Alternative to tighter pockets

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
How can the game be made more challenging for existing pros?

If only one cue stick was allowed, that doesn't mean they have less pocketing ability.

How about a heavier cueball? The impact of a SVB level break is huge.

The direction I am going is how much should you handicap a male player until its about even for a female of similar skill.

Tighter pockets make pocketing less probable. There are many ways this can be done.

Have any men ever tried competing in heels?

Does a male having a lighter cue stick mirror the impact of a women's physicality?

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Draw out your life savings. Challenge Siming Chen to a long race even up. Then come back & tell us she needs a handicap.

Siming Chen Vs. Donny Mills | Race to 15 - 10 Ball . - YouTube

You clearly state the point. Men have too much muscle in their pool game, or lack of controlling the muscle well.

Top pool pro has fine precision control of stroke for both men and women.

So maybe its a mental difference.

How can a man mentally handicap himself to match Siming's level?

Does Siming only play shots she can make, but Donny plays shots he can only make in practice.

And yes I've seen Donny's spinning bank off the short rail into a side pocket. Its just banking into the side pocket its fun to see but not fun to use during competition. He shouldn't be showing moves like that off during a tournament anyway.

Last edited:

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many years ago I played in a charity golf tournament that was played in what can best be described as a cow pasture. Littered in the fairways were washing machines, cars on blocks and old tires. If you hit one of these you had to do a shot. If you hit something placed on the green you had to chug a beer AND do a shot. Some of the best golf I have ever played.
Maybe we can do the same thing here. Just place a few things on the table to make it harder. And if you hit them you drink.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many years ago I played in a charity golf tournament that was played in what can best be described as a cow pasture. Littered in the fairways were washing machines, cars on blocks and old tires. If you hit one of these you had to do a shot. If you hit something placed on the green you had to chug a beer AND do a shot. Some of the best golf I have ever played.
Maybe we can do the same thing here. Just place a few things on the table to make it harder. And if you hit them you drink.
And to think...instead of walking, you coulda ridden a bike.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I noticed in winner break formats, nobody is running out every set from the break. And alternate break formats, not every match is going hill-hill because every inning was a break-and-run.

That tells me the game doesn’t need to be harder for pros. I don’t think we really want to increase the challenge to the point that they start looking like amateurs.

Where we might battle for balls to ultimately win a game. They battle for games to win a set. It’s just a higher level of play.

They still have a finish line and they still are determining winners and losers. I think we have all we need.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Somebody said Filler said he shoots with a 17. Maybe the question is do you want a better pool player or better returns even if it means remedializing the field?

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stop trying to fix everything that is not broken. The harder you make the game for pros- in the end the harder you make it for everyone else- because all the aspiring pros or folks who like competition will want to play under the same conditions- so now pool halls will be forced to accommodate the more difficult playing conditions- now even more of the general public will shy away from the game because it is too hard.

Golf has had serious issues for some time now in attracting new participants- golf equipment stores were closing like mad and major retailers had scaled way back on promoting golf equipment- longer and more challenging golf courses only served to make the game take much longer for the average person to play a round and also made the game even more frustrating for most of the general public.

Covid seems to have helped that a bit due to the distance and outdoor factors being part of that game. You want to chase more folks from whatever pool halls now exist post Covid- start by making the pockets even smaller - any talk of making the game more difficult will eventually lead to someone looking to profit from an equipment change.

Look- I grew up on Gold Crown 1s - and every table in a room had at least 4 3/4 to 5 inch corner pockets except for perhaps one table by the front desk. The general public was able to reasonably enjoy the game from the outset. I do not see the same reaction today from the general public on those Diamond pro cut pockets installed in many rooms to satisfy the more hard core players. One of the problems was that the game itself was changed to accommodate ESPN- ball in hand rules for 9 ball and 8 ball- so we ended up moving to tighter pockets to "tighten up" the game.

Now most of the general public tries a few outings on a Diamond pro cut and then walks from the game forever. Who are we trying to satisfy here?

I have to laugh- most of the folks on this site can't run 40 balls in 14.1- yet they scream that the game is too easy :) Play GREAT POOL by Mark Wilson constantly refers to the 10,000 hours required to get to pro level--10,000 hours! The game is already difficult enough!

Last edited:

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i don't think anybody wants to go back to GC buckets in big time pro tournaments. todays pros are too good, that's just a fact. diamond tables have been great for pro pool. maybe for occasional players they haven't, but that's another thing imo

as for making the game tougher, i don't think the pony stick should be allowed, or atleast that it should be restricted, i think having a shot clock is great. the game also toughens up with pressure, i.e. bigger crowds, bigger prize money.

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
i don't think anybody wants to go back to GC buckets in big time pro tournaments. todays pros are too good, that's just a fact. diamond tables have been great for pro pool. maybe for occasional players they haven't, but that's another thing imo
Think he was talking about how the average/amateur sect has gotten exposed and disappointed by pool halls and parlors emulating the Pro style table as they aren't pro players. Don't think anyone disagrees with tight tables for pro players or accomplished amateurs.

I agree as in any sport, the harder and harder you make it, the further you distance the crowd from participating. If you tournament fish without a 500 HP motor on a 40K boat, the other guy will beat you to the honey hole by 5 seconds.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

If only one cue stick was allowed, that doesn't mean they have less pocketing ability.

The direction I am going is how much should you handicap a male player until its about even for a female of similar skill.

Tighter pockets make pocketing less probable. There are many ways this can be done.

Does a male having a lighter cue stick mirror the impact of a women's physicality?

My answer is that in pool, there is absolutely no reason why a woman can't play as good as any man! You don't have to change anything, they are catching up fast and in China there are already dozens of 'A' player women who only top level men can beat and not always!

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Think he was talking about how the average/amateur sect has gotten exposed and disappointed by pool halls and parlors emulating the Pro style table as they aren't pro players. Don't think anyone disagrees with tight tables for pro players or accomplished amateurs.

I agree as in any sport, the harder and harder you make it, the further you distance the crowd from participating. If you tournament fish without a 500 HP motor on a 40K boat, the other guy will beat you to the honey hole by 5 seconds.
Thank You! That is exactly what I was saying.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You clearly state the point. Men have too much muscle in their pool game, or lack of controlling the muscle well.

Top pool pro has fine precision control of stroke for both men and women.

So maybe its a mental difference.

How can a man mentally handicap himself to match Siming's level?

Does Siming only play shots she can make, but Donny plays shots he can only make in practice.

And yes I've seen Donny's spinning bank off the short rail into a side pocket. Its just banking into the side pocket its fun to see but not fun to use during competition. He shouldn't be showing moves like that off during a tournament anyway.

So Donny looked a little out of stroke (or uncomfortable) and Siming (780+ Fargo) played excellent.

Both Donny Mills and Shaun Wilkie are 750 Fargo players. Donnie lost to Siming, but Shaun beat Siming for some cash convincingly (if my memory is correct).

All players mentioned are pros and Siming proved she is a big gun for sure.

Last edited:

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

5” balls.