Any kind of sealer are to be avoided?

nfuids

eh?
Silver Member
I'm looking at buying a wood sealer for my shaft maintenance. I was wondering if any kind of sealer are better than other. I'm not necessary talking about brand, but about general categories of sealer?

I'm completely newbie when it comes to sealers. I did some research, but since around here most specific brands mentioned on here are not readily available. I'd like to buy some today and was wondering if I could go to almost any shop that sells wood sealer and get any or if that's a real bad idea?

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I wood avoid using this stuff. (note the little play on words?)
It's easy to apply, but damn hard to get off, and just doesn't feel right in the bridge hand.
Better to get hold of Chris Hightower (Cueman Cues). He sells a shaft sealer that is the cat's pajamas. He also has a very good shaft cleaner available. Just Google Cueman.
And, tell him Tramp sent you. :smile:

Attachments

• Z1oErupcpEx_.JPG
    Z1oErupcpEx_.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 449

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gerlitz #1 Carnauba Guitar Wax. It is number 1 grade pure Brazilian Carnauba. It is best done using a lathe... Johnny Rosato,B'ham,Al

caff3in3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im confused. Should i seal first and then wax?
For mine I clean with rubbing alcohol (at least 90 percent stuff) sand with very fine 2000 grit sandpaper, burnish with leather, then seal with wax. Smooth and stays that way.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
WAX IS NOT A SEALER.........

just saying.....wax....is 100% not a impermeable barrier,

not a selaer....cant repeat that enough....metaphysically......physicallly, bla bla bla....

and if one insists that it is.....its a piss poor version of one.

spray can paint is a better "sealer" than wax........im not saying use spray can paint....i'm making a dumb arse analogy to prove a point

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
For mine I clean with rubbing alcohol (at least 90 percent stuff) sand with very fine 2000 grit sandpaper, burnish with leather, then seal with wax. Smooth and stays that way.

and just one question in regard to my statement you yours....."smooth and stays that way"

how long has "it" stayed tht way on say a particular every day shaft....without re application, and just normal proper everyday day you play, wash hands and clean shaft?

because i've had cues that i havve purchased and built......that still got O.G. seal from 8, 10 and 20 years that hasn't ever bee broken.....im guessing your about to rethink what "seal" means

lock it up.....throws away key......

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Im confused. Should i seal first and then wax?

if your going to use a wax....and i dont care if its ear wax

seal the cue.....then use whatever wax you feel like trying, dont care if its the wax that pot heads smoke.......shafts sealed, that wax can be removed and shaft cleaned without breaking the SEAL

SEAL and I aint talkin about mammals,
greyghost

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Be sure to use denatured alcohol, not regular rubbing alcohol....there is a difference.

caff3in3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Be sure to use denatured alcohol, not regular rubbing alcohol....there is a difference.
Curious about the difference and benefit of denatured vs rubbing alcohol. Predator just recommends rubbing alcohol on their site. I'll have to take a look at the bottle I have

nfuids

eh?
Silver Member
if your going to use a wax....and i dont care if its ear wax

seal the cue.....then use whatever wax you feel like trying, dont care if its the wax that pot heads smoke.......shafts sealed, that wax can be removed and shaft cleaned without breaking the SEAL

SEAL and I aint talkin about mammals,
greyghost

I got lighter fuel and rubbing alcohol (which I'm no longer sure it's right!).. anyways.. when sealing and applying wax, what step remove the wax and not the sealer?

In other word, what's best to remove the wax to re-apply new wax? and what's good to remove wax + seal to start over?

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I got lighter fuel and rubbing alcohol (which I'm no longer sure it's right!).. anyways.. when sealing and applying wax, what step remove the wax and not the sealer?

In other word, what's best to remove the wax to re-apply new wax? and what's good to remove wax + seal to start over?

Why don't you take your shaft to your friendly neighborhood cue repair person and have them do it for you? The cost will be minimal. They will clean, seal, and wax (if wax is what you want), and do it on a lathe like it's supposed to be done. :)

nfuids

eh?
Silver Member
Can't go wrong with sealer from Cueman or Atlas

Trying to figure out the size of the bottle I'm ordering.. once opened, how long can I keep it? I mean if I can keep it for just a couple months, no point in buying a large quantity as I don't do enough shaft maintenance for this!

Thanks

nfuids

eh?
Silver Member
Why don't you take your shaft to your friendly neighborhood cue repair person and have them do it for you? The cost will be minimal. They will clean, seal, and wax (if wax is what you want), and do it on a lathe like it's supposed to be done. :)

Because I got a lathe and I want to learn this stuff :)

What esle that wax could I finish my shaft with?

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Trying to figure out the size of the bottle I'm ordering.. once opened, how long can I keep it? I mean if I can keep it for just a couple months, no point in buying a large quantity as I don't do enough shaft maintenance for this!

Thanks

I have a small bottle. Might be 8oz. or a little more. It does not go bad if stored properly. Mine is about 3 years old.
The issue is the shipping costs. Order other stuff with it. Just suggesting

Last edited: