antique white linen wrap

cribbeecues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A customer wanted a white wrap installed. I had never done or have had
a request for solid white(just happened to have some I was experimenting with). It was being installed on a rosewood handle. After making sure
I had a tight wrap so the rosewood wouldn't show thru I cleaned and pressed.
The wrap looks shadowy and dengy. Anyone have any tips , secrets or
horror stories to share on white wraps?

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
They look pretty in pictures but don't seem to do well in the real world.
Think about it. You say it's shadowy & dingy and it hasn't left your shop yet.
Imagine what it will look like a month from now.
To the best of my knowledge, Meucci is the only one that does an antique white and they clear-coat over it.
It's pretty difficult as it is to prevent cross-color contamination from one color of wrap to another.
Your presser & burnisher (and other tools that come in contact with the wrap) need to be surgically clean.
The 'shadowy & dingy' that you speak of may be corrected by washing it with mild dish-soap.
Rinse thoroughly and hope your glue holds up.
It should, at least, look more uniform.

HTHs, KJ

cribbeecues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
KJ, you're correct on the cleanliness. I washed my hands and cleaned my pressor. Still does not look like a wrap I would want personally. Maybe the
customer will change his mind to a double brown with white specs. I would
rather eat the cost and time than send something out that even I am not
satisfied with.

ddcuerepair

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I purchased a linen press just for white wraps and I keep it in a sealed plastic bag to keep it clean.
I went to the white glue sticks just for this wrap I press it dry then I spray it with scotch guard and let it dry.
This has worked out well for me.

ddcuerepair

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I still try my hardest to talk the customer out of the white wraps. But you get that one who will not take any other color.

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
I still try my hardest to talk the customer out of the white wraps. But you get that one who will not take any other color.

Hi,

I just had a situation where the customer wanted no spec on a light cue wrap. My shop was visited the other day buy a top tier cue maker and he saw the cue and asked me what wrap was going on it. When I said antique white, he said call that guy back and tell him I said he should change his mind because it is a big mistake.

I talked to the customer who is a great guy and explained some of the downfalls and he eagerly changed his mind to a brown spec.

Rick

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member
I stopped offering white linen years ago unless it has finish sprayed over it. Almost every one I have done has come back because the customer is unhappy with how dirty it got after very little use. This is even after I try to talk them out of it.

Side note; when I do need to install one on a darker handle, I paint the handle white so it doesn't show through.

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my first and last stingray wrap

bought a stingray hide and it looked great, nice little black bumps and it felt great. i started to cut it and it would not cut straight, i tried everything in my shop, shears, different scissors, and muti razor knives. the little bumps are as hard as dried epoxy. i finally got it on, and it looked so bad i stripped it off, NO MORE STINGRAY FOR ME.

wrong thread sorry

Last edited:

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glad I'm not the only one that prefers to stay away from the white. I'm the same way, and always try to talk the customer into a darker wrap.