Amazing BILLIARDS PHYSICS in Super Slow Motion

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new video that explores the amazing world of billiards physics in super slow motion. I pulled from many past and recent resources, both from my video collection and elsewhere. Check it out:

It includes narrated slomo clips in each of these categories (with YouTube timestamp links):
0:00 - Intro
0:19 - 1 - Backspin and Topspin
1:27 - 2 - Corner Pocket Rattle
2:07 - 3 - Curved CB Paths and Burn Marks
3:13 - 4 - Rail Cut Shot CB Control
4:33 - 5 - CB Deflection
5:32 - 6 - Tip Compression
5:50 - 7 - Cue Vibration
6:03 - 8 - Cushion Compression
6:59 - 9 - Jump Shots
8:52 - 10 - Break Shot Technique
9:28 - Wrap Up
9:42 ---- clip montage

As always, I look forward to your feedback, comments, questions, complaints, and requests.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new video that explores the amazing world of billiards physics in super slow motion. I pulled from many past and recent resources, both from my video collection and elsewhere. Check it out:

It includes narrated slomo clips in each of these categories (with YouTube timestamp links):
0:00 - Intro
0:19 - 1 - Backspin and Topspin
1:27 - 2 - Corner Pocket Rattle
2:07 - 3 - Curved CB Paths and Burn Marks
3:13 - 4 - Rail Cut Shot CB Control
4:33 - 5 - CB Deflection
5:32 - 6 - Tip Compression
5:50 - 7 - Cue Vibration
6:03 - 8 - Cushion Compression
6:59 - 9 - Jump Shots
8:52 - 10 - Break Shot Technique
9:28 - Wrap Up
9:42 ---- clip montage

As always, I look forward to your feedback, comments, questions, complaints, and requests.

Enjoy!

What do you guys think of this video?

When I was creating it, I thought people might like it, but I wasn't sure because what a "pool-playing engineer" likes isn't always what the "typical pool player" likes.

Is the video too "technical," or do you think it will have "wide appeal?"

Enjoy,
Dave

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What do you guys think of this video?

When I was creating it, I thought people might like it, but I wasn't sure because what a "pool-playing engineer" likes isn't always what the "typical pool player" likes.

Is the video too "technical," or do you think it will have "wide appeal?"

Enjoy,
Dave
This was a treat to watch.

We all have our own ideas on how things work, but seeing them in slow motion shows the truth. Like a microscope it allows you to zoom in for us in time and show how things work at a level unobservable to our eyes. It is absolutely fascinating to see how our conceptual models compare with what actually happen.

Some were entertaining. I really love watching the follow shot where the cue ball spins in place and gradually the spin turns into speed and results in a rolling cue ball. And the skid shot really showing why the cue ball jumps and how that takes energy and doesn't allow the spin to catch.

And some are instructive to me. I knew about rail compression, but by watching that part of the video it may give me more confidence when facing these types of shots. Seeing the ball sink into the cushion like it was a liquid was very compelling!

I am also excited to learn that sidespin shoves the cue stick off line. I have noticed that but thought it was a stroke imperfection, that when I use right spin I was 'swiping' my cue from left to right in as a subconscious and undesirable way of trying to put on more spin. Now I know my stroke is probably straight and it is just a natural reaction, so I don't have to worry about that.

As for other things to shoot in slow mo, well, everything looks cool. But the thing I would be most interested in would be eye patterns. It can be hard to tell watching videos where the pros are focused at what parts of their swing, and on different shots (break shot, jump shot, elevated shot, regular shot, etc). Even in this video watching SVB break I struggled to see where his eyes were glued. If there was a few shots where it was more visible and you split screened it so you had the entire shot on the right and the eyes enlarged on the left and played it in slow mo that would be really interesting. But that's just me. I'm maybe not a good guy to ask on this stuff. That would never be as popular as an infrared masse!

Thank you Dave!

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
Great video Dr. Dave.
Twilight Zone had it right all along. “Pool is geometry, in its most challenging form, the science of precise angles, and forces" i.e. Physics
plus some Thermal Dynamics thrown in for good measure.

I'm gonna wear my lab coat tonight when I play since we are all actually a bunch of scientists.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
This was a treat to watch.

I'm glad to hear it.

We all have our own ideas on how things work, but seeing them in slow motion shows the truth. Like a microscope it allows you to zoom in for us in time and show how things work at a level unobservable to our eyes. It is absolutely fascinating to see how our conceptual models compare with what actually happen.

Agreed. Slow Motion Video is The Teacher. When I was working on my book in the early 2000s, all the high-speed video clips were invaluable in creating understanding that was lacking for me at the time.

Some were entertaining. I really love watching the follow shot where the cue ball spins in place and gradually the spin turns into speed and results in a rolling cue ball. And the skid shot really showing why the cue ball jumps and how that takes energy and doesn't allow the spin to catch.

