ALFA LV RACKS

FastManners

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In addition to the racks, the tables have been playing really slowly. I don't recall these tables/cloth being that slow before, but you can see players resorting to trying to muscle the ball around to get shape. I don't know what has changed, maybe a dodgy batch of cloth? Lee Van was also complaining about weird table rolls in his match with Gomez. That was the World Ten Ball match where the ref also incorrectly told Gomez he had used his extension at hill hill. Doh.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In addition to the racks, the tables have been playing really slowly. I don't recall these tables/cloth being that slow before, but you can see players resorting to trying to muscle the ball around to get shape. I don't know what has changed, maybe a dodgy batch of cloth? Lee Van was also complaining about weird table rolls in his match with Gomez. That was the World Ten Ball match where the ref also incorrectly told Gomez he had used his extension at hill hill. Doh.
According to Kelly Fisher commenting on the women's final, the cloth was revised from the billiard grade stuff to whatever it is now. Also it was raining cats and dogs and so much for 30% humidity.

FastManners

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
According to Kelly Fisher commenting on the women's final, the cloth was revised from the billiard grade stuff to whatever it is now. Also it was raining cats and dogs and so much for 30% humidity.
I have to say, I have never known humidity to be an issue within the Rio convention room. Especially not where it would slow the tables down that much. I think the interesting thing is that the quality of cloth just isn't there for this current event Almost all the players that I have seen, have struggled with the pace of the tables.
This has been highlighted by the fact that from what I know, very few packages have been put together, although I am sure that is also because of the racking issues. It's a shame that the equipment, racking and officiating has been less than optimum, as it looks pretty professional. I am sure CSI/Predator will have a post mortem after this event and look to improve all of the previously mentioned issues.

Nyquil

I own one of these racks was curious to try it out. The three pegs are very smooth on the cloth. Aside from that it's all downhill. The rack is thick as hell. If you play straight pool it will get in the way of break balls. I couldn't get any tighter rack than my diamond wood rack. The rack is so large it will not fit in my rack spot on my pro am. Really annoying. Best rack for me is still the template racks. One day someone will finally invent a worthy rack. That will be a good day.

tomatoshooter

I've played on the Predator cloth and it's never been slow, it's always been at least as fast as I would like. I think Kelly Fisher must be right because I watched some of the games and the cloth looked ssslloooooowww. I like the variable conditions, although the slug racks are far outside of the acceptable range. As long as all the tables at the tournament play similarly it's fair.

tomatoshooter

I own one of these racks was curious to try it out. The three pegs are very smooth on the cloth. Aside from that it's all downhill. The rack is thick as hell. If you play straight pool it will get in the way of break balls. I couldn't get any tighter rack than my diamond wood rack. The rack is so large it will not fit in my rack spot on my pro am. Really annoying. Best rack for me is still the template racks. One day someone will finally invent a worthy rack. That will be a good day.
The Delta 13 rack seems to be nearest the ideal. The aluminum allows a narrower rack to maintain the necessary stiffness. I don't know how well the leather inserts muffle the rack but after a while you get used to the noise. They fit in the spot for the rack on Diamond tables.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is the main part plastic or metal? Do the faces that touch the balls look and feel very smooth?

CaptainBly

Registered
I know two guys who have this rack at there houses. Neither use them anymore. I think it was am interesting concept but in reality it's not great. My biggest complaint with them is that all the side are curved, so it makes it tough to get the rack square as you have no straight reference to the rail. I have noticed no difference in rack tightness compared to a regular triangle rack. Like almost every Predator item, seems this was rushed to market before all the bugs were worked out. I'm sure they will release a version 2 plus 3,4,5,6,7,8,9 and 10 then it will be good.

Zerksies

I've seen a lot of dry racks in this past tournament. I wouldn't be very happy with the rack.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
probably the case. in a first round match one of the commentators said something about it but after that, nothing. the rack maker is their employer.

If you don't have anything nice to say, make sure you don't point out any reality LOL

One of the worst things about playing league matches is having to deal with players that have no idea of what a good rack is. 75% of the breaks between any player under like a 400 Fargo or a 4 APA ends up in a cluster F due to loose racking. And the funny thing is that many times the breaker thinks it was their fault the rack did not open up.

MrBouncy

The Delta 13 rack seems to be nearest the ideal. The aluminum allows a narrower rack to maintain the necessary stiffness. I don't know how well the leather inserts muffle the rack but after a while you get used to the noise. They fit in the spot for the rack on Diamond tables.

I love my Delta-13 Select rack, def gives the tightest racks when I don't want to use a template (1p/14.1/etc)

The leather inserts make a huge difference, the sound goes from a bright ping to a dull clack and is much less abrasive on delicate ears.

FastManners

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know two guys who have this rack at there houses. Neither use them anymore. I think it was am interesting concept but in reality it's not great. My biggest complaint with them is that all the side are curved, so it makes it tough to get the rack square as you have no straight reference to the rail. I have noticed no difference in rack tightness compared to a regular triangle rack. Like almost every Predator item, seems this was rushed to market before all the bugs were worked out. I'm sure they will release a version 2 plus 3,4,5,6,7,8,9 and 10 then it will be good.
It seems like Predator has released an MVP (Minimum Viable Product) for a number of new products, such as the rack, cloth and tables. In my humble opinion it is an error to do that for a paid for consumer products as you end up burning your best customers and sully what was a pretty stellar brand name. I think they need to step it up and rectify these issues quickly.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They definitely went out of their way to not say they were bad racks. It's actually quite amazing that you only saw a few racks like this, with them breaking from the side. It's not the physical racks guys, it's the rackers. They have a hard job, can't imagine the pressure of racking so many times and the pressure it has on your back too.
You get used to it after a while- I know this for certain..

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If they want better racks, first thing they need to do is take the gloves off. You have to be able to feel the balls to ensure they are racking well. With the gloves on all you can do is inspect them after you rack. So what if you get the balls a little dirty since they are getting swapped out each match.

Does anyone know how well John Lehman plays? I can't imagine it's all that well just based on all the bad racks. Any 600+ Fargo Rated player should be able to rack effectively.

Nyquil

Is the main part plastic or metal? Do the faces that touch the balls look and feel very smooth?
Feels like some sort of poly. It's heavy you could thump someone on the head and prob knock em out lol. It's a substantial feeling rack. Came in a nice box etc. Unfortunately, it just doesn't deliver tight racks and I have no idea why they made it so thick.