Allison Fisher called a foul on herself on a hill-hill match!

Ponytail

...it's about consistency
Silver Member
It isn't a foul if the referee didn't declare it.

Why don't you collect some fouls on video that weren't self-called and demand that the match be replayed? Persist in your demand and you will be considered mentally unstable by everyone including the opposing player. Some might write it off as just bad eyesight on your part in conjunction with mental instability.

Do you think everyone in the audience should be able to call fouls? What assurance do we have that all the fouls you think you've seen aren't just errors on your part?

So, if the rule is, the tip of your cue can't touch any ball other than the cue ball. And it does.
Did you commit a foul?
It does not matter if there is a referee present or not. Did you commit a foul?

Ponytail

...it's about consistency
Silver Member
Or maybe the subtleties are above your intellectual level. That's another possibility. Some of the world's worst criminals considered themselves morally superior.

I should avoid these threads. It's talking to children.

Insulting someone's intellect. Classy. So if you foul, and no one is there to call it, you'll cheat, and when your ethics are called into question, you then stoop to insults.

Good luck sir.

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Or maybe the subtleties are above your intellectual level. That's another possibility. Some of the world's worst criminals considered themselves morally superior.

I should avoid these threads. It's talking to children.

Nothing subtle about a lack of integrity. Even less subtle is that this sport's questionable history allows a single act of integrity to become a big deal.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Poster should of put up a chart on who would of cheated to win and who wouldn't of. Respect of others, one values and just plain honesty have been losing this battle since the 80's.

I've cheated while gambling probably three times in forty years. I was the only one who knew, I was young, but had reason. If your in a gambling match/money up and your outta town and in a safe room and your playing with a guy constantly trying to cheat and take advantage of ya, then he ....deserves what he gets. Anyone that thinks a pool game with money involved is not business you better rethink life.

Gsitz89

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always call fouls on myself! I was at a tourney this weekend and my opponent had fired at the nineball and didn't relize when things had settled that a ball had fallen in. Instead of taking advantage of his mistake I told him and he ran out. Good thing I still won the set...

mel_smOg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why is this a front page story on the Dragon Promotions page??
I don't think it should even be mentioned, anywhere, ever...

You are supposed to call a foul on yourself, no matter what the circumstances are, no matter the "wager" is.....

Next thing, we will be rewarding people for doing the right thing..

I am totally with you

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Take away the "Required". The standard should be when playing a game to find out who's the best, you should be ethical enough to say that you committed a foul.

I require it of myself. I'm the one that has to know that I didn't actually win, but I cheated instead. So that's the standard I play by.

the bold is pretty much what Allison has said regarding the matter

rrick33

Rick
Silver Member
Creedo asked "What exactly is the "Agenda" you see here?
What underlying motives do you think people have when they praise self-reporting fouls?"

You and a few others on this site have been diligent in propagating the illusion that self calling a foul is the "right" way to play...It is the only way to maintain "Integrity" and anything less is "cheating".

I think I got all the key words right since you've pushed the issue....excuse me the "agenda" with all due vigor on numerous occasions.

Why is that?

What's so incredibly amazing about a player self calling a foul that you have been compelled to dog pile on the issue throughout multiple threads and preach the moral perspective with such zeal that the Pope himself would feel inferior, unless of course there was an agenda?

Thou thinks you protest too much.....to not have an agenda.

BTW, how many minds have you changed with all that preaching?

Last edited:

Hairy-Redneck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very, very classy Allison!
fing24.gif

110313a.jpg

Story here --> http://www.dragonpromotions.com/news/11032013a.html

If classy means dumbass in another language then I agree with you.

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
Bob is the boss! Listen to this man. He could find fault with Jesus Christ...sometimes the 1st ammendment can be so annoying.

Bob have you ever had a ref. preside over your debates?

Chaos....LOL.

Don't answer.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great for her!
At the end of the day we should reflect back and think of how we performed in the real game "life" .
I am just like everyone else , I have had bad days and good days, hopefully at the end of my life I will be able to say I overcame life and it's temptations more often than not.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good for her...still not calling a foul on myself. Pay attention to the game or pay the price.

SilentLurker

Registered
Say what?:confused:
You can't foul twice on one shot.

http://www.epa.org.uk/wrules.php

See F. The Break and K. Standard Fouls

If you go in off the break, it's simply your opponents go, end of visit. If as in Darren's case a ball also hit is cue, but was not spotted by the ref, then it wasn't a legal shot, and therefore incurs a 2 visit penalty. Darren corrected the ref when he gave Mick 1 visit instead of 2.

Maybe it's an English thing from Cricket but most sports rules seem to include a "Spirit of the Game", meaning the importance of fairness. IE not cheating.

In Snooker, players call fouls on themselves all the time and not even really newsworthy. Split hairs all you like about the ref having to call it blah blah, at the end of the day you would have to sleep at night knowing you cheated. Some people naturally aren't cheats and liars and some are.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who ever said it didn't?
No match has ever proceeded where one player's claim overrode the ref's call, against the ref's will.

Actually it ends pretty quickly and easily and without any special difficulty.
This is not a problem that needs "fixing".

Seated player: "the shooter fouled."
Shooter: "No I didn't."
Ref: "I didn't see it. Carry on."

Play then proceeds, with the seated player sulking.
And maybe the public thinks of the shooter as a cheater and maybe they don't.
But that's just the court of public opinion and has no impact whatsoever on the tournament.

