Antique Table Buyers Remorse? Advice needed PLEASE.

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
I purchased this table sight unseen today. First off, I've never played Billiards/Carom in my life, but I'm a pool fiend and this table is absolutely beautiful. More importantly, the price seemed right, maybe? I have no idea what to expect cost-wise for moving this beast?? I assume new felt is standard with moving (any suggestions?), so another expense? And new rails while I'm at it??

I also don't have the first clue what its value might be? It appears to be excellent condition(?), but I was only working off these pictures... Furthermore, the seller just acquired it themselves and they don't know the history behind it.

Any thoughts, suggestions, advice is much appreciated! Are there people out there who play this?

Thanks,
Jesse
 

Attachments

  • zzz3.jpg
    zzz3.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 711
  • zzz1.jpg
    zzz1.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 704
  • zzz4.jpg
    zzz4.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 694
  • zzz2.jpg
    zzz2.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 676
Last edited:
Gorgeous table, but it has T-rails and getting it converted will be expensive.

If you aren't interested in playing 3-cuahion full time, I would list this for $350 on Craigslist and sell it out of the guy's house. Moving this will cost you a few hundred. New cloth and rails are optional.

If the price was under $350, then the price was right
 
Do you have room to set it up at your house?

Carom games are great and that table appears to be in glorious shape. T-rails are certainly functional- perhaps not the best, but it is kind of like drum brakes on a car...

That said, there really seems to be a real small market for pocketless tables. I'd get lots of pictures while it is built, if you have to get it disassembled and out of there and into storage.

Alternately, you could beg the seller for mercy and tell him you will give him $100 for the trouble, if he will let you out of the deal.
 
Last edited:
That table is a beast! It also has value to someone who loves billiards, and there are people like that out there. It may take some time but the right person will come along that wants that table. If you have room to store it then why not? I'd advertise in high end publications that reach an elite market, and I'd offer it for a substantial price as well. Wealthy people are leery of under priced goods. They want rare and unusual and will pay for it. Been there, done that. :smile:

How about that billionaire who recently put up 600K for the worlds top billiard players to hold a private tournament in his mansion? You think he wouldn't want that table? 10K to a guy like that is chump change.
 
That table is a beast! It also has value to someone who loves billiards, and there are people like that out there. It may take some time but the right person will come along that wants that table. If you have room to store it then why not? I'd advertise in high end publications that reach an elite market, and I'd offer it for a substantial price as well. Wealthy people are leery of under priced goods. They want rare and unusual and will pay for it. Been there, done that. :smile:

How about that billionaire who recently put up 600K for the worlds top billiard players to hold a private tournament in his mansion? You think he wouldn't want that table? 10K to a guy like that is chump change.

Ditto this. If looks could kill that table is a mass murderer.
 
Beautiful table. I grew up playing 3 cushion on a similar Brunswick back in the day when every room had one. There is a room in Northeast Philly that has one that I have the pleasure to play on a couple times of year.
 
Nothing wrong with the table design, so long as you really want an old school, unheated billiard table. I'd be pleased to have it, given room for both a 9' pocket and at least a 9' billiard in the same rec room. :thumbup:

It is not as old as the 1912 label. I believe the Monroe did not appear until about 1926. It kind of replaced the earlier Madison, which looked very similar.

20110016-25.jpg


This is what people mean by "T-rail"

20110016-24.jpg


It is a design that lasted for 100 yrs; but may take a bit more maintenance than rails that bolt through vertically to slate that goes under the rail for full support (as on Centennial, Anniversary, and ultimately GC's)

smt
 
you must have had a reason for buying it

what has caused you to have remorse?
I know I do it myself,but then i always lose money

billliard tables are hard to sell,but yours is beautiful

set it up,show it off and enjoy it,you can not dgo wrong by holding on
 
don't know why I found myself trying to understand the hand written math at the top of
the broacher….

then there's the curtains for dividing/closing the room off or "on" depending on the game, I guess..

If this is some kind of a flip buy/sell, you must be young and ambitious.

Back in the day, a few years ago, maybe 2 or 3, when I was thinking about building a
table, a fellow named Schmidt was telling me that end bolting (T-bolt) gave the best
pushback, cushion percussion response. He also said it is the most difficult, time
consuming to maintain.

If you're looking to get into the history of it all, you're in like flint, carry-on...
 
365=405=1/2. Makes perfect sense to me.

But then vertically...405-10%=365.

I also wonder what the author was tryin to figger?!
don't know why I found myself trying to understand the hand written math at the top of
the broacher….

then there's the curtains for dividing/closing the room off or "on" depending on the game, I guess..

If this is some kind of a flip buy/sell, you must be young and ambitious.

Back in the day, a few years ago, maybe 2 or 3, when I was thinking about building a
table, a fellow named Schmidt was telling me that end bolting (T-bolt) gave the best
pushback, cushion percussion response. He also said it is the most difficult, time
consuming to maintain.

If you're looking to get into the history of it all, you're in like flint, carry-on...
 
Back
Top