Any home only players

GodinSession

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello to all. I have been reading\learning a lot in these forums for the past 8 months or so. I am 46 years old, and about 1 year ago as a divorce present to myself bought a pool table. I LOVE the game! Always liked pool, but never was more than a weekend bar player.

In September I joined my local APA league. I am now halfway through my second session. I am seriously thinking that this may be my last session. I have learned a lot playing in the league, and am definitely better for it. But, the matches are so long. Lots of people leave after their match, but I try to stay as long as possible as I feel it's a team event and I want to be there to support my teammates. I am there for 5 hours to play for 1 to 1.5 hours. On top of that most of my team is there more for the drinking than the pool. I get it for sure as it's a night out for them, but I use other nights as my party night.

Problem is, there is not much else in my area. There is a pool hall that has 9 ball tournaments on Saturday nights, but Saturdays are harder for me to commit to (I have 2 children) than a weeknight. Good thing is though that you can go when you want. Don't have to go every week.

I do have a couple of friends that I play with that are better than me, so I can continue to learn and be challenged playing them. But I am sure the more different people you play the more you learn.

I was even trying to get 3 other guys to commit to one night a week at my house for an 'in house' league night. Will have to see if that happens.

Pretty much every table we play on in league are crappy tables, stains, old felt, crappy rails, the whole 9 yards. Smokey fire halls. I am fortunate enough to have a really nice game room with a nice table.
I actually have a Diamond Pro Am on the way. In the middle of a match I often wonder why I am not at home playing. I can only imagine this feeling being even stronger when the Diamond is in my game room.

I love the game, I love to practice. Just wondering how many on this forum only play at home?
Also how many are not in any type of organized league or tournaments?

Thanks for listening\reading my babbling...

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Hello to all. I have been reading\learning a lot in these forums for the past 8 months or so. I am 46 years old, and about 1 year ago as a divorce present to myself bought a pool table. I LOVE the game! Always liked pool, but never was more than a weekend bar player.

In September I joined my local APA league. I am now halfway through my second session. I am seriously thinking that this may be my last session. I have learned a lot playing in the league, and am definitely better for it. But, the matches are so long. Lots of people leave after their match, but I try to stay as long as possible as I feel it's a team event and I want to be there to support my teammates. I am there for 5 hours to play for 1 to 1.5 hours. On top of that most of my team is there more for the drinking than the pool. I get it for sure as it's a night out for them, but I use other nights as my party night.

Problem is, there is not much else in my area. There is a pool hall that has 9 ball tournaments on Saturday nights, but Saturdays are harder for me to commit to (I have 2 children) than a weeknight. Good thing is though that you can go when you want. Don't have to go every week.

I do have a couple of friends that I play with that are better than me, so I can continue to learn and be challenged playing them. But I am sure the more different people you play the more you learn.

I was even trying to get 3 other guys to commit to one night a week at my house for an 'in house' league night. Will have to see if that happens.

Pretty much every table we play on in league are crappy tables, stains, old felt, crappy rails, the whole 9 yards. Smokey fire halls. I am fortunate enough to have a really nice game room with a nice table.
I actually have a Diamond Pro Am on the way. In the middle of a match I often wonder why I am not at home playing. I can only imagine this feeling being even stronger when the Diamond is in my game room.

I love the game, I love to practice. Just wondering how many on this forum only play at home?

Sounds to me like you have the right idea about things. I suggest a BCA League. Having played most of the others, I find they all are like what you described. Play singles tournaments and at your house! Everyone will want to come over when you get your Diamond! Plan a couple travel events a year, Derby, Super Expo or BCA show? Enjoy yourself! Just my $0.02

Trent from Toledo

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
League shmeague

Attachments

• 20180701_185415.jpg
    20180701_185415.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 766

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member

For the first 3 years of my playing, while in University, I'd play by myself after hours in a bowling alley. I'd also play against the old janitor at the alley after the place closed, late at night. I worked there part time. We'd not really compete, just shoot for fun and shoot the breeze. Then he got cancer and died within a couple of weeks, too fast to even say goodbye, they just rushed him to hospital, I got to visit him once and then he died. I really miss him, he was a funny guy with a million funny stories. He really couldn't shoot straight any more, even if his stroke was quite nice. I suspect he let me win, quite a lot.

After that I began playing at a real pool hall. I got quite a shock when I watched my first national championship, watching my country's greatest player of all time run the balls so perfectly that it looked like a walk in the park. I never really knew the level of play that existed just outside my doorstep, I thought all the good players were American. I've probably played more by myself in mostly empty pool halls than most people do in a lifetime of play.

For a long while I didn't really feel like competing after some bad experiences. I played two tournaments and ran into the two biggest jerks in my country (not just me saying that and later run-ins with them has confirmed that impression), really bad luck. After about 7-8 years of solitary practis and playing a select group of friends, I finally started competing again, and I really became a much better player because of it.

Playing by yourself or with a few friends is great, and may be all you neeed, but for me, the challenge of meeting someone unknown and beating them or being beaten, is a great thrill. I'm still mostly motivated by improving my own level of play, but there is something to be said for battle-testing your knowledge...

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have become a home-only player.

My table is better than those in the rooms nearby. My balls are better than the ones in the poolrooms. The music is perfect and the beers are too.

Plus, there is only one asshole in the poolroom in my basement.:embarrassed2:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member

My table is better than those in the rooms nearby. My balls are better than the ones in the poolrooms. The music is perfect and the beers are too.

X2
This statement could have come directly from me

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi and welcome aboard, Hopefully your divorce is a new beginning. Mine was. Life is great. I have a home table and no one to play. I practice a lot, took Stroke lessons at home. Currently learning OnePocket.
I'd enjoy having few dedicated players near me but trying to get a steady game is tough, Interesting that being a member here led to a few friendships and we play when we can. I also go to local room and found guys that play for sport not for cash. Have fun. You'll find good stuff here. It'll lead to good things.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Hey you stole my post.

nj82tj

The dude abides.
Silver Member
90-95% of the time I play on my own table in my basement. I do sometimes wish I could get a travel "basement" league going though. Just to mix it up a little. I unfortunately don't know anyone in my area that has a table of their own.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I'll play at a bar or hall if I'm there for some other reason with friends, but disappointment with the equipment at public places was my motivation for a home room. I've never been in a league...or even considered it.

Attachments

• 20180510_203908.jpg
    20180510_203908.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 716

Poodle of Doom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the first 3 years of my playing, while in University, I'd play by myself after hours in a bowling alley. I'd also play against the old janitor at the alley after the place closed, late at night. I worked there part time. We'd not really compete, just shoot for fun and shoot the breeze. Then he got cancer and died within a couple of weeks, too fast to even say goodbye, they just rushed him to hospital, I got to visit him once and then he died. I really miss him, he was a funny guy with a million funny stories. He really couldn't shoot straight any more, even if his stroke was quite nice. I suspect he let me win, quite a lot.

After that I began playing at a real pool hall. I got quite a shock when I watched my first national championship, watching my country's greatest player of all time run the balls so perfectly that it looked like a walk in the park. I never really knew the level of play that existed just outside my doorstep, I thought all the good players were American. I've probably played more by myself in mostly empty pool halls than most people do in a lifetime of play.

For a long while I didn't really feel like competing after some bad experiences. I played two tournaments and ran into the two biggest jerks in my country (not just me saying that and later run-ins with them has confirmed that impression), really bad luck. After about 7-8 years of solitary practis and playing a select group of friends, I finally started competing again, and I really became a much better player because of it.

Playing by yourself or with a few friends is great, and may be all you neeed, but for me, the challenge of meeting someone unknown and beating them or being beaten, is a great thrill. I'm still mostly motivated by improving my own level of play, but there is something to be said for battle-testing your knowledge...

Wow. I like that story, about the janitor. Tugs at the heart strings there. Weird thing is, I think all of us have someone like that we play against.

