Another pool hall going under

Spider1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As an example of the economics for regular bars (NOT clubs) of smoking bans: place I used to work at saw a 80% drop in ring outs following the smoking ban in Arizona. After 6 months that improved to only a 60-70% drop in ring outs. After 1 year of the smoking ban, things had 'improved' to only a 25-50% drop since pre-ban, which is where it stayed for the next couple years until I left there. I did the accounting logging at the end of every night for all shifts and was able to dig out old ledgers and compare.

I should explain those numbers. That's comparing apples-to-apples, i.e. first friday of the month vs first friday of the month, St Patrick's day one year to the next, etc. The nights biggest hit were the 'off nights' like sun/mon/tue, which saw a 75%+ drop even after 6 months and generally stayed like that. Prime nights thu/fri/sat were the least effected, but still saw huge declines.

The reason business 'improves' after 6 months or a year is that the drop in sales causes lots of bars to close, and you generally pick up a few regulars from every one of your local competitors that close. About the bars that close: generally the ones with the best chance to stay alive are the places who own their own building. Anyone with a landlord who doesn't want to hear about sales declines when rent is due is in a lot of trouble. We saw 6 bars close within a couple miles of our location within a year of the ban first hitting. Now 2 or 3 years later I think only two of those places reopened with new owners.

Restaurants are largely unaffected by smoking bans, as everyone already knew would be the case. However, to bars the bans are a blight on an industry already plagued with more draconian dui laws and lawsuits. After bans pass you will see lots of glowing articles about how "the hospitality industry is unaffected!" but then read the fine print and every single one of them lumps restaurants in with bars, skewing the statistics. They won't put the numbers out for just bars because they know they are horrendous.

And this is to say nothing of the loss of tax revenue. Bars and liquor are heavily taxed, and especially today in poor economic times, with our state selling off public buildings to try to meet the budget, the LAST thing we should be doing is discouraging tax paying businesses with stupid, intrusive, 'do gooder' laws like these.

I know this is a long post, and I am sorry for that, but I think people outside our industry just really don't have any idea of how bad things really are with these bans and maybe a first hand perspective might help.

eze123

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Question

I'm just curious, where I am we heard alot about bars (non-pool) suffering from smoking bans, people saying they wouldn't come anymore, and so forth. We had a dip for awhile, but nothing long term, because where else are you going to go? Stay at home? Where I am bar business is exactly as it was, keeping in mind the recession, you just have a roped off place out front where people can smoke. You have heaters in the winter.
I don't get it. What happened to all the hardcore pool players? They stopped playing completely because they have to go outside to smoke? It's weird to me, young people still go out to bars, they've already gotten used to the outside smoking area, the younger ones never knew a smoky bar, it's a meet up area. If all the pool players quit the game because of smoking, it seems like a priority issue, and smoking won?

Spider1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ask the employees of the bars you frequent. Bartenders/owners are a fairly tight knit group and generally hear all the local news from other bars. I bet they could tell you exactly how much of a 'dip' your area experienced, and how many closures they saw.

About pool halls specifically, I think pool has other other things going on besides just smoking bans. But for sure they do not help at all.

Wags

2 pocket-one pocket table
Silver Member
eze

I'm just curious, where I am we heard alot about bars (non-pool) suffering from smoking bans, people saying they wouldn't come anymore, and so forth. We had a dip for awhile, but nothing long term, because where else are you going to go? Stay at home? Where I am bar business is exactly as it was, keeping in mind the recession, you just have a roped off place out front where people can smoke. You have heaters in the winter.
I don't get it. What happened to all the hardcore pool players? They stopped playing completely because they have to go outside to smoke? It's weird to me, young people still go out to bars, they've already gotten used to the outside smoking area, the younger ones never knew a smoky bar, it's a meet up area. If all the pool players quit the game because of smoking, it seems like a priority issue, and smoking won?

It's not the hard core players that left. It's the social players that keep a room open. Please check the room owners forum to see the full impact of the smoking bans, not just for room owners but for the bars also.

Spider 1 is spot on in his assesments. In fact, his area sounds like it was hit worse than others. The read I get from most owners is a 60% drop and after 3 years, for those that have the resources to stick it out, maybe a 15%return. Those figures seem to come up consistently.

In 2004 I put together a room database from US Yellow Pages and the number of rooms were approx. 5000. I did it again this year and ended up with 3500.

BayBilliards

Fox Lake, IL
We have 25 tables. Full craved double wood bar. freshly redone 9, 8, and 7 foot tables. All simions 860 hr. It is hard getting people in the door these days. We have nice equipment, very nice staff, competive drink prices and also a food menu. Pool players want a huge tournament with huge payout without rooms taking any greens fees. Pool players dont like to spend money. We can throw a tournament with 35 players that show up and 3/4 of them dont even order a drink or anything.. And yet they are the same people that complain about a few dollars for a greens fee. How do people exspect us to keep our doors open??? Or without hundreds of dollars added by the poolroom the players dont even want to play.... I think there is a direct reason for the lack of business. But we are still here. Making it but not by much. But a few of you are right. You need to market and advertise but we need your help just as much. You guy are just like me not wanting to see this happen to the pool world but without this industry coming together and working together we will all be a dieing breed. I believe I'm a pool player and I try and give the players everything I would want in a table or in a room but now players want 2 bucks an hour for table, crazy during the day specials, and yet they still wont spend 40 bucks.. It sucks lol

dogginda9

I need a vacation.
Silver Member
Tough nut to crack...........

jbravo hit alot of the nails on the head as far as I'm concerned. Well said. Many different reasons why pool rooms make it or fail, that's for sure.
I will say that as far as the Pool Loft goes, I know for a fact that Ernie has tried to run leagues and tournaments and the turnouts just weren't there. It has nothing to do with him not putting in the effort that's for sure. Not to mention every time I've ever been there the place was clean, pretty quiet, has great equipment and a friendly face behind the counter. I would speculate that no liquor, no food, no alcohol, the economy, location, rent and maybe just a down turn in the local pool playing community numbers have all played some part in this situation. Having been involved in a local pool rooms' ownership before, I can say with pretty good certainty that the Pool Lofts' closing had little or nothing to do with the ownership not doing all that he could to make it work. Sometimes things just don't work out. It's a shame for sure.:frown:

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
I'm in Koln Germany right now I went to this little room the other night with 6 9' tables, it was packed on a thursday night. They put a smoking ban in Germany about 2 years ago, that room would have no chance in America, even if you owned the building it still wouldnt survive. the pool culture in America has terminal cancer. the exception being "Hobby" league players who dont know who SVB is. the 7' box's will survive IMO

I play in a 1 night a week ACS "hobby" league on bar boxes (I hate playing on them, but I don't have a choice if I want to play) and out of 10 teams in the league i'd say that maybe 3 people counting myself know who SVB is. You couldn't have put it better and the league has some descent players in it, but they don't know a thing about the pro players. I take a week off every year to go to the US Open and there are only a couple of players who have a clue about where i'm going!

James

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tell that to the owners and employees.

Smoking bans are hell on bars too, not just pool halls.

Hey Spider, I was being facetious, check my posts in general and you will find I am 110% against the smoking government smoking bans. They are an infringement on the property rights of the business owner. But while smokers realize there are non-smoking venues where they must not smoke the non-smokers believe it's their right to have things their way where ever they choose to go. I'm lucky, I live in Tennessee and while the restaurants are all non-smoking ( and I don't mind) the bars and pool rooms and such have a choice based on the clientele being adults. We do in fact have both smoker friendly and non-smoker pool rooms. This works very well for both sides.

LOW E.T.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jbravo hit alot of the nails on the head as far as I'm concerned. Well said. Many different reasons why pool rooms make it or fail, that's for sure.
I will say that as far as the Pool Loft goes, I know for a fact that Ernie has tried to run leagues and tournaments and the turnouts just weren't there. It has nothing to do with him not putting in the effort that's for sure. Not to mention every time I've ever been there the place was clean, pretty quiet, has great equipment and a friendly face behind the counter. I would speculate that no liquor, no food, no alcohol, the economy, location, rent and maybe just a down turn in the local pool playing community numbers have all played some part in this situation. Having been involved in a local pool rooms' ownership before, I can say with pretty good certainty that the Pool Lofts' closing had little or nothing to do with the ownership not doing all that he could to make it work. Sometimes things just don't work out. It's a shame for sure.:frown:

AGREED,, it is a great place.. the equipt. is top notch. some tables with tight pockets. great players. and good people. what else does it need... nowhere else to go around here.. surely not with all he has to offer
... he will stay open till may 1st. people should check this place out..

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey JBravo, I agree with your critique of the pool halls here in Chicago and the burbs but you did not mention The Pyramid Club.. What is you opinion of them??

pool halls strive in poor economic conditions. History has proven that. RJ, your arguements are weak dude. You're using Chris' and Quentin as your examples of pool halls that are going strong? Lol. Every time I've ever been into Quentin, I wonder two things, where is everybody and how in the works are these guys still open?! There are more rooms that have closed in Chicago since the smoking ban than there has been in the 2 decades prior. Guess what? The average household had video games and Internet the while time! what hasn't been killed off by the smoking ban is dying because of Unmotivated know it all Chicago pool room owners and league operators who don't keep their equipment up, fail to promote their rooms/leagues/events, don't spend money to make money, hire druggies and drug dealin "employees", who are pAid only just enough to get them to work hard enough to not get fired. The pool world is full of cheap skates and room owners who don't do one major thing. Listen to their customers.
I'll help you all understand why some rooms are performing way lower than they have the potential for.

Rockford billiard cafe- crappy equipment compared to their competitors just 20 mi north of them, didn't want to work with the room with the best tourneys in the country Any more... The carom room. Not to mention they screwed over the acs and didn't hold up their end of the deal with the last tour willing to waste time on their room.

State and Madison in Rockford, gloomy, uninviting, horrible equipment.

Main st Billiards in Algonquin- mediocre equipment, horrible staff -they actually tell people to "go next door for food, it's way better than ours...", the bar tender never makes rounds to the people outside if the bar.

Hammerheads in west Dundee- they are too cheap to do anything the right way, that includes keeping their promises to people who promote their room and run their tournaments...

Quentin- looks nice at first, barboxes are inconsistent from table to table, their 9 footers all have bad rolls with the exception of their "action table" which has improperly installed rails... No alcohol doesn't help either... If your going to be one of the last true "pool halls" in Illinois. Do it right! I bet Ames' tables were kept up.

Lee st Billiards- the people working don't even have keys to the merchandise that's for sale... Need I say more?

Chris' cuephoria- yeah let's build a $40,000 2nd bar in the middle of the room that will never be staffed and never get used. It'll only take up so much room that we'll have to eliminate half our tables but WTF?! Who cares?! It's not like this is a pool hall?! Lol!

Chris'- this is the one place you can still smoke at! Just not jn the front room... I've voice my opinion of Chris' before so if you want to know why this place is still alive, I'll offer this as speculation. It's the cheapest place you can go to at 1am in the morning in Chicago when you're Mexican and want to get your drink on with store bought booze...

Green pocket- closes after smoking bam
green room downers grove-closed after smoking bam
green room aurora-closed after smoking bam
palace Billiards- closes after smoking bam but their location was simply too expensive with like $30,000 a mont in rent or something crazy like that...
Oscars- closed right? Shortly after smoking ban...
Rudys in aurora- awesome equipment, good food, awesome staff, consistent tournaments, outdoor heated smoking accomodations... But they aren't really a pool room, just a nice bar with great tables.
Red shoes- the best around.
Palace- good food, nice staff for the most part, successful leagues, CRAPPY equipment. Every other table has bad rolls to it. It's like playing on a 9ft barbox...
63rd-st downsized recently and looks alright. Not real familiar with their business though... Guess that tells you something as I've been in there 1 time in 5 years.
Protyme- Amazing equipment and layout, but unsuccessful attempts at weekly tournaments, and the owner can be the biggest jerk in Illinois with the flip of a switch.
Shark city is cool, mostly because they don't pay attention to the people who are on their league tables playing for free... If it wasn't free I wouldn't be there playing at all honestly... The diamond tables looked pretty bad with all the drink stains on the tables the last time I was there...

what's te main money maker that almost all of these have In common? Alcohol. Quentin and Chris' will be closed within a couple years if something major doesn't chang. For Quentin, they need alcohol and to keep up their equipment. For Chris', the need to replace that asshole tournament director, get some barboxes in that place, clean it up and take some pride in their business, promote it and it could be back to what it once was, even in this economy and the ne alone will will keep it afloat...
All the rest of 'em will conitinue to do okay ad long as they renew their liquor license. But the point is, the days of the "chicago poolhall" went away with the ban of smoking inside public places in Chicago.
There are things that can be done to improve conditions for some of the businesses that offer Billiards as entertainment, but those same changes were ones that could have been implemented before the smoking ban and that was years ago and I don't see many of them happening any time soon...
RJ, you live in a dream world if you don't think room have closed due to the smoking ban. The pool loft has been scrapping bottom ever since just like everyone else since the ban. It's just that some room owners have enough money to lose and stay open for a few years more than others...

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Hmmmmm

pool halls strive in poor economic conditions. History has proven that. RJ, your arguements are weak dude. You're using Chris' and Quentin as your examples of pool halls that are going strong? Lol.

