Allan Hopkins Million Dollar Update.

mnorwood

Moon
Silver Member
Will it happen? Does it have serious sponsarship? Will people put the cash up for the qualifiers? Any thoughts?
 
Several years ago, a million-dollar tournament was promoted, but not well advertised ahead of time. There were qualifiers, et cetera. I think it was supposed to be played on a bar box, race to 21, if memory serves me right, and the entry fee was a whopping $10,000.

Most people who read about this tournament were skeptical. They did not know WHO the promoters were, and posting up $10,000 ahead of time as the entry fee was kind of a risk in the minds of some folks. This million-dollar event never got off the ground because there were not enough folks who paid the $10,000 entry fee ahead of time.

Having said that, Allen Hopkins is a known entity, and as such, his reputation speaks for itself. Everybody is aware of the innovative pool exhibitions and tournaments that he promotes and co-promotes.

When the Skins Billiards Championship first came to the fore, it was limited to 16 pool players, and the entry fee was $5,000. I think there was -- subject to check -- $40,000 added. The total purse, $120,000 -- again, subject to check -- was quite a large purse for pool players to shoot for, and EVERYBODY wanted to be a part of this event. Though the majority of players were sponsored and did not have to pay the $5,000 entry fee out of their pockets, there were some who did pay the $5,000 entry fee in hopes to take a shot at the big cheese. In fact, there was a waiting list of pool players who wanted to participate in this event.

Because of Hopkins being a well-known pool figure, I don't think any pool player would have a problem posting up the entry fee for this event. In fact, I think most pool players will be looking forward to this. He has announced this million-dollar tournament well in advance. Personally, I think it will be a huge success.

The IPT gave some pool players hope for a future, mainly because of the multi-million-dollar purses for its events. Though today, it seems to be a dead fish floating in the water, it still paid pool players more monies in their events than ever before. Coming in last place in Vegas, for example, paid $2,000, I think.

I have spoken with Allen Hopkins on the offs, so to speak, and I was impressed with his desire to elevate the sport and help pool players make a decent living. He was sincere. His actions do speak louder than his words, as evidenced by the plethora of events he brings to the pool world -- Super Billiards Expo, Skins, Texas Hold'em, Trick Shot Championships, 7-Ball Championships, et cetera.

If Allen Hopkins promotes a million-dollar tournament, as in the "Field of Dreams," you can best believe that after he builds it, they will come. I just hope he keeps it on the East Coast! :p

JAM
 
This is an event I am already planning on going to. EVERYTHING Allen has promoted works! In the state of pool today I don't think Allen would come out publicly and make pointless remarks about such an event.....what good would it do?

I say when the event goes off everyone who feels it was hogwash can stay home and NOT enter, and not attend. I'll let you know how it was.

I just had a dejavu going back to the first posts about the IPT! :D

Gerry
 
Keep a good thought. Enough positivity might produce fruit.
 
if I'm not mistaken, the proposed tournament JAM is referring to was structured so that all pros and top amateurs were on one side of the bracket while everyone else was on the other side, interesting idea....

I think they took out a full page ad in Billiards Digest also
 
Back
Top