You're saying that, for some reason,
you'd handle self-reporting differently than every pool ref in history:

Shooter: "I touched the cue ball."
Ref: "No you didn't. Carry on."
Seated player: "WHAT?!?!!?"

Which one do you think will lead to more problems and meltdowns?

Your choice of words is funny. "Agenda".
What exactly is the "Agenda" you see here?
What underlying motives do you think people have when they praise self-reporting fouls?

I prefer self-calling because I think it's the right way to play pool,
and it's better for the game's image and for ensuring a fair outcome of the match.
It's not because I have an "Agenda".

If someone gives me back an extra 10 dollars in change, I give them back the extra 10.
Do I have a change-giving-back agenda? Do I have some secret plan to screw up the cashier or his employer?

Agenda. lol.

There's no "agenda" rick, there's simply people who think failing to do this is wrong and cheating.
Allison probably would agree. I don't think she'd object at all to being a poster child for honest sportsmanlike play.
If she does, she'll let us know.

It's what I'd expect from her. For the record there are famous instances of golfers self-reporting fouls both
with and without a ref.

I'll address your comments to me. Sorry but you are wrong. I know from experience what referees are supposed to be doing, and in fact, things have gotten very lax over the years. The standards have been lowered, not raised, when it comes to refereeing matches.

Allison needed to relieve herself of the guilt of fouling and knowing that she fouled. If she didn't, there could be repercussions, such as someone in the crowd having seen that she did and didn't report it, or even just to clear her own mind as she proceeded with the match.

That could have been easily remedied if the players knew that all they had to do was to bring it to the attention of the ref to make the final call, and then accept the final call. The burden of guilt would have been removed from Allison and the match would continue.

In the absence of a referee during a match, then yes, both players are required to referee themselves and each other. But when a referee is presiding over the match, the ref has the final say in any call unless there is a controversy where the TD must be called over. Even then, the TD would lean towards the ref unless something out of the ordinary occurred and could be proven.

The ref is not only there to police the match but to also protect the players from unfairness. This takes consistency in calls and not accepting the odd-call that the ref didn't see. If the ref consistently misses calling fouls, then they should be replaced by the TD.

Last edited:

voiceofreason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do snooker rules require players to call fouls against themselves? If they don't your comment is irrelevant.

Interesting to see that sportsmanlike conduct is not actually part of the rules of snooker, whereas in english pool, it usually is.

voiceofreason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In fact, the spirit of the game is the very first rule in English style pool:

The Spirit of the Game

The Game is known as Eight-Ball Pool. It is expected that players will always play the game in the true spirit and in a sporting manner. The Referee will take whatever action is necessary to ensure that the spirit and rules of the game are observed.

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All well and good at the pro levels but in the amateur levels there is very little calling your own fouls. Shame really. Does beating "Derrick, from the pub down the road" really mean so much to people they wouldn't admit a foul?

In snooker at all levels calling a foul on yourself is a must. Perhaps its down to the area in which you play. But I've been playing snooker where players have called a foul on themselves and I couldn't see where they fouled even though I was looking. Its weird...what do you do? Say no mate I didn't see anything crack on lad. Or just get up and say unlucky and play.

Its common decency no matter what you play. Those who know they foul and don't call it because the opponent didn't see it are cheating in my eyes. No where in the rules does it say "if you nudge a ball with your hand its only a foul if you opponent saw it. If not, then carry on shooting and its your opponents fault for not paying attention". No. Doesn't matter if a ref is present or not. We all miss things so its down to the person fouling to call it.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
http://www.epa.org.uk/wrules.php

See F. The Break and K. Standard Fouls

If you go in off the break, it's simply your opponents go, end of visit. If as in Darren's case a ball also hit is cue, but was not spotted by the ref, then it wasn't a legal shot, and therefore incurs a 2 visit penalty. Darren corrected the ref when he gave Mick 1 visit instead of 2.

Maybe it's an English thing from Cricket but most sports rules seem to include a "Spirit of the Game", meaning the importance of fairness. IE not cheating.

In Snooker, players call fouls on themselves all the time and not even really newsworthy. Split hairs all you like about the ref having to call it blah blah, at the end of the day you would have to sleep at night knowing you cheated. Some people naturally aren't cheats and liars and some are.
Section J. Fouls
"A player can only be penalized for one foul at a time.
If two or more fouls are committed during a shot, the foul that carries
the most severe penalty will apply."

This makes sense to me.....I was picturing a situation at snooker where....
...you make a black on a double hit
...you follow it in
...you touch an object ball as you jump out of the way
....all on the same shot....:eek:
...and the ref calls "Foul, 21 away."

By the way....calling a foul on your self is good for your game besides
being a question of morality.
If you always call your fouls, you'll stop stop making so many.

And some fouls, only the player knows...like touching a cue-ball or an
object-ball without actually moving it.

Last edited:

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting to see that sportsmanlike conduct is not actually part of the rules of snooker, whereas in english pool, it usually is.

But then English pool (i.e. English 8 ball or blackball) has ridiculous rules (no offence to the English pool fans)
-you get 2 shots on black if your opponent fouls and you are on the black
-if you hit your own ball and accidentally pots your opponent's ball, it is a foul. But it is not a foul if you pot your own ball and also pot your opponent's ball
-no cushion required when you snooker your opponent, no ball need to hit the cushion after cue ball/object ball contact
-when you get 2 shots on a foul, for the first shot you can shoot your opponent balls
:grin: