Another Name for Juma?

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone have a generic name for Juma? I know it is a thermoplastic but not sure if it is polyethylene or another plastic.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Unlike many plastics we use in cue making that are borrowed from other industries & given a new name, I believe Juma is uniquely its own. Only one manufacturer and they only call it Juma.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Unlike many plastics we use in cue making that are borrowed from other industries & given a new name, I believe Juma is uniquely its own. Only one manufacturer and they only call it Juma.

That my very well be what the manufacturer calls it, but it would likely still be identifiable by it's actual composition. That information however is likely proprietary. ;) My apologies for the intrusion. :)

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
That my very well be what the manufacturer calls it, but it would likely still be identifiable by it's actual composition. That information however is likely proprietary. ;) My apologies for the intrusion. :)

The mix ratio is proprietary.
Darryn Hill claimed he told them to add more epoxy after he was sent some samples.

In the plastics world, the cue industry is just a dot in the universe.
It's a miracle Juma or T-34 are even being made.
But Juma is also now a popular knife handle material.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The mix ratio is proprietary.
Darryn Hill claimed he told them to add more epoxy after he was sent some samples.

In the plastics world, the cue industry is just a dot in the universe.
It's a miracle Juma or T-34 are even being made.
But Juma is also now a popular knife handle material.

Agreed. When I was searching for the material for Project Tomahawk, it was a miracle that I found one particular company that was initially willing to deal with me. I was just a tiny niche blip in their world. When I turned the material over to Kelly Peterson, I was thrilled they agreed to continue supplying to him. :cool:

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I discovered, as mentioned in an earlier post, that it is manufactured in Germany by one company. AS far as I know, Atlas is the main supplier in the U.S. It is available from some knife supply folks but Haven't seen it in .125 thickness, yet.

I have not found anything else that is close in appearance except elforyn and Avorin. Obviously, they have their own properties and are quite different from Juma.

I contacted a number of companies in the U. S. but nothing available.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Other than looks what makes Elforyn quite different from Juma?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Agreed. When I was searching for the material for Project Tomahawk, it was a miracle that I found one particular company that was initially willing to deal with me. I was just a tiny niche blip in their world. When I turned the material over to Kelly Peterson, I was thrilled they agreed to continue supplying to him. :cool:

And you have to fork up a good chunk to get it started.

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Anyone have a generic name for Juma? I know it is a thermoplastic but not sure if it is polyethylene or another plastic.

I have to believe that Juma is a thermoset, not a thermoplastic.

Freddie <~~~ plastically speaking

Scratchy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe they indicate on the website that it is thermoplastic and can be deformed after submersing in boiling water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scratchy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I double checked and Atlas calls it both:
“The Juma material is a colored thermoset plastic. It machines easily with a small chip, and polishes up to a fine luster, and will not mushroom. Juma glues well with Epoxy, and holds a finish as well.

Juma is also Thermoformable. Submerge in boiling water and it can be formed and bent.”

which seems contradictory in its nature. I have used the boiling water trick so I KNOW it is formable. By definition if something is thermoset, it would seem that it would be stable under subsequent heating, wouldn’t it?

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What I do know is that Atlas has been out of the thin white Juma for some time. I was told it would arrive in the next 2-3 weeks.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, I double checked and Atlas calls it both:
“The Juma material is a colored thermoset plastic. It machines easily with a small chip, and polishes up to a fine luster, and will not mushroom. Juma glues well with Epoxy, and holds a finish as well.

Juma is also Thermoformable. Submerge in boiling water and it can be formed and bent.”

which seems contradictory in its nature. I have used the boiling water trick so I KNOW it is formable. By definition if something is thermoset, it would seem that it would be stable under subsequent heating, wouldn’t it?

It’s not contradictory, but I can see why you might think it is. It’s a thermoset, and Atlas doesn’t called it anything else. I don’t know enough about this particular Juma, but thermosets like certain silicones can be thermoform-able (to a point). In other words, thermoforming isn’t exactly an opposite to all thermosets. In times like this, I lean on my materials experts that I work with to tell my how boiling water could possible reform a thermoset. Some newer thermoset can be reformed or at least broken down under some kind of strong acid.

We shall see. It reads like this is a rigid, high strength Polyurethane thermoset mixed with some magic.

Freddie

Last edited: