Another controversy with Mike Dechaine. This is beyond imagination...

OLD NO 9

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
I NEVER ask the audience or anyone in it to decide anything! I agree with Denis that's the wrong way to handle something like this. There are other ways to make a ruling like this and it begins with talking to each player separately. Sometimes a warning is in order. A good official must be able to use good judgement in the interest of fair play.

P.S. the rack is paper thin and just touching the edge of it would not alter the path of a ball. JUDGEMENT!

Jay, you didn't address if (the cue ball hits the plastic rack hanging over the rail) it is a foul?
Inquiring minds want to know.

P.S. if it did alter the path of the ball would it be the same call?

Last edited:

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was just starting to like Dechaine, seems like he had matured some.

As had been said, this is a Boyes move though. The template rack would not effect the movement of the balls and the sportsmanlike thing to do would be to ignore it, and or simply ask that the rack be moved.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not say he did or did not but how do you call a foul on yourself if you didn't foul?

Also, when in question with the match not being actively refereed, wouldn't a decision be made in FAVOR of the shooter?

A reasonable person would conclude it more likely that he had fouled, then that Mike, in cahoots with the ref and the whole crowd, fabricated it.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two questions:

1. Is it even a foul? Isn't the magic rack commonly left on the table until balls are cleared away from it and the cue ball frequently "touches" the rack? Isn't that the whole idea behind the magic rack - balls can "touch" it without causing a problem?

2. Who racked and put the template on the rail?

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
P.S. the rack is paper thin and just touching the edge of it would not alter the path of a ball. JUDGEMENT!

Rules are rules! If you can't or won't follow the rules that you established and agreed to, then there are no need for rules.

The same thing could be said about not calling a ball that is sitting directly in the pocket during call-pocket games or shots.

Calling a player on it is trivial and BS in most people's minds, but the minute you don't enforce them you open the can of worms for other infractions and offenses.

Who was the dumbass who took the rack off the table and placed it on the rail? The way I play, the person who has the shot DIRECTLY AFTER the break should be the one to remove the rack from the table and place it somewhere off the table. It should be standard practice to REMOVE the rack before shooting after the break.

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If Grabe had called the foul on himself like a normal human being, neither the ref nor the audience would have been involved.

This statement right here ^^^^

To me Mike is the only person here who is right. If it was an issue of "did it hit or not" then Mike had all right to question, if it was indeed a hit and known as a foul and Grabe saw it then he should of been ok with the call, the Ref should not of asked the crowd. "did the ball hit the rack guys? it's a foul Grabe as stated in the rule book ball in hand to Mike"

See I think the issue here is moral, whats a foul and and what isn't just like when Shane didn't call that ball overseas

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two questions:

1. Is it even a foul? Isn't the magic rack commonly left on the table until balls are cleared away from it and the cue ball frequently "touches" the rack? Isn't that the whole idea behind the magic rack - balls can "touch" it without causing a problem?

That's a good point: The magic rack (actually outsville rack?) is an exception to the normal rule about other objects being touched. No way this should have been called a foul, even if it did happen, IMO.

mudball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I long for the day when "prestigious" tournaments aren't filled with moves. Mike in the wrong, or Denis in the wrong, this isn't the kind of crap that should be deciding matches in the US Open. Sigh.

ChicagoJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's a good point: The magic rack (actually outsville rack?) is an exception to the normal rule about other objects being touched. No way this should have been called a foul, even if it did happen, IMO.

Sitting over the rail and lying flat on the table are two completely different scenarios.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two questions:

2. Who racked and put the template on the rail?

I would think the rack is to be removed immediately following the break, unless doing so would disturb the lay of the balls. I would also think that once the rack is removed from the playing surface, it is no longer considered a part of the playing surface.

I don't believe your second question should factor into a ruling.

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was just starting to like Dechaine, seems like he had matured some.

As had been said, this is a Boyes move though. The template rack would not effect the movement of the balls and the sportsmanlike thing to do would be to ignore it, and or simply ask that the rack be moved.

This is the problem here, deciding what one should and should do based on the level of some lame moral call. If you were playing for 100,000 hill-hill with Ko or Darren or whoever and it was the 6,7,8,9 on the table wide open would you of called it?

Or are you the guy who give everyone a pass "ah just shot, you only touched the ball it didn't move" then talk about how you gave the guy a pass and probably would of won.

If it's a foul then it's a foul, you call it, no hard feelings.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
It's not a Magic Rack!
And it's not plastic!
It's Chris Renfro's Accu-Rack and it's made of fabric.
I hang mine on a little hook after breaking. They should do the same at the Open.
In fact REQUIRE it!

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sitting over the rail and lying flat on the table are two completely different scenarios.

I can't think of another object that the balls are allowed to touch on the table but not when it's on the rail.

The template seems to violate the letter of this rule:
6 Touched Ball
It is a foul to touch, move or change the path of any object ball except by the normal ball-to-ball contacts during shots. It is a foul to touch, move or change the path of the cue ball except when it is in hand or by the normal tip-to-ball forward stroke contact of a shot. The shooter is responsible for the equipment he controls at the table, such as chalk, bridges, clothing, his hair, parts of his body, and the cue ball when it is in hand, that may be involved in such fouls. If such a foul is accidental, it is a standard foul, but if it is intentional, it is 6.16 Unsportsmanlike Conduct.
So were "violating" or amending that rule for the template. If you allow it to touch the rack while it's on the table, I think you should be pretty lenient about it touching when it's on the rail.

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Drama headlines

I don't like drama headlines that just suck you into reading lesser or phony issues.
After reading SJM's fine post, I see that Dechaine was not anywhere near the ogre that the headline seems to imply; according to SJM, the other guy was the jerk in this case......I guess OP is a Dechaine hater.........

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I don't like drama headlines that just suck you into reading lesser or phony issues.
After reading SJM's fine post, I see that Dechaine was not anywhere near the ogre that the headline seems to imply; according to SJM, the other guy was the jerk in this case......I guess OP is a Dechaine hater.........

Plenty of those here on AZB