I started playing in leagues about six months ago. Just took part in my first state tournament about a month and a half ago. Didn't do well, but it was a learning experience. I don't necessarily win the local tournaments, but I do alright in them. A couple guys I compete against there took top honors in the state tourney.

Only one? Time to make some friends. :)

I started out as a bar player mainly. Use to play a lot in my basement. Then started at the bar. Would walk all over most people. No one could understand why I kept winning all the time. That is, until they found out I had a table at home. I was getting four and five nights a week, of four to six hours of practice a night before getting there on Saturday.

For the next few years, I competed there, and played at home. Just started competing in local tournaments. You can see how that turned out for me above. I don't mind playing at home. I like doing it by myself for practice. But, there is a huge difference between competing against someone, and playing alone. There's more incentive to do better. And it's hard to cut ones teeth on nothing.

Like trentfromtoledo said, try a BCA league. They're all kind of the same, like he said. But I looked into each before I bothered picking a regular spot. The BCA and BCA/PL rules are a little better in terms of structure. I also recommend just trying a basement tourney.

o.g. (old guy)

mark
Silver Member
I completely understand your dilemma, I live in a very remote area, the closest pool hall is 3 hrs away. I grew up in a pool hall and really miss the atmosphere and tournament play. There aren't any leagues in my area and I doubt I would play in one anyway (too much drama).

I have a gold crown at home and have a couple of buddies that have tables, we go to each other's houses and play. Only problem is lack of compitition. One friend has improved quite a bit and can sometimes give me a pretty good game.

I believe if you really want to improve you should frequent your local pool room. Not only can you play different and better players but you can help support the business (be thankful you have a room in your area, so many are closing down). Perhaps you could talk to the owner and see if he would hold a weekly tournament on a weeknight.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll play at a bar or hall if I'm there for some other reason with friends, but disappointment with the equipment at public places was my motivation for a home room. I've never been in a league...or even considered it.
If you're trying to make us feel jealous by showing off your mancave and table, you've succeeded!

Linwood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I get you entirely, though I have not even managed to find a pool room to play in. Around here they are all terribly smoky. Some have really nice facilities, and I have nothing against drinking, but I just cannot tolerate smoke. But down here in retirement central I guess it doesn't pay to go smoke free.

So I play at home, invite friends over, and actually wish I could find a place to play against better players and learn more.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
4 x 8 Olhausen Remington. I've played at home mostly for the past 16 years or so, I guess. I got sick of bar table 9 ball, rules, tables, players. I mostly practice Straight Pool and if I get real ambitious, One Pocket. I've had a few friends at the house at different times but no one steady, unfortunately. Have an old friend from NY who is about 30 minutes away from me here in SC but haven't been able to get him over here yet. I've been contemplating getting back out there again but I'll be 69 tomorrow and I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

Attachments

• IMG_0244.jpg
    IMG_0244.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_0655.jpg
    IMG_0655.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 333
Last edited:

GodinSession

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow! Thanks for all the great responses.
As for the BCA responses, the only league in my area is an hour drive away.
Thanks for confirming that I am not alone in my experience.
I do have one pool hall about 30 minutes from me that hosts the Saturday night tournaments. Based on advice in this thread I will check it out and get involved in the tournaments. Perhaps I will make some more pool buddies through their.
For those that posted pics of their pool rooms, I
love them. I will post a pic in a couple weeks when my pro am comes.
An at home basement travel league is 100 percent what I would love to start. Just wish I knew a few others that had a table and loved the game as much as I do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GodinSession

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
4 x 8 Olhausen Remington. I've played at home mostly for the past 16 years or so, I guess. I got sick of bar table 9 ball, rules, tables, players. I mostly practice Straight Pool and if I get real ambitious, One Pocket. I've had a few friends at the house at different times but no one steady, unfortunately. Have an old friend from NY who is about 30 minutes away from me here in SC but haven't been able to get him over here yet. I've been contemplating getting back out there again but I'll be 69 tomorrow and I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

Happy Birthday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk