Any player still use Schon cues?

MoonshineMattK

Silver Member
A long defence speech for a cue no one even glanses at under 75yrs old. I think they fit perfectly for a man entering a pool hall by the ocean on a steam boat, or riding up to one on a horse with a cowboy hat & a giant beltbuckle & cowboy boots. Zeb Macahan had 2 shööns in his wigwam.

(That said I think most of the designs posted here were pretty nice, compared to current lineup.)
Did you post somewhere what cuemakers you concider to have good designs?

CLAUD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maple, Ebony, Ivory & Tulip from 1996. One of seven. Ugly? I don't think so!
schon1A.jpg
schon2A.jpg

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When first started playin, Schon cues were the pinnacle cues to own. Just curious if any youngster play with Schon, or are they becoming obsolet?

Eddie
Anyone able to play three+ hours straight with no breaks should be considered a youngster regardless of their age. Age is just a number.

As for Schon cues being behind times.... IMO, they are a little behind times in cue design, but of course are WAY behind in the almighty LD shaft market.

If they would produce a competitive LD wooden shaft comparable to predators Z, 314 and Vantage shafts, they would gain a lot of lost ground in sales.

For that very reason I'm a big Pechauer fan. Pechauer puts out an wooden LD shaft that is not to far behind the competition. Couple that with the fact that Pechauer cues are of higher quality (in general) and the choice is easy.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They tend to stick with more traditional designs.
You wouldn't want them to go the route of Vikings would you?
IMO, they shouldn't change there design. Then again if cash is king..... well, they should change to modern styles.

I know your not a big LD shaft person, but today the majority of the younger players are. For that very reason I wish Schon would produce two or three options of LD shafts.

If they did that their bottom line would look much different and that would free them up to be more involved in today's pool scene..... maybe even sponsor a few players.

If I'm not mistaken Shane Van Boening's very first cue was a Schon. That was way back when he used a 58" cue. IMO, he played better pool back then.

🤔 ..... how could SVB be any better? That would be scary.

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Anyone able to play three+ hours straight with no breaks should be considered a youngster regardless of their age. Age is just a number.

As for Schon cues being behind times.... IMO, they are a little behind times in cue design, but of course are WAY behind in the almighty LD shaft market.

If they would produce a competitive LD wooden shaft comparable to predators Z, 314 and Vantage shafts, they would gain a lot of lost ground in sales.

For that very reason I'm a big Pechauer fan. Pechauer puts out an wooden LD shaft that is not to far behind the competition. Couple that with the fact that Pechauer cues are of higher quality (in general) and the choice is easy.
For those that are interested, Bob Runde is currently making Kielwood shafts for Schons. He's only making about 10 a month. He can match any Schon joint style, any taper and diameter. I should be getting mine pretty soon. Contact is made via Tristan Rouse on FB.

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i still get one out occasionally to hit a ball or two. Even though I love the hit and feel of the old yellow Micarta I usually use a Jacoby Hybrid shaft. They are all as solid as the day they were built even though they are pushing 40.

Attachments

• 724F10C6-4C15-41E1-9CB0-DC46737A997A.jpeg
    724F10C6-4C15-41E1-9CB0-DC46737A997A.jpeg
    222.1 KB · Views: 94
  • 81575935-17A5-4AE9-B6DA-F7D908F61C3F.jpeg
    81575935-17A5-4AE9-B6DA-F7D908F61C3F.jpeg
    221.3 KB · Views: 88

71dewajack

i still get one out occasionally to hit a ball or two. Even though I love the hit and feel of the old yellow Micarta I usually use a Jacoby Hybrid shaft. They are all as solid as the day they were built even though they are pushing 40.
I love this photo. Unique veneers on the R6, and my favorite color scheme on the R12.