An easy snooker 147

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A regulation 6x12 tends to be two inches higher than the maximum 31 in of a pool table.
...this can all vary in actual pool hall conditions because of uneven floors.

I used to gamble on a 6x12 that was four inches higher at one end.
...I had a decent edge on most snooker players on this table....’cause they were married
to their stance.
Its still high enough to make that square-on stance not so brutal. Using it on a pool table, at least for me, would keep a chiropractor in action.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for making this available
I never played snooker,but it is very nice to watch it

I am impressed by the class,notice how happy and sincerely the loser congratulates the winner

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Its still high enough to make that square-on stance not so brutal. Using it on a pool table, at least for me, would keep a chiropractor in action.

My favorite stance for snooker...although I only used it about 40%...

FCB28A5D-DDC1-4D6C-BCA8-1E8D220FA797.jpeg

Joe Davis....I still see nothing wrong with it....the boxer stance.

But I prefer Walter Lindrum’s approach the best...he adapted to every shot.

D8EC2364-314F-442F-85A9-E7C007D9BEA8.jpeg

DE06F6AC-4ECF-4C71-8862-B75BC66C3952.jpeg

Ronnie the Rocket gets my vote of the modern players...Walter would’ve loved him.

trophycue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Terry's billiards

A regulation 6x12 tends to be two inches higher than the maximum 31 in of a pool table.
...this can all vary in actual pool hall conditions because of uneven floors.

I used to gamble on a 6x12 that was four inches higher at one end.
...I had a decent edge on most snooker players on this table....’cause they were married
to their stance.

Big dip in the floor at the black ball end of table #1 at Terry's in Scarborough . Some very strong players would not play on that table . Without their perfect setup, they lost all confidence . The good ole days............... word spread like wildfire when PT109 was making an appearance in beautiful downtown Scarborough . News generally delivered by the local genius..............THE DIGGER !!!

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
I think that red was not nearly as problematic as this one in Ronnie's 13th 147:

View attachment 504700

Here is the video the above still is from which has all of his 147s. The start time (for non-smartyphone users) is set to the image above:
https://youtu.be/OKjnw8kgyzI?t=6078

He drew the cueball 6 feet down the table to perfect position left handed on that last red ... the man is the most amazing player ever IMO.

Regarding Selbys fundamentals he often moves his head a lot while down on the shot, has been for years.

Dave

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Regarding Selbys fundamentals he often moves his head a lot while down on the shot, has been for years....
It looks to me like his whole upper body trembles back and forth a little. I wonder if any of it is on purpose.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ouch. Ronnie had Frame 5 in hand a couple of times but played an awful safety the first time, missed an easy red the second time, and lost the frame. RO now leads 3-2.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
But Murphy makes a mistake in Frame 6 and O'Sullivan runs 129 to take a 4-2 lead.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
After an early miss (a power draw shot on a red) by Murphy, O'Sullivan ran another century (127 this time) to go up 5-2.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
RO misses a long opening shot on a red, and SM goes for a century break of his own (102). Now 5-3.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
RO made a poor break-off shot, but SM missed a cut on a red to the middle. RO ran 59 then miscued and scratched on a simple black! But SM managed only 7, and RO completed the frame and match. 6-3.

So O'Sullivan is into the Finals Sunday. 2nd Semifinal is tomorrow, Mark Allen vs. Kyren Wilson.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
R ... But SM managed only 7, ...
... which was from Ronnie's in-off on black. Getting ball in hand in the D is not always an advantage especially if there is no red in that half of the table.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... which was from Ronnie's in-off on black. Getting ball in hand in the D is not always an advantage especially if there is no red in that half of the table.

Right, Bob. I could have been more descriptive (and accurate) -- something like "But SM missed a long red from the Half Circle, thereby scoring only the 7 points from the foul, and RO ..."

Last edited:

AlienObserver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Note Selby's fundamentals.

If you count "staying still" as a fundamental, Selby definitely doesn't win any prizes. He always moves before the shot, left to right to left... I don't understand how he's so consistent... He has being doing that since he started playing, you can see it in every single video of him, no matter the year.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RO made a poor break-off shot, but SM missed a cut on a red to the middle. RO ran 59 then miscued and scratched on a simple black! But SM managed only 7, and RO completed the frame and match. 6-3.

So O'Sullivan is into the Finals Sunday. 2nd Semifinal is tomorrow, Mark Allen vs. Kyren Wilson.

It's pretty remarkable how much Kyren has improved over the years.

He's gone from 66th to 9th in about 3 years.

A pretty good video with Kyren and his [well known] coach, Barry Stark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2NwdewAMlg

Another with Ronnie talking to Barry about Kryen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7NifUzu9sA&feature=youtu.be

And FWIW

Kyren is 8-5 vs Mark Allen

Ronnie has a winning record vs both players. 2-1 vs Kyren and 4-3 vs Mark