Announcing a new wrap seam cutting tool

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
Amazing...just amazing.

Bob

Not really. If you want to post this in the Wanted/for Sale section of this forum, then the Mod has rules to help protect you from the knocks...

Your tool at least appears very simple AND requires an additional purchase from another supplier in order to work...Buyers like convenience.

Thomas Wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Amazing...just amazing.

Bob

You know what's amazing to me, Bob? It's that you're trying to sell a small piece of aluminum stock with a couple of support wings attached for $70 AND you think the rest of us should keep our mouths shut if we aren't impressed.

If you feel like that's a "knock" then so be it; I personally see it as looking out for some poor suckers who might actually think you're offering them something new, or something they can't slap together themselves for a fraction of your asking price. There are a number clever and/or skilled machinists on this forum who make devices for cuemakers that work well and are worth the asking price, but this is not one of them.

TW

leon sly

old school maniac!!
Silver Member
this is what i'm using it cost me 5 bucks.. a piece of Aluminum angle i cut the seam edges individually..i also use 16 of these as a glue up veneer jig.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I used the modified angle iron for years to seam my leather. But I was cutting through both pieces at once. Then I went to a seaming guide on the lathe. Then I got the DeAngelo and could cut both seams separately. Then I modified the seaming guide on the lathe so it was easier to do the seams separately and then I sold the DeAngelo. But I did get ahold of Angelo and get him to make me a bunch of his templates to cut the ends of the leather.
My point is everyone of the methods worked. And I am guessing this new jig will too. It is all cost related. The DeAngelo jigs were $400 and this one is $70. Big difference in cost. It will probably take a little more skill to use this one, but it should still do the job. I see no reason to degrade it. If someone feels something is overpriced then pass it up, but there is no need to try and say it is not worth the price.

Last edited:

shankster8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hard to imagine this device could stir up so much ire. The instructions might be worth $70 to some people.

danieldakota53

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used the modified angle iron for years to seam my leather. But I was cutting through both pieces at once. Then I went to a seaming guide on the lathe. Then I got the DeAngelo and could cut both seams separately. Then I modified the seaming guide on the lathe so it was easier to do the seams separately and then I sold the DeAngelo. But I did get ahold of Angelo and get him to make me a bunch of his templates to cut the ends of the leather.
My point is everyone of the methods worked. And I am guessing this new jig will too. It is all cost related. The DeAngelo jigs were $400 and this one is $70. Big difference in cost. It will probably take a little more skill to use this one, but it should still do the job. I see no reason to degrade it. If someone feels something is overpriced then pass it up, but there is no need to try and say it is not worth the price.

Well said Chris, well said. +1

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went and brought the info that goes with the unit and instructions on making it .
I have not made up any of the parts yet, but did read and looked over all the info sent to me.
The instruction set, is worth the money for people who have not done wraps before and he offers his experience in applying wraps.
It is a well written step by step guide with lots of pictures of the various procedures.
Some may need to buy templates for the end profile, but they are easily calculated.
On my cues, since the handle is parallel in the wrap area, I don't need any template.
I am happy with what I paid for and the info received.
Thanks for the info Bob.
Neil Lickfold

StrokeAnalyzer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Neil...

Thanks for the positive review!

I'm curious about your statement "On my cues, since the handle is parallel in the wrap area, I don't need any template."

Are you saying the butt of the cues you make are NOT tapered? If the butt is tapered, then the ends of the wrap channel will be different in diameter and the wrap will require a radius at each end.

Bob

I went and brought the info that goes with the unit and instructions on making it .
I have not made up any of the parts yet, but did read and looked over all the info sent to me.
The instruction set, is worth the money for people who have not done wraps before and he offers his experience in applying wraps.
It is a well written step by step guide with lots of pictures of the various procedures.
Some may need to buy templates for the end profile, but they are easily calculated.
On my cues, since the handle is parallel in the wrap area, I don't need any template.
I am happy with what I paid for and the info received.
Thanks for the info Bob.
Neil Lickfold

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cue wrap guide

I see no reason to knock this gentleman's wrap guide or his offer to provide same to paying customers.

While folks may have similar or different equipment to install leather wraps, the true question is this-Do you want to purchase his product at the suggested price?

If so, order one, if not, allow him the opportunity to see if other folks desire his product. The market will decide if this is a good product for most wrap installers.

Congratulations on your thoughts about such a device and good luck on sales! rhinobywilhite

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Neil...

Thanks for the positive review!

I'm curious about your statement "On my cues, since the handle is parallel in the wrap area, I don't need any template."

Are you saying the butt of the cues you make are NOT tapered? If the butt is tapered, then the ends of the wrap channel will be different in diameter and the wrap will require a radius at each end.

Bob

Yes, it is straight until just after the wrap area, then it tapers down to the joint diameter.
The handle diameter is usually 29.3mm to 30mm or so , depending on the customer.

Murray Tucker

Just a Padawan
Silver Member
That kind of jig works well but it is nothing new. Bet I've watched Blud and Sammy put on hundreds of wraps with one.

GAtexas1978

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
how are you cutting the seams using this angle plate? QUOTE=leon sly;4459562]this is what i'm using it cost me 5 bucks.. a piece of Aluminum angle i cut the seam edges individually..i also use 16 of these as a glue up veneer jig.
[/QUOTE]

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
how are you cutting the seams using this angle plate? QUOTE=leon sly;4459562]this is what i'm using it cost me 5 bucks.. a piece of Aluminum angle i cut the seam edges individually..i also use 16 of these as a glue up veneer jig.
[/QUOTE]

If you read Chris's book, he explains how to do a wrap this way. I did my first 3 wraps that way and they came out ok, but was more work to get it to look good, IMO. I bought the Unique one and love it.
Dave

cuemaker03

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have created a new method and tool for installing leather wraps on cues.

My desire was to install leather wraps, but I wasn't excited about spending $400 to $500 for a fixture to cut the seam. So I set out to create a new method and design a tool to help install leather wraps.

As most of you know, the biggest challenge is cutting the wrap ends and cutting the final wrap seam edges. The wrap seam cuting tool I designed, allows for a complete installation of the wrap while the cue is on the lathe. You do not have to remove the cue from the lathe to cut the final wrap seam.

The wrap channel end radius's are cut with a template from Superior Cues for $30, then the gluing and wrap seam edges are cut with the wrap seam cutting tool while the cue is on the lathe.

I have had great success using this method with the seam cutting tool I designed. My wrap seams have been virtually invisible.

I'm going to make and sell the wrap seam cutting tool to anyone interested for $70. The price will include the wrap seam cutting tool, 2 clamps and detailed instructions with photographs outlining the steps I take to install a wrap. The instructions will be a 36+ page PDF document on a DVD with over 50 pictures describing the installation steps. These installation instructions are probably the most comprehensive wrap installation ever written. The wrap end radius cutting guide is not included (purchase from Superior Cues or Unique). Price also includes shipping to USA locations.

Some skill and experience is required to install any wrap. This is true with any fixture or tool. There is no substitute for practice. However, this seam cutting tool can go a long way to help install quality cue wraps at a reasonable cost.

Below is a photo of the wrap seam cutting tool attached to a cue. The wrap installation is complete in the photo. I also attached some photos of recent wraps I installed. The seams are shown in the photos.

PM me for details and to purchase.

sales@strokeanalyzer.com
www.strokeanalyzer.com

View attachment 304349
View attachment 304350
View attachment 304355
View attachment 304356
View attachment 304357

That's interesting.

nineballer6977

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wrap Fixture

Some of the members on here crack me up, I have seen this numerous times, A person comes up with a tool or fixture to do a job or repair that saves money on overpriced fixtures and or devises.and shares the idea or design with other people who are looking for something different and reasonably priced. Then people do nothing but pick the persons idea apart and criticize every little thing about the post !!! Why cant people just scroll on by if they find nothing but fault with the Idea ???? Unbelievable

Reactions: BHQ

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some of the members on here crack me up, I have seen this numerous times, A person comes up with a tool or fixture to do a job or repair that saves money on overpriced fixtures and or devises.and shares the idea or design with other people who are looking for something different and reasonably priced. Then people do nothing but pick the persons idea apart and criticize every little thing about the post !!! Why cant people just scroll on by if they find nothing but fault with the Idea ???? Unbelievable

A. He touted it as "new" idea, which it wasn't - tho it well may be new
to him and not a copy of something that has been well known for years.

B. It is not really any improvement over using masking tape and a
straightedge.

C. For what you get - it is much more overpriced than the popular fixture.

Believe it.

Dale

StrokeAnalyzer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"popular fixture"? whats that and whats the price for it? Would that be the $500 one? :p

Like I've said before...consider the tool free...the detailed instructional DVD with pictures are worth the price.

shankster8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought this and agree that the DVD, alone, is worth the price. I didn't have a clue about how to do a wrap. Now I believe I could do a good job on one.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"popular fixture"? whats that and whats the price for it? Would that be the $500 one? :p

Like I've said before...consider the tool free...the detailed instructional DVD with pictures are worth the price.

I don't think so. Why are you continuing to pretend you are unaware of the
fact that detailed instructions are readily available for FREE? Or in
Hightowers book for much less, which not only details how to wrap a cue,
but also, how to build a cue to wrap.

Dale

Last edited: