Any ideas on this wood

Guerra Cues

I build one cue at a time
Silver Member
Hey folks,
I got this crazy wood from a supplier here in my area and he has some other crazy burl slabs. This wood almost looks like gator print in the wood. I am waiting for him to cut me a piece for the butt.
What do you think it is?

us030.jpg

us031.jpg

us032.jpg

howiesatwork

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like bubinga to me. I have a 1.75 x 67" piece that looks close to those. Whatever it is, it looks nice. Marry it to some quilted maple...

Guerra Cues

I build one cue at a time
Silver Member
Looks like bubinga to me. I have a 1.75 x 67" piece that looks close to those. Whatever it is, it looks nice. Marry it to some quilted maple...

Quilted maple will look nice for sure. I have bubinga here and it does not look a whole lot like it. Whatever it is, it is cool looking. I know it came from Laos.

Dosed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like Makamong (Afzelia) Swirl to me.

Martin

looks like afzeila (hope i spelled it right)
I thought that too.
Quilted maple will look nice for sure. I have bubinga here and it does not look a whole lot like it. Whatever it is, it is cool looking. I know it came from Laos.
If you research bubinga, you will find it has many different figures. This, if bubinga, is highly figured. I think it may also be bubinga.
this could be pinkado
I couldnt find any high figured pics of pyinkado. Don't believe it to be that.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
If you send me 2 pieces, I'll analyze them and send one back.:grin::grin::wink:
I don't think bubinga as it tends to be a red/pinkish or red/brown from the pieces I have. Unless the color is off on the camera. Either way it's some nice figure.
Dave
bubinga_platter_1.jpg

Graciocues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it's heavier then Maple I'd vote again for Bubinga. Take some pictures of the side showing the grain layers.

Craig Fales

Registered bubinga user
Silver Member
I thought that too.

If you research bubinga, you will find it has many different figures. This, if bubinga, is highly figured. I think it may also be bubinga.
Have you seen 5A pomelle bubinga? That has figuring similar to this except it's way more figured. Here's a nice piece.
I couldnt find any high figured pics of pyinkado. Don't believe it to be that.

Attachments

• bubinga-pomelle_figure.jpg
    bubinga-pomelle_figure.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 166