American 14.1 Straight Pool Championship (Oct 24-29), Norfolk, Winner $10K

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do the already qualified players have any incentive to win their final matches? More money? Better seeding?

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do the already qualified players have any incentive to win their final matches? More money? Better seeding?
24 players who qualify get minimum $700 prizemoney
Group leaders get bye and are seeded straight into last 16
2nd and 3rd in each group total 16 players play for spot in last 16

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
that was, as far as table abuse is concerned, a very mild "slam of the cue".. weird situation, as it hurt darren the most in the end
Wow, Worst call I’ve ever seen. Darren was the one who clearly slammed his cue on the table after he realized the balls were going to be re-racked but Corey was the one called for the unsportsmanlike foul for his cue tip barely touching the table surface (and it’s not even clear if it did) after his scratch.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Wow, Worst call I’ve ever seen. Darren was the one who clearly slammed his cue on the table after he realized the balls were going to be re-racked but Corey was the one called for the unsportsmanlike foul for his cue tip barely touching the table surface (and it’s not even clear if it did) after his scratch.
I think the ref thought that Corey hit a ball when he waived his cue after he scratched, although clearly he did not.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems like the ref should have reviewed the video before making a final determination.
Yeah, a tournament of this magnitude with this level of players loses a lot of its legitimacy with me when you see a premature erroneous call like this, which certainly could have affected the outcome of this match.

Regardless, Darren still would likely have won if he’d executed a near ideal break shot on his last shot, so really there’s no need for him to dwell on how this referee’s bogus call cost him this match.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There were few matches more than 3 hrs and top 2 longest matches involved Tom Czaplicki. Average number of seconds per ball for top 2 longest matches is 80 seconds. Tony Drago ran out a nine ball rack (8 balls in 52 seconds) against Earl while these boys here took at least 52 seconds just for 1 ball.
View attachment 667727

Mario He v Alcaide is listed as 15 hrs long so must be error unless they fell asleep while playing :LOL: ...
It looks to me like many of the Digital Pool match lengths ("Duration") are off by quite a bit. That He/Alcaide match 15 hours spartan noticed seems to have resulted by putting AM instead of PM on the finishing time in the system, thereby adding 12 hours to the length. So that was probably just a keying mistake. But many of the other times are off, some by a lot. I don't know how they are determining the starting time and ending time for each match, but I think the "Duration" stat from them is not reliable as a measure of the actual length of the match.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yeah, a tournament of this magnitude with this level of players loses a lot of its legitimacy with me when you see a premature erroneous call like this, which certainly could have affected the outcome of this match.

Regardless, Darren still would likely have won if he’d executed a near ideal break shot on his last shot, so really there’s no need for him to dwell on how this referee’s bogus call cost him this match.
Well, it is unknowable what would have happened if Appleton had been given BIH after Deuel's scratch. Nothing would have been the same, including his mental state.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I don't know how they are determining the starting time and ending time for each match, but I think the "Duration" stat from them is not reliable as a measure of the actual length of the match.
It would be possible to set the end time by when 125 is reached.

There are still lots of features for the programmers at DigitalPool to fix. I'd like some indication of high runs and innings. This system is not better than the old round-robin charts. Speaking of such, DigitalPool seems not to have the bracket summaries or am I looking in the wrong place?

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a YouTube video with the Deuel/Appleton match. The debated point is at about 51:55. Anyone see anything meriting Karl's call?
It looks like the ref does not know the rules. Also when the match starts Darren swings his stick like a baseball bat (who is the ref trying to punish)?

Strange indeed

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also early at the start of the match Darren swings his cue like a bat after a miss

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
It looks like the ref does not know the rules. Also when the match starts Darren swings his stick like a baseball bat (who is the ref trying to punish)?

Strange indeed
Did you continue to watch the clip till after the re-break..? It wasn't an unsportman's like call. It was a foul called on Deuel because he manipulated balls with his cue during/after his shot prior to the re-rack.

Although I don't know the finer rules of 14.1, it seems rather clean to me

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did you continue to watch the clip till after the re-break..? It wasn't an unsportman's like call. It was a foul called on Deuel because he manipulated balls with his cue during/after his shot prior to the re-rack.

Although I don't know the finer rules of 14.1, it seems rather clean to me
Not to me. The BCA rules are mentioning a deliberate foul. Whatever happened appeared to be a normal foul.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Indeed. The Velvet Foghorn.

Perhaps the greatest nickname in pool.

Many years ago I got a chance to play Johnny at a tournament at the Las Vegas Cue Club.

(This was right after I had read notice of his 300 ball run). He had a nice soft con going on, telling anyone who would listen, in that foghorn rasp of a voice he had, "Oh yeah. I can't beat nobody anymore. Everybody spots me. Let's play."

We played some $20 1Pocket for a while until he got called for a match. He told me about some guy he had beaten the night before. I asked him if the guy could play and he said, "Oh no. He couldn't play at all." I went away thinking he probably thought the same of my game. Johnny was one hell of a player.

Lou Figueroa

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I must have missed that. It looked to me like there was no foul by Deuel other than the scratch....

I just watched the shot on which Corey scratched repeatedly a frame at a time. The stroke itself was not a foul. When he slapped the table with his stick, his stick did not hit the 7 ball. His stick did not hit the 1 ball. He did not touch the 2 ball which came up the table.

What foul do you see?