An Old Road Story! "1979" Longview,Texas

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
punter said:
Did you know a guy named Phillip Hyde from Port Arthur Tx? He played pretty good about that time and used to talk about playing in Longview.

I knew Murrel too. I loaned him $10 after he went bust to a guy named Lafitte at the old Circle Club near Vinton, Louisiana. He was able to come back and bust the guy using my $10. And he gave me my $10 back and a pill... what a nice guy!! His ex married a friend that was running the pool hall in Shreveport/Bossier City where Eddie Taylor had his HOF celebration.

Punter, no I never knew Phillip Hyde,

I know Murrels ex, she and her husband are nice people!

David Harcrow

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
catpool9 said:
Punter, no I never knew Phillip Hyde,...

I don't really know if this is true or not but several years ago I heard Jim Murrel tried to rob this guy outside a pool room in Dallas,Tx and the guy shot him dead!

I know Murrels ex, she and her husband are nice people!

David Harcrow

Did you know Bob Lambert? He was out of Dallas and backed a lot of players. He was Ronnie Allen's partner when they put on the big tournament in Bend, Oregon in 1976.

He went home afterwards and got killed walking into a 7 Eleven. Seems some guy just robbed the place and he bumped into Bob on the way out the door. Bob reacted and the guy just shot him right in the doorway.

I played "horse" with Bob up in Bend for $10 a letter. We had some fun that day. You know "horse" on a basketball court, not a pool table.

ccshrimper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your brother was definitely a beast back then David. Charlie is one of the best characters you will ever meet in pool though. When Parica first came over and was busting all the champions I saw Charlie beat him at the Ruston Peach Festival tournament and it was hilarious. Parica didn't know what to think of Charlie.

s'portplayer

Midnight Rambler
Silver Member
The Eddie Taylor celebration was held at Side Pockets up off North Market and was owned by Brett Sempter back then, who now has a place called Baby Huey's.

punter said:
Did you know a guy named Phillip Hyde from Port Arthur Tx? He played pretty good about that time and used to talk about playing in Longview.

I knew Murrel too. I loaned him $10 after he went bust to a guy named Lafitte at the old Circle Club near Vinton, Louisiana. He was able to come back and bust the guy using my $10. And he gave me my $10 back and a pill... what a nice guy!! His ex married a friend that was running the pool hall in Shreveport/Bossier City where Eddie Taylor had his HOF celebration.

punter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
s'portplayer said:
The Eddie Taylor celebration was held at Side Pockets up off North Market and was owned by Brett Sempter back then, who now has a place called Baby Huey's.

Thanks for the info. Brett is an old friend. I know he used to advertise his tournaments on here and I wondered if he was still in the pool hall business. I knew Brett when he lived in Beaumont, TX, over 25 years ago. Brett is a good guy, we made a little $$ together back then.

s'portplayer

Midnight Rambler
Silver Member
My pleasure Punter.

Huey's is a great place to go have a great time, stop by next time you're in the area.

punter said:
Thanks for the info. Brett is an old friend. I know he used to advertise his tournaments on here and I wondered if he was still in the pool hall business. I knew Brett when he lived in Beaumont, TX, over 25 years ago. Brett is a good guy, we made a little $$ together back then.

ACE

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been in Longview since the 70's

I live in Longview, Texas and I remember the "Tally Ho". Some Players not mentioned were Haskell Hall (86 y/o), Charlie Brown, and some of the younger players at the time was Bobby Witt, Kevin Durham, Surgio, One Eyed Mike Kincaid, Big Mike Boswell, Joey Barnes, Van Whiterman. I remember the fellow the owned the Tally Ho had gotten himself in a bit of trouble and was forced to go on vacation a few years. In the mid 1980's, when his vacation was over, he started another pool hall just a couple of miles down hgy 80 from the old Tally Ho. It closed too after a short while due to him going back on vacation.

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
catpool9 said:
Thanks Jay, yes back in that "Era" all a pool player had to do was just find a pool table, seemed like everyone gambled some, and the best thing about it was, "no cell or video phones, no Internet, and I don't think there were pagers at the time either", made it kinda hard to get Knocked!

David Harcrow

There used to be a well known backer 30 or more years ago in huntington,west virginia.His daughter lives in longview,TX.I am a old man and don`t remember neither her name nor her dad`s name.I met this lady in shreveport during the hall of fame induction ceremony for late 'knoxville Bear'.
By any chance do u know her? How is that lady doing?If u personally know her can u please tell her vagabond said hello?.thanks

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
Bob lambert was a great guy and will always be missed by his friends. that bend oregon tournament was a real duzzy with all kinds of good action. that was when everyone bet on anything if they had money.

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
catpool9 said:
Yes Lewis the nightclub was the Retreat!, but I didn't play Donald Ray.
That Retreat useto ROLL didn't it!, "Little Las Vegas" for sure!, no telling how many times I've been in there after hours shooting pool and a big crowd of about 25 or 30 people shooting dice on the 9ft. pool table...

to bad Donald Ray got killed on that tractor doing some bushhogging back in the mid 80's, I really did like ole Don!

David Harcrow

I guess that is how long I have been gone, but I didn't even know Don was gone. Too bad, as he was an OK guy. I never had a problem with him.

Over Christmas, I was in Arkansas for about 9 days, but never wnet near a pool table or bar. I did though talk to Barry. He is living in El Dorado now and seems okay.

I was at that craps game as was Don back in the 70's when they busted through and robbed it. That was Grady Carrolls game. I was scared. One of the guys with a shotgun, I thought I recognized and felt he knew I did as he kept staring at me. I thought I was a goner.

The good old days were fun!!!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
ironman said:
I guess that is how long I have been gone, but I didn't even know Don was gone. Too bad, as he was an OK guy. I never had a problem with him.

Over Christmas, I was in Arkansas for about 9 days, but never wnet near a pool table or bar. I did though talk to Barry. He is living in El Dorado now and seems okay.

I was at that craps game as was Don back in the 70's when they busted through and robbed it. That was Grady Carrolls game. I was scared. One of the guys with a shotgun, I thought I recognized and felt he knew I did as he kept staring at me. I thought I was a goner.

Yeah, they were fun but we were lucky to survive them! I have a couple of similar harrowing tales in my book Pool Wars, where I almost got dusted. :eek:

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ironman said:

F U N ?????:confused:

td

androd

androd
Silver Member
SJDinPHX said:
Great story David. Sure brings back some mem's. Longview was always a good town for me. Did you know Tommy Moorman ? His joint was always a regular stop for most guys, between Dallas and Shreveport.

Dick

(my time was a little earlier, like mid to late 60's)
Dick; I remember Tommy Moorman well, he loved to play pool and gin rummy. He was from Ft. Worth and had been a star athlete at TCU. He had an older brother that had been either all conference or all american there before him. I often wondered what became of him. I played Calvin in North Little Rock(the cafe by the bridge) when he was about 13 or 14 yrs. old. They called him barefoot Calvin then. He won $300.00 or so and my partner took the cue and got us even, I couldn't stand it. I played again, he beat me again, my partner got us even again. Calvins stakehorse was a man named Bojack, he said enough of this I've got some spots to take you, and we made cash everywhere he took us.

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
Did you know Bob Lambert? He was out of Dallas and backed a lot of players. He was Ronnie Allen's partner when they put on the big tournament in Bend, Oregon in 1976.

He went home afterwards and got killed walking into a 7 Eleven. Seems some guy just robbed the place and he bumped into Bob on the way out the door. Bob reacted and the guy just shot him right in the doorway.

I played "horse" with Bob up in Bend for $10 a letter. We had some fun that day. You know "horse" on a basketball court, not a pool table.

No Jay I didn't know Bob Lambert, but I bet ya Cavlin does.

David Harcrow

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
ccshrimper said:
Your brother was definitely a beast back then David. Charlie is one of the best characters you will ever meet in pool though. When Parica first came over and was busting all the champions I saw Charlie beat him at the Ruston Peach Festival tournament and it was hilarious. Parica didn't know what to think of Charlie.

You know I usedto hear of that " Ruston Peach Festival Tournament" do they still have it?...

useto be a guy over in Spring Hill, La.,.named Robert Provine, he could shoot some pool too!

David Harcrow

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
ACE said:
I live in Longview, Texas and I remember the "Tally Ho". Some Players not mentioned were Haskell Hall (86 y/o), Charlie Brown, and some of the younger players at the time was Bobby Witt, Kevin Durham, Surgio, One Eyed Mike Kincaid, Big Mike Boswell, Joey Barnes, Van Whiterman. I remember the fellow the owned the Tally Ho had gotten himself in a bit of trouble and was forced to go on vacation a few years. In the mid 1980's, when his vacation was over, he started another pool hall just a couple of miles down hgy 80 from the old Tally Ho. It closed too after a short while due to him going back on vacation.

Ace (Walter)..... yeah there's alot of people I didn't mention, ..Mr. and Mrs. Bonner, they always came to the "Last Stop " pool room after hours and had a cup of coffee,..good people!...owned a bar out along the river....

then their was Randy Dorsey, that tall lankey dude could shoot some pool and always had a good story to tell...

I remember "Ole Tom Green" he was a player!, but knowone liked him at all, his attitude and personality suck!...

then Mike Watson,... he and I played many times, and some real talkative guy named "Eddie Cumberland" he was a charactor!,..... and Seargio "the mexican",.

Van Whiterman, the first time I ever played him I had him down $480 at $20 agame playing 6-Ball, out at the VFW in Longview, and he came back and got even.

That Kevin Durhman played in a band, but was prolly the best pool player ever outta Longview!

Mike Kincaid, he only had one eye, but when we played roll out (9-ball, I would say go ahead, and he would come back.. ( you calling me a "GORED HEAD" then would smile and say go ahead and shoot!)

I remember Mike Boswell, and Gene Greathouse we were good friends!

lotsa good times!:smile: :smile:

David Harcrow

Last edited:

ccshrimper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
catpool9 said:
You know I usedto hear of that " Ruston Peach Festival Tournament" do they still have it?...

useto be a guy over in Spring Hill, La.,.named Robert Provine, he could shoot some pool too!

David Harcrow

Back then, it was in the back of a movie rental place but I later played in it somewhere else. It was amazing to see all of these champions in a movie rental business playing pool. I don't think they have it anymore but it's been 15+ years since I played anywhere in Louisiana. I'm not sure if I know Robert Provine, maybe if I saw him.

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
Bojack

androd said:
Dick; I remember Tommy Moorman well, he loved to play pool and gin rummy. He was from Ft. Worth and had been a star athlete at TCU. He had an older brother that had been either all conference or all american there before him. I often wondered what became of him. I played Calvin in North Little Rock(the cafe by the bridge) when he was about 13 or 14 yrs. old. They called him barefoot Calvin then. He won $300.00 or so and my partner took the cue and got us even, I couldn't stand it. I played again, he beat me again, my partner got us even again. Calvins stakehorse was a man named Bojack, he said enough of this I've got some spots to take you, and we made cash everywhere he took us.

BOJACK: now that was a name and a man to be FEARED!....a real Mob Guy! self empolyed!:eek:

Yeah some how Calvin got under his wing at an early age and got away from him somehow!..I'm glad he was dead and gone before I ever got into pool, the stories Calvin has told me about that man were none to nice!

David Harcrow

androd

androd
Silver Member
catpool9 said:
BOJACK: now that was a name and a man to be FEARED!....a real Mob Guy! self empolyed!:eek:

Yeah some how Calvin got under his wing at an early age and got away from him somehow!..I'm glad he was dead and gone before I ever got into pool, the stories Calvin has told me about that man were none to nice!

David Harcrow
Yeah he was a little rough around the edges, but paid his debts. Everywhere he took us, when the game was over he took his end and paid people there he owed. I was impressed. Get calvin to tell you about him fighting Curly down behind the cafe by the bridge. The only rule was no kicking. They fought for all Curleys money, Calvin helped him count it. I had just beaten Curley and he was woofing at me, Bojack said Curley if you want to fight, I'll fight you for all you got.

Last edited: