Another Bizarre Dennis Moment vs Shane

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Players are not allowed to place balls on table during play to measure or whatever their reasoning is.

The only WPA rule that even comes close to saying this action was illegal is the rule stating that using equipment inappropriately is a foul. Apparently this is something that is done in the Philppines so to me it's no big deal that there was an argument over a rule as unspecific as this.. a rule that ultimately comes down to a judgement call that went in Shane's favor that Dennis did not understand. It's certainly not the worst thing that has happened and certainly not worthy of criticizing Dennis for imo.

Since you are interpreting the rules let me ask you. Would touching the one ball to create gaps in a 10 ball rack be considered using the equipment inappropriately? Did you get to watch the bigfoot challenge btw?

Last edited:

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only WPA rule that even comes close to saying this action was illegal is the rule stating that using equipment inappropriately is a foul. Apparently this is something that is done in the Philppines so to me it's no big deal that there was an argument over a rule as unspecific as this.. a rule that ultimately comes down to a judgement call that went in Shane's favor that Dennis did not understand. It's certainly not the worst thing that has happened and certainly not worthy of criticizing Dennis for imo.

Since you are interpreting the rules let me ask you. Would touching the one ball to create gaps in a 10 ball rack be considered using the equipment inappropriately? Did you get to watch the bigfoot challenge btw?

What are you talking about?

Just because they do it in the Philippines doesn't make it right. They're obviously not following WPA rules. Dennis used equipment inappropriately, and the referee made a ruling.

As for touching the one ball to create gaps, there is no specific rule that says you can't do that (although I think there should be). Ultimately that is up to the discretion of the TD.

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What are you talking about?

Just because they do it in the Philippines doesn't make it right. They're obviously not following WPA rules. Dennis used equipment inappropriately, and the referee made a ruling.

As for touching the one ball to create gaps, there is no specific rule that says you can't do that (although I think there should be). Ultimately that is up to the discretion of the TD.

What rules were they using then and show me the specific rule in the rules they were using that says what Dennis did was a foul. Was this discussed in the rule meeting? Was it ever made clear that this is illegal to Dennis? If not then the action and reaction seem quite normal to me since as Jay pointed out this is done in the Philippenes.

And I agree that there should be a very specific rule about touching the one ball and I also would like ID's interpretation of this scenario since he is giving his interpretations out.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Using another ball to judge a shot is ridiculous.
I don't understand why people think this is so bad - same with measuring to see if a ball will fit through an opening or taking your hand off your cue while measuring an angle or putting a piece of chalk on the rail to mark a target. He still has to hit it, and if he needs that kind of help and you don't, then you'll probably win anyway.

pj
chgo

Rico

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rules

In a perfect world players would abide by rules call fouls on themselves and know the rules .They would have integrity and play for millions with great sponsors , Oh thats GOLF .Instead everyone is Titanic Thompson.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't understand why people think this is so bad - same with measuring to see if a ball will fit through an opening or taking your hand off your cue while measuring an angle or putting a piece of chalk on the rail to mark a target. He still has to hit it, and if he needs that kind of help and you don't, then you'll probably win anyway.

pj
chgo

I disn't notice any comments that defined any level of bad.

Surely you acknowledge that if the line is drawn between right/ wrong, the matter at hand is on the wrong side?

Now if you are saying the rule is one dum...I'd like to help ya, son but ya too young to vote.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
When a player is allowed to place a ball to check, then allot more factors will come into play like touching a ball while measuring/or not, or if the player accidentally drops a ball and moves multiple balls etc. Hey when I grew up you were allowed to crawl on the table, but we all knew that wasn't right. I just think DO was ''in the zone'' and forgot is all. Is it ok to place Two balls on table to ck a shot, or three or Five :) ?

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can someone point me to the actual WPA rule that specifically forbids this?

All I see is this...

6.16 Unsportsmanlike Conduct
The normal penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct is the same as for a serious foul, but the referee may impose a penalty depending on his judgment of the conduct. Among other penalties possible are a warning; a standard-foul penalty, which will count as part of a three-foul sequence if applicable; a serious-foul penalty; loss of a rack, set or match; ejection from the competition possibly with forfeiture of all prizes, trophies and standings points.
Unsportsmanlike conduct is any intentional behavior that brings disrepute to the sport or which disrupts or changes the game to the extent that it cannot be played fairly. It includes
(a) distracting the opponent;
(b) changing the position of the balls in play other than by a shot;
(c) playing a shot by intentionally miscuing;
(d) continuing to play after a foul has been called or play has been suspended;
(e) practicing during a match;
(f) marking the table;
(g) delay of the game; and
(h) using equipment inappropriately.

Is it a foul/unsportsmanlike conduct under 6.16h? Am I missing something else?

Inaction

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A bridge is intended to provide a support for a cue shaft. It might be argued, (but wasn't), that supporting another bridge is not allowed since that is not the intended purpose.

Another way to use the bridge might be to put the butt end on the cloth and form a bridge with your hand while securing the bridge stick with your elbow/arm. This makes a nice support for a jump shot in the middle of the table.

Grey and black IMO

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A bridge is intended to provide a support for a cue shaft. It might be argued, (but wasn't), that supporting another bridge is not allowed since that is not the intended purpose.

Another way to use the bridge might be to put the butt end on the cloth and form a bridge with your hand while securing the bridge stick with your elbow/arm. This makes a nice support for a jump shot in the middle of the table.

Grey and black IMO

Yep. It would not be a big deal if "said opponent" got mad because a foul was called on him for "misusing equipment". Especially if the action is allowed where "said opponent" is from and there was no rule against it where they are playing now except for a vague rule that is not specific at all such as misuse of equipment.

Not for nothing that was a great shot by Shane though.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Grey and black IMO

Generally, when determining if 2 things are inherently similar, one must look at the goal (mission) of each 'thing'.

The mission of the bridge- when used in its highest position- is to elevate the cue. Putting 2 together remains true to the missio.

Proceed with the bridge-tower, use 4 or 5 with impunity. I hope you fall off and give me ball in hand!

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How many of us have used the cue stick as a helping aid to judge the angles on banks? I do it all the time. Couldn't that be argued as "using equipment inappropriately"?

So again, where exactly does it state in the WPA rules that Dennis cannot do what he did? And if it is 6.16h, then can we not use the cue (while holding on to it) for alignment/estimating purposes?

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A bridge is intended to provide a support for a cue shaft. It might be argued, (but wasn't), that supporting another bridge is not allowed since that is not the intended purpose. ...

From the WPA rules:

"1.3 Player’s Use of Equipment
(c) Mechanical Bridges – The player may use up to two mechanical bridges to support the cue stick during the shot. The configuration of the bridges is up to the player. He may use his own bridge if it is similar to standard bridges."

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
How many of us have used the cue stick as a helping aid to judge the angles on banks? I do it all the time. Couldn't that be argued as "using equipment inappropriately"? ...

From the WPA rules:

"6.12 Cue Stick on the Table
If the shooter uses his cue stick in order to align a shot by placing it on the table without having a hand on the stick, it is a foul."

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can someone point me to the actual WPA rule that specifically forbids this?

All I see is

Is it a foul/unsportsmanlike conduct under 6.16h? Am I missing something else?

I don't know, but Dennis is playing Frost right now, and Scott is practicing at the table while Dennis is on break.

6.16 Unsportsmanlike Conduct
The normal penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct is the same as for a serious foul, but the referee may impose a penalty depending on his judgment of the conduct. Among other penalties possible are a warning; a standard-foul penalty, which will count as part of a three-foul sequence if applicable; a serious-foul penalty; loss of a rack, set or match; ejection from the competition possibly with forfeiture of all prizes, trophies and standings points.
Unsportsmanlike conduct is any intentional behavior that brings disrepute to the sport or which disrupts or changes the game to the extent that it cannot be played fairly. It includes
(a) distracting the opponent;
(b) changing the position of the balls in play other than by a shot;
(c) playing a shot by intentionally miscuing;
(d) continuing to play after a foul has been called or play has been suspended;
(e) practicing during a match;
(f) marking the table;
(g) delay of the game; and
(h) using equipment inappropriately.

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From the WPA rules:

"6.12 Cue Stick on the Table
If the shooter uses his cue stick in order to align a shot by placing it on the table without having a hand on the stick, it is a foul."
Yes, I understand that explicitly stated rule. That is why I clarified by stating "(while holding on to it)" later in that post.

So why exactly is it allowable as long as the stick is held, given the same goal of aligning a shot? Either way, can it not be argued that the use of the cue is being used "inappropriately" (per 6.16h), since using the cue as an alignment tool isn't the primary function of that piece of equipment?

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know, but Dennis is playing Frost right now, and Scott is practicing at the table while Dennis is on break.
That is clearly a foul. If I'm not mistaken, Dennis got called on that not too long ago. Though, it wasn't during a break.

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is clearly a foul. If I'm not mistaken, Dennis got called on that not too long ago. Though, it wasn't during a break.

Well, Orcullo came back to the table and didn't call it. I was half expecting to see Frost rake the balls and concede if he did. So much raking going on here you'd think it was a gardening convention.