An easy snooker 147

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
If you count "staying still" as a fundamental, Selby definitely doesn't win any prizes. He always moves before the shot, left to right to left... I don't understand how he's so consistent... He has being doing that since he started playing, you can see it in every single video of him, no matter the year.

Mark Selby is an amazing man.....hasn’t had it easy.

His mother left when he was eight...his father died of leukemia when he was sixteen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPYsMM1FvXs

In the 2011/12 season, he developed a disc bulge in his neck...which caused his head problem.
....not 100% over it...so he manages to be number one with a problem.

Mark has my respect

Reactions: JAM

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The Finals start about 7½ hours from now -- Ronnie O'Sullivan vs. Kyren Wilson, race to 10 (best of 19).

AlienObserver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mark Selby is an amazing man.....hasn’t had it easy.

His mother left when he was eight...his father died of leukemia when he was sixteen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPYsMM1FvXs

In the 2011/12 season, he developed a disc bulge in his neck...which caused his head problem.
....not 100% over it...so he manages to be number one with a problem.

Mark has my respect

I am aware of all these. But his movement on the shot wasn't caused by his neck problems in 2011. He moved since day one, as I said you can notice it in any of his matches no matter the year.

https://youtu.be/32SNrMKB2ls?t=6785 (1:53:05)
watch his movement as he plays the pink for example, in 2009. He moves all over the place in every shot, I just picked one randomly.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I am aware of all these. But his movement on the shot wasn't caused by his neck problems in 2011. He moved since day one, as I said you can notice it in any of his matches no matter the year.

https://youtu.be/32SNrMKB2ls?t=6785 (1:53:05)
watch his movement as he plays the pink for example, in 2009. He moves all over the place in every shot, I just picked one randomly.

Thanx for that....I watched a couple games...saving the rest for later.

His head does move a lot....only two years before it actually interfered with his career.
....wondering if his style caused the problem....or if the problem caused his style..
...the old ‘chicken and egg’ question.

I’ve known some good long shot makers who had defective eyesight....
...one of them said that KNOWING where the ball is leaves no excuses.
.....I think that’s what Mr Selby has going for him....:bow-down:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My favorite stance for snooker...although I only used it about 40%...

View attachment 504754

Joe Davis....I still see nothing wrong with it....the boxer stance.

But I prefer Walter Lindrum’s approach the best...he adapted to every shot.

View attachment 504755

View attachment 504756

Ronnie the Rocket gets my vote of the modern players...Walter would’ve loved him.
JD is much closer to how i,and most pool players, stand. I can't get that low but in general he's more side-ways than the current face-on players.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
RO makes 16 then misses a thin cut on a red. Wilson produces his first century of the Final (104) to tie the match at 8 after trailing 5-1. Race to 2!

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
KW pots a long red off RO's break shot, runs 65 but gets a bit off line and passes up a difficult pot in favor of putting the black in a difficult place. RO frees it up and has a chance to snatch victory but misses and concedes the frame. Wilson has now won 4 frames in a row, 8 of the last 11, and is on the hill (if snooker has one).

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
RO pots one red and misses, Wilson goes for 61 and hangs a red. RO gets to 37 but fails to get the last red into a good spot, shoots some seemingly wild shot and gets safe. Wilson leaves a shot and RO clears.

9-9 !!!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
RO pots one red and misses, Wilson goes for 61 and hangs a red. RO gets to 37 but fails to get the last red into a good spot, shoots some seemingly wild shot and gets safe. Wilson leaves a shot and RO clears.

9-9 !!!
That was a totally crazy shot on the last red Ronnie tried. A thin cross-side that he hit way too full, the red ran back and forth and the white went ten cushions and ended up snookered behind pink. Ronnie did make a nice clearance to tie.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Despite missing a couple reds and committing a waistcoat foul, RO has won the last frame and the match.

O'Sullivan has been in the finals of this event 5 times out of 6, winning the first two and this one (after losing in the finals the last 2 years).

Congrats Ronnie!

edit -- 110 and out for RO.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The agony and the ecstasy.....great match for the spectators....
...the players got ulcers...:eek:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
https://youtu.be/73D4SJeF2eA?t=19211

Here is the end of the match. Scroll to 6:05:09 if the time option does not work on your mobile apparatus. That's towards the end of the 17th frame where some interesting strategic things happen.

The commentators are Clive Everton who is the most prolific writer on snooker and a long-time commentator, and Stephen Hendry who for a decade or so beat everyone at snooker as if they were red-headed mules. He's retired now but plays seniors matches and Chinese 8-ball.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everytime I hear Clive speak I am reminded of Anthony Hopkins. Clive a fine commentator and Hopkins the great actor.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Everytime I hear Clive speak I am reminded of Anthony Hopkins. Clive a fine commentator and Hopkins the great actor.

Clive is even a better writer...and not afraid to express his opinions...
...he rooted out some corruption in the WPBSA years ago.

He’s got a decent sense of humor also.....
...and he retains all this in his early 80s.