ChicagoRJ - dude, you miss quoted me...here is my exact words. "Most of the rooms I play in for both leagues, and tourneys are still up and running,,,doing great? No. But people are spending way less when they don't have the extra income. Our league is near capacity ever session, before and after smoking ban. We lost nobody to ban"
My reference to Quentin and Chirs' was that there are actual pool rooms that do not sell liquor....I would never do that...too much lost income,but it was a fact, and as we both know, neither is doing great.

ChicagoRJ - plus Shark City has changed ownership how many times in the last 7 years? We took the leagues out of there and brought them to newly opened Pyramid Club. Then the new owner of Shark City actually tried to bribe Long Hair Rob and myself with $1500 to take our team to Vegas if we kept the leagues at his place. We told him to shove it. Just because he was a scumbag didn't mean we were going to sell out our entire league for a trip to Vegas.

RJ, you live in a dream world if you don't think room have closed due to the smoking ban. The pool loft has been scrapping bottom ever since just like everyone else since the ban. It's just that some room owners have enough money to lose and stay open for a few years more than others...

No, I really don't live in a dream world, it's more of a reality. When exactly did the recession begin? According to the Bureau of Economic Research, the current recession starting December 2007, with a financial bubble burst in mid-2008. And the IL smoking ban started January 2008. Hmmmm, isn't that interesting. So can we finally stop blaming a smoking ban on the sorry state of the pool world in and around Chicago.

You made a very good list of pool rooms in the Chicago area, and listed all their problems, from crappy equipment, crappy food, crappy service, to crappy tourneys and crappy leagues, etc. You hit the nail on the head. How long do businesses stay afloat with this kind of "crappy stuff"? Not very long. Might be a reason Pyrmaid Club lasted through the economy,,, good owner, great service, great equipment, great leagues, good food and great selection of beer !!

The smoking ban put no dent in this place, but survived the economy because people keep coming back. I doubt he is getting rich, because he has only been open for 6 or so years, and then the economy hit the crapper.

It is either the economy or as Fatboy says, folks just have other things to do , and pool is just not one of them. Or at the very least a combo of both. As much as we all love this game, it is still a few steps behind even bowling. Not happy about that, but it's true.

PS: you play in many places around Chicago, and I'm figuring you shoot pretty good. Come on down to Pyramid Club and I'll get you hooked up on a team !! Heck, if you are lights out, YOU"RE on my team !!!!

Last edited:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Hmmmm

We have 25 tables. Full craved double wood bar. freshly redone 9, 8, and 7 foot tables. All simions 860 hr. It is hard getting people in the door these days. We have nice equipment, very nice staff, competive drink prices and also a food menu. Pool players want a huge tournament with huge payout without rooms taking any greens fees. Pool players dont like to spend money. We can throw a tournament with 35 players that show up and 3/4 of them dont even order a drink or anything.. And yet they are the same people that complain about a few dollars for a greens fee. How do people exspect us to keep our doors open??? Or without hundreds of dollars added by the poolroom the players dont even want to play.... I think there is a direct reason for the lack of business. But we are still here. Making it but not by much. But a few of you are right. You need to market and advertise but we need your help just as much. You guy are just like me not wanting to see this happen to the pool world but without this industry coming together and working together we will all be a dieing breed. I believe I'm a pool player and I try and give the players everything I would want in a table or in a room but now players want 2 bucks an hour for table, crazy during the day specials, and yet they still wont spend 40 bucks.. It sucks lol

Here is a Chicago Pool Room owner and not one complaint about the smoking ban !!

PS: You might want to get your new phone number out there. I googled you guys a few weeks ago and the number listed was disconnected, so I just assumed you guys were closed. It was the same number listed in Inside English paper that is around town.......RJ

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As Fred Allen said, in his inimitable nasal twang, "Vaudeville is dead and television is the box they buried it in".

Too paraphrase that a bit one could say, "Pool is dead and the bar table is the box they buried it in".

Not so though. Pool of the type that many of us here enjoy, nine foot tables and 14.1 will survive somehow.

Dave Nelson

jbravo2984

~{BULL DURHAM CUES}~
Silver Member
Hey JBravo, I agree with your critique of the pool halls here in Chicago and the burbs but you did not mention The Pyramid Club.. What is you opinion of them??

