Any player still use Schon cues?

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The older Schons from Bob and Evan's tenure almost always hit great. Some are incredible. There's almost a mystical intangible about the older ones that still holds true today. If you know, you know.

I still happily go back to them, even after diving into various customs since getting back into the game. In fact, I should add another, LOL.

In my opinion, and I hope to eat these words, I believe Schons best days are long gone. If I were just starting out today and seeking a good starting point with a new, contemporary cue, I'd look to Mezz.
My favorite era of Schon cue production is the early EC era. I truly believe that the 90s era of Schon cues was the best, far surpassing the Runde era (which many would say is blasphemy....but that is my opinion). I think the overall quality, taper, and playability was at its peak during that period of time - which one might call the Johnny Archer era of Schon cues.

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
They look like old granpa cues. Would fit great in a hunting cabin I suppose…? Even conservative Mezz look like space age comparatively. Besides, it pronounces Kööön, which is swedish for gender. Ridiculous.
Schon is German, not Swedish. It means beautiful and is pronounced "schoon" in German. We pronounce it "sean" here in America.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't sell Schon short.

Attachments

• IMG_110722_113907.jpg
    IMG_110722_113907.jpg
    452.8 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_110722_113838.jpg
    IMG_110722_113838.jpg
    444.8 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_110722_113801.jpg
    IMG_110722_113801.jpg
    431.2 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_110722_113723.jpg
    IMG_110722_113723.jpg
    412.2 KB · Views: 154

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
…& tell me native speaker, how do you pronounce it? & how does it differ from ”schoen”?
It's close, but not completely the same. I guess, depending on the speaker it could be the same, but for most the tone would be somewhat different. It has nothing to do with the Schön cues in any way, shape or form anyway. Especially, since people in the know state that the people in charge don't use the German pronounciation. The whole schön/kön homonym case is therefore not even relevant to the cues.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who really gives a rodent's behind how you pronounce it, do any top players use them?? I think that was the OP's quest. For what its worth i've only heard it pronounced 'SHAWN', no shone/shoon or what-the-fk-ever.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Who really gives a rodent's behind how you pronounce it, do any top players use them?? I think that was the OP's quest. For what its worth i've only heard it pronounced 'SHAWN', no shone/shoon or what-the-fk-ever.
Hardly ever heard of anyone besides Johnny Archer in the 90's and SVB at the beginning of his career. I seem to remember hearing that Keith McCready having one at one time on this forum. I'm sure tons of pros have owned one at one time or another.

Checklist for people dying to know what pros are using:
1. Check sponsors webpage to see what a pro is using.
2. If the pro is not sponsored, don't look only at the cue butt in his hands, but also the shaft. I've seen lots of people playing with Schön, Joss, McDermott etc butts with Predator or other shafts on them. 90% of the playability is in the shaft/ferrule/tip.
3. Try to find out what the cue is like. Maybe you don't want to copy a pro, because his preferences might be different to yours. Schön cues are stiff, hard hitting, normal/high deflection cues, though they do make an ld shaft that I've never tried. They typically have steel joint which gives a certain balance/weight distribution that you may like or dislike. If you insist on copying a specific pro, don't just look at brand even if he uses a manufacturers own shaft. What diameter is the shaft? Is the ferrule original? Has he added a fiber pad between ferrule and tip? What brand of tip is it? Has the shaft been retapered? Balance point/weight of the cue? Has weight been added later to change balance/weight etc. These are all questions that become relevant, once you decided that a certain pro holds the key to the mysteries of pool equipment, because the cue in his or her hands may not be remotely the same to the one you can buy off the shelf. Some cue makers make custom cues for their sponsored pros, presumably with better materials and different specs.