FYI, I have many more shot examples showing the effects of cling/skid/kick here:

cling/skid/kick resource page

And some are instructive to me. I knew about rail compression, but by watching that part of the video it may give me more confidence when facing these types of shots. Seeing the ball sink into the cushion like it was a liquid was very compelling!

FYI, I show many more examples of how cushion compression can be used to your benefit can be found in the videos here:

cushion compression resource page

I am also excited to learn that sidespin shoves the cue stick off line. I have noticed that but thought it was a stroke imperfection, that when I use right spin I was 'swiping' my cue from left to right in as a subconscious and undesirable way of trying to put on more spin. Now I know my stroke is probably straight and it is just a natural reaction, so I don't have to worry about that.

I have noticed that my cue sometimes finishes left on my follow-through with firm sidespin shots (left or right). I also thought this might have been a stroke flaw until I saw the cause one day when looking at some slow-motion video of a shot. With any sidespin shot, the shaft flexes and vibrates sideways (in both direction), and with an open bridge with a prominent and firm thumb like mine, the shaft can bounce off the thumb and leave the bridge away from the thumb (left for me). Now that I know, it doesn't bother me one bit. I just trust the stroke and don't care what the shaft does after the hit, especially when the CB goes exactly where I want with the spin I want.

As for other things to shoot in slow mo, well, everything looks cool. But the thing I would be most interested in would be eye patterns. It can be hard to tell watching videos where the pros are focused at what parts of their swing, and on different shots (break shot, jump shot, elevated shot, regular shot, etc). Even in this video watching SVB break I struggled to see where his eyes were glued. If there was a few shots where it was more visible and you split screened it so you had the entire shot on the right and the eyes enlarged on the left and played it in slow mo that would be really interesting. But that's just me. I'm maybe not a good guy to ask on this stuff. That would never be as popular as an infrared masse!

The key to seeing eye patterns is getting a close up view back along the line of the shot. You don't need a fancy camera for this, just a good view. The video views and shots I use in my BU Summer School Boot Camps let me capture everything I need to see with a normal video camera, including eye pattern.

Thank you Dave!

You're welcome!

I always appreciate it when you put in the time to watch, think about, and comment on my videos.

Thanks Demetrius!

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great video Dr. Dave.

Thanks.

Twilight Zone had it right all along. “Pool is geometry, in its most challenging form, the science of precise angles, and forces" i.e. Physics
plus some Thermal Dynamics thrown in for good measure.

I'm gonna wear my lab coat tonight when I play since we are all actually a bunch of scientists.

I am a "pool scientist" until I get down on a shot ... then I try to be a "dumb robot."

thebark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your super close jump shot is a foul. If you play the slomo at half speed you can see that after the initial contact the whole shaft continues forward hitting the cueball again. I think that any jump that close is always going to be a foul. Super video. Thanks

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Your super close jump shot is a foul.

I don't think this is obvious, even in super slow motion. For more info, see:

HSV B.19 - highly elevated cue jump shots

If you play the slomo at half speed you can see that after the initial contact the whole shaft continues forward hitting the cueball again.

I agree it is obvious the shaft flexes back toward the CB, but I don't think it is obvious that it hits the CB again.

I think that any jump that close is always going to be a foul. Super video. Thanks

I agree that most highly-elevated jump shots with a gap this small (or even smaller) almost always involve secondary contact with the shaft, but it would be difficult to call a foul unless super-slow-motion instant replay was available. And even then, as the example in this video shows, the slo-mo replay isn't always conclusive.

Regards,
Dave

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Solid effort here, Dave. Thanks. Particularly liked the section dealing with "parabolic path" on non-masse shots.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dr. Dave,

I am certain most readers have heard the expression, “A picture is worth a thousand words.”

Well, the video you just shared with all of us has to be worth a few million then. When you see
in action what you have been reading about, studying or even doing, and the video is in high
speed and macro like and accompanied by astute commentary, it makes comprehension so
much more easy. No matter how hard one tries, the human eye has limitations that a camera
doesn’t. As always, you have provided more very helpful information gratis to the Forum members
and the at large pool playing community. Thanks for you inquisitiveness and excellent tutorials.

Matt B.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
great video, its very focused on the table actions.

impressive imaging of pool actions

I will try to make a competing video focusing on the differences of a players physical measurements and how it changes their stance.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
The thermal video was incredible, not just on the burn spot but along the path as the ball continues to spin. What was the temperature scale of the image? What variable has the greatest impact on the magnitude of the burn: rotational acceleration, forward acceleration, downward force?

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Solid effort here, Dave. Thanks.

Thank you, and you're welcome.

Particularly liked the section dealing with "parabolic path" on non-masse shots.

Every curved-ball path on a pool table (assuming the ball isn't hopping) is a parabola. The math and physics proof (one of my favorites) can be viewed here:

TP A.4 – Post-impact cue ball trajectory for any cut angle, speed, and spin

It's actually not that difficult to follow along and understand if you just read the text and skip the equations.

Enjoy! o_O