Pyramid club? Well they have strong leagues and good food. It's actually one of the better mixes of sports bar and pool hall you're going to find anywhere. Their equipment isn't action friendly but it works for leaugues and bangers. It's a shame because with such nice tables you would think they would have them cleaned and maintained better. The pockets are big but I always play well there. Overall it's cool, a good place to match up as long as you're not too picky about table conditions and if you don't plan on doing so on a weekend during the afternoon to early night. That's when the real housewives of Chicago show up with their massive litters and no leashes. The kids run rampant there and it gets a little out of control. Other than that, they need to level, clean, and maintain there tables and I'd call if a top spot.

jbravo2984

~{BULL DURHAM CUES}~
Silver Member
Pyramid club does is still alive because if the restaurant style seating area they have, the bar, etc... Without those extra frills, smoking van kills this place too...

No, I really don't live in a dream world, it's more of a reality. When exactly did the recession begin? According to the Bureau of Economic Research, the current recession starting December 2007, with a financial bubble burst in mid-2008. And the IL smoking ban started January 2008. Hmmmm, isn't that interesting. So can we finally stop blaming a smoking ban on the sorry state of the pool world in and around Chicago.

You made a very good list of pool rooms in the Chicago area, and listed all their problems, from crappy equipment, crappy food, crappy service, to crappy tourneys and crappy leagues, etc. You hit the nail on the head. How long do businesses stay afloat with this kind of "crappy stuff"? Not very long. Might be a reason Pyrmaid Club lasted through the economy,,, good owner, great service, great equipment, great leagues, good food and great selection of beer !!

The smoking ban put no dent in this place, but survived the economy because people keep coming back. I doubt he is getting rich, because he has only been open for 6 or so years, and then the economy hit the crapper.

It is either the economy or as Fatboy says, folks just have other things to do , and pool is just not one of them. Or at the very least a combo of both. As much as we all love this game, it is still a few steps behind even bowling. Not happy about that, but it's true.

PS: you play in many places around Chicago, and I'm figuring you shoot pretty good. Come on down to Pyramid Club and I'll get you hooked up on a team !! Heck, if you are lights out, YOU"RE on my team !!!!

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
I have to say, I talked to an ex-room owner not long ago. He said he could never make it in a room again.

He said in 1983 he was getting 3.25 per hour per person and the rent was 650 a month. Now the same room has a 6.50 and hour per person rate but pays 4k a month.

JV

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
It's really a shame so many rooms are closing, even more a shame is the hope of getting over 2 grand for the GC tables. I'd say the more likely would be in the 900 to 1500 range.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Hmmm

Pyramid club does is still alive because if the restaurant style seating area they have, the bar, etc... Without those extra frills, smoking van kills this place too...

Interesting?? All the restaurants, all the bars and all the poolrooms thought smoking ban was going to close them down. That didn't happen. Now you still blame smoking ban for pool rooms, but that because Pyramid Club has bar and some restaurant seating it's keeping them alive.

And since you won't listen to logic when presented with the facts regarding the economy and that the economy was going into the tank just as the smoking ban passed was the real effect on pool rooms, and many businesses at this time that continue today.

And of course, you bring no evidence to the table, even though there is not one pool room owner that says it was any less crowded the very next day after the smoking ban took effect.

But I'll agree with you anyways. And a BIG so what? Too bad, and smoking ain't coming back, and everyone and every business might as well deal with it and provide something for their customers beside the ability to smoke a cigarette to draw business. If they can't. BYE BYE.

Heck, you could legalize smoking, dope, crack and heroine and I'm not opening a poolroom in todays climate (economy and dismal interest in pool).

Maybe a very cool bar, with Big Screen TV's, some Off track betting, run poker tourneys/leagues, a few bands on weekends, etc, but also happens to have four really nice tables. But it would be a BAR first and foremost. And poolroom would be an afterthought.......

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Hmmm

I have to say, I talked to an ex-room owner not long ago. He said he could never make it in a room again.

He said in 1983 he was getting 3.25 per hour per person and the rent was 650 a month. Now the same room has a 6.50 and hour per person rate but pays 4k a month.

JV

Great Point CC. My dad's poolroom was charging $3 per hour from 9am to 9pm and $5 per hour from 9pm till 9am. Yes, it was open 24 hours. And that was in 1979. You can play around Chicago suburbs for $7 for over 5 hours in some places, some places it is free on Tuesdays, and some it's $12 for the entire day. Crazy.

But the rents are pretty darn high, and kinda crazy to tie up all the space with a 1500 pound block of wood you have to give away because folks don't want to pay. I was at a place and the guy in front of me was annoyed because he was charged $10 per hour, and his bill was like $25. He thought he was getting hustled, but it was a nicer place on a Saturday night and it was still only $10 per hour.