Any interest: Fossil Walrus tusks and teeth

Graciocues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any interest in Walrus tusk? I have some Fossil with great color patterns and some white that looks like Ivory.

I cut a few ferrules to show the color.

Attachments

• z4 153.jpg
    z4 153.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 758
  • z4 154.jpg
    z4 154.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 652
  • z4 155.jpg
    z4 155.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 679
  • z4 156.jpg
    z4 156.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 604
Last edited:

Graciocues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I picked these up to play with. The guy has 50 -60 pounds of Fossil Walrus and white Tusk and after playing with it I'm picking up more tomorrow. If anybody wants any let me know tonight or in the morning.

Attachments

• z4 158.jpg
    z4 158.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 570
  • z4 157.jpg
    z4 157.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 567

SK Custom Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That looks very cool. How does it machine? Just like ivory I would assume. Can you give a price per ferrule? I am interested.

Destrukkt

9 ball/8 ball New Player
Silver Member
Is it legal to sell ivory?

from what I understood from my 13 years of living in Alaska that only eskimo's and such could legally sell these materials.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Is it legal to sell ivory?

from what I understood from my 13 years of living in Alaska that only eskimo's and such could legally sell these materials.

If it's brown then you are ok. If it is white, then you'd better be able to prove without doubt that it's fossilized or else jail & HUGE fines are looking your way. My wife is eskimo & i'm still afraid to use anything thats not brown. She can do it & it's completely allowed. But it still makes me nervous enough to not do it. I'm not saying whether anybody should or shouldn't use it. It's good stuff. But you are correct in that it's a touchy legal issue. Fed law, too, not state.

Graciocues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It machines like Elephant Ivory. I hit a couple pieces with a hammer and did the same with some Ivory. They feel exactly the same.

The reason I posted is to find out if people are interested. If there is enough interest I'll buy everything the guy has.
I have no interest in selling cue parts. There isn't enough time in the day to keep up on cue orders so I'd rather sell these rough. I could turn a few to sell but anybody with a lathe can turn them round.

I'll know how much tomorrow after he gives me a price and how many I buy. I'll sell them for exactly what it costs me and shipping. I don't want to start selling cue parts.

The short (1" long x 13.75mm) ones I turned round in the pictures I'll sell for $15 each.

The long dark one is 1.5" and I think two ferrules can be made out of it. $20. sounds fair.

Graciocues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it's brown then you are ok. If it is white, then you'd better be able to prove without doubt that it's fossilized or else jail & HUGE fines are looking your way. My wife is eskimo & i'm still afraid to use anything thats not brown. She can do it & it's completely allowed. But it still makes me nervous enough to not do it. I'm not saying whether anybody should or shouldn't use it. It's good stuff. But you are correct in that it's a touchy legal issue. Fed law, too, not state.

I don't want to break any laws. If you want the white I'll direct you to the guy I found them from. I'm not doing this to make money so you can deal with him directly. He's from Alaska and just moved here.

Last edited:

SK Custom Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I will check into the law and get back with you. I think this is a rare find though. I really do want some of this stuff, but I don't want anyone to get in trouble.

Graciocues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I called John and it is legal Fossil Walrus Ivory. His joke to me was "Do you think I'd sell it at a public Flea market and gun show if I could get in trouble? Do you know how many cops are here?".

I'm not selling it in finished ferrules to make sure nobody questions the Ivory. If you want some they will look like small petrified dog terds. He has boxes and boxes of them. If want some of the prettiest puppy poop you've ever seen let me know. The white tusks look at least 100 years old. Some of the tusks are black on the outside and white in the middle where he cut them. I will get it to you for exactly what it costs me. He has no interest in the intranet.
I said this once before. I'm sharing my find and have no interest in making profit. I like John and will help him get rid of the pretty puppy poop. If you want some let me know.
We talked for 2 hours and he's a great guy. He lives 5 miles from me and has a CNC lathe, 2CNC mils, and 40 years of machine tools he hardly uses. I saw more lathe equipment at this flea market then at the local tool store. I have a feeling we'll become good friends.

dave sutton

Banned
scott i will take 2 ferrules price pending. ive heard great things about walrus but cant find it easily. pick me 2 clean please.... pm me a price i can paypal asap

Graciocues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No need for me to play middle man.

I had a chance to talk with John today and he will turn ferrules for anybody wanting them. I mentioned regular Ivory prices and he sounded happy to sell them for those numbers. I talked him into joining AZ so you guys can get some beautiful Ivory for yourself. He'll be here soon.