Any player still use Schon cues?

Darkside7

When first started playin, Schon cues were the pinnacle cues to own. Just curious if any youngster play with Schon, or are they becoming obsolet?

Eddie

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
When first started playin, Schon cues were the pinnacle cues to own. Just curious if any youngster play with Schon, or are they becoming obsolet?

Eddie
They're not obsolete, but... Tough competition arrived many years ago. Both in quality and marketing. Schön's designs have been stagnant at best over the last 10 years. I'm sure they still make good cues but they need to step up their game.

By youngsters I assume you mean anyone under 30 😉.

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Someone’s buying them. As they are still in business. There’s only two options now:

-they are doing fine and haven’t seen any decrease in sales or other things to indicate they need to “catch up” to everyone else

-they are making a poor business decision by not keeping up and will either go out of business or be forced to release something new

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
I shot with a Schon that I won in a raffle in the early 90's and continued to play with it until I bought an new Schon STL9 (with real white stuffs) in 2007, then continued with this cue (added a predator vantage shaft in 2018) until about two years ago.
Then (late 2019) I replaced the Schon with a nice looking $450 Joss JOS173 because the damn metal rings at the top of the Schon's wrap "popped" thru the finish and annoyed me.
This current Joss/Vantage combo with a Triangle tip hits nice and stiff (like rebar lol) allowing me to move the cueball around the 9's with ease, just the way I like it. As the Asians would say about their Southwests', "A powerful cue".
Anyways though, other than the "ring-pop" issue, the Schons hit nice. Might get a Schon with no rings one day, but for now the Joss is great!
I agree, Schon is behind on the times though. Their STL designs haven't changed for 20+ years, and good luck finding a useable butt extension for them. They do hold their value though.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I shot with a Schon that I won in a raffle in the early 90's and continued to play with it until I bought an new Schon STL9 (with real white stuffs) in 2007, then continued with this cue (added a predator vantage shaft in 2018) until about two years ago.
Then (late 2019) I replaced the Schon with a nice looking $450 Joss JOS173 because the damn metal rings at the top of the Schon's wrap "popped" thru the finish and annoyed me.
This current Joss/Vantage combo with a Triangle tip hits nice and stiff (like rebar lol) allowing me to move the cueball around the 9's with ease, just the way I like it. As the Asians would say about their Southwests', "A powerful cue".
Anyways though, other than the "ring-pop" issue, the Schons hit nice. Might get a Schon with no rings one day, but for now the Joss is great!
I agree, Schon is behind on the times though. Their STL designs haven't changed for 20+ years, and good luck finding a useable butt extension for them. They do hold their value though.
Rick Roper on FB makes a real nice extension for them.

TheCutShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since Evan Clark retired Schon does seem to have stagnated, he seems to have been the driving force behind Schon during their period of popularity. I have 4 Schons, I bought my first one in 1980 what is now called an STL 7, also have an original BW1 that was my everyday player until I got my Predator SP8RJ, there's something about the Predators Full Splice build that to me just seems to have a better more solid hit and feel to it than any other Cue I've ever played with!

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They must be doing ok, as they were desperately looking for another worker awhile back. Even said they would accept part time help from a retiree. I've stopped by their shop many times and was always a pleasurable experience. If I lived close, I would have applied in a heartbeat, but then again, I would never live close to that area. I agree some of their designs are lacking, but I have purchased three of their cues in the last 4 years, a limited linen wrap, and 2 SP's, one leather wrap and one no wrap, and they are fantastic. I am actively looking for another no wrap that I like, but the good designs sell instantly.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They must be doing ok, as they were desperately looking for another worker awhile back. Even said they would accept part time help from a retiree. I've stopped by their shop many times and was always a pleasurable experience. If I lived close, I would have applied in a heartbeat, but then again, I would never live close to that area. I agree some of their designs are lacking, but I have purchased three of their cues in the last 4 years, a limited linen wrap, and 2 SP's, one leather wrap and one no wrap, and they are fantastic. I am actively looking for another no wrap that I like, but the good designs sell instantly.
I had a newer wrapless SP recently and you could plainly feel the bushka rings. Cue hit ok but was too heavy for me so i sold it.

Darkside7

I’m starting to think it might be time to retire my Schon for a different brand. Maybe Mezz. It’s so hard to find a Mezz cue to try.

RefrainReyes

They look like old granpa cues. Would fit great in a hunting cabin I suppose…? Even conservative Mezz look like space age comparatively. Besides, it pronounces Kööön, which is swedish for gender. Ridiculous.

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I love my Schons. I have an STL9 with a leather wrap and a 40 year old R6 with 2 original shafts. My main player is an STL 15 with rare green veneers instead of red. I currently have Bob Runde making me a kielwood shaft which should be coming real soon.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Schon is not a cheap Cue, most of the local in my are play with Special Made in China.

I say most is like 60-70%, many think paying for good layered or non layered tip over $5.00 is a disaster.

Trying to educate is not happening. So I just smile.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Predator took over the whole market since the mid 90's. I've almost never seen a young player coming up choose anything other than Predator since then.

cbi1000

It is what it is...
Silver Member
Back in the day I loved their cues. But their designs haven't changed in forever.

DaveM

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have a few Schons. While I'm not playing with any as a main cue, one is in my case as a backup and another I'll probably never sell.
They haven't changed designs much but I still think they're good cues.

JustPlay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Johnny Archer back in the late 80's and into the early 90's played with a Schon. Shane Van Boening also played with a Schon cue as well. I could be incorrect but Schon missed out or was too cheap to sponsor either of these players. I'm thinking it would have been good business to do so.