all.

But... You have made some very definitive expressions, many if not most rather valuable. Occasionally you may have gone off track a bit. No human being here on earth is 'perfect'.

Best Wishes.

Last edited:

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
W
lol

pj
chgo
wow dude, why be such an ass?

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
I recently came across an old thread by Grey Ghost, on shadow aiming. He mentioned an update, but I must have missed it.
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=201526
I can use it on my table with two 8 foot fluorescent bulbs. There aren't many shadows, but once you dial in on what part of them to hit according to distance and cut angle, it's fairly accurate.

I suppose with each table being set up differently as far as light positioning, with a few adjustments a player could use this technique to pocket balls. Especially on those nights where automatic never happens. :grin-square:

Best,
Mike
Fairly UNreliable, like when you move to another's table with completely different lighting. There are several far more powerful aiming rubrics.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Fairly UNreliable, like when you move to another's table with completely different lighting. There are several far more powerful aiming rubrics.
Sounds like you gave it a excellent effort doing your research on it and applying it. About as much as you did to fabricate George Balabushka made his own blanks and Burton Spain was with SCHON cues for one of your articles. It honestly is anything but out of your ordinary.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Sounds like you gave it a excellent effort doing your research on it and applying it. About as much as you did to fabricate George Balabushka made his own blanks and Burton Spain was with SCHON cues for one of your articles. It honestly is anything but out of your ordinary.
Thank you for the article corrections. I had no agenda to falsify those two facts.