anybody know anything about this cue

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jim was great. I spent many an hour listing to him, trying every cue in the shop. He would talk for hours. He definitely started me in the habit that I have been trying to kick, cues. I had one cue for 14 years, meet Jim then went through 30 or so in just a few short years. He had stories for days, dish out dirt on makers, all the good stuff. His blackbook of phone numbers was filled with all the greats. I recall him telling me that a new maker, Ariel Carmelli IIRC, contacted him to sell cues. He was appalled at the idea that a new maker could ask so much for his cues, because he had no real history. I think they where in the $6-800 range. He loved Bob Runde, probably why I have one too. He taught me, and probably most that entered his shop, more than we bargained for. I think he said one of his greatest sales was to a homeless guy. He lived in a box, but loved pool and bought a Meucci from Jim in the 80's or 90's. He would tell stories about $1,000 dollar fooseball games and Japanese collectors visiting him for cues. He loved the diversity in people and always wanted 32 flavors verses chocolate and vanilla. How else will you know what you like if you don't try it was something he was big on, hence 30 or so different cue makers cues under one roof.

Bdawe

I have a b/b cue stamped 94/95 by elan. The shaper of these limited cues was Stephen lanes. He still works for joss today. The name elan is not a person. It's the name of the series of cues. I believe there were 4 sets of 20 and each set had a name. Mine is from the elan series. Marked#8. These cues retailed for between 450.00 and 500.00. I'm sure the value has gone way up from 30 years ago.

Bdawe

Jim Oswald passed away a few months ago. Those that knew him know that he did more in the world of custom cues than just about anyone. The 'Elan' was one of his, along with many others with just about every cue maker you could name. He once told me that Southwest offered him a deal to buy EVERY cue they made when they were starting out. I bought one wholesale from him for 149.00 in the beginning. His place was a 'dump'-he would readily admit that-and a dump out of which he sold millions (literally, $400,000+ per year that I remember) of dollars worth of the finest custom cues made to that time. Many in this business owe a debt, some literally, to Jim for all he did for them-including me.

Bdawe

I got it on flee bay just to check it out. I was wondering if anybody know who B.B. Elan is? his or her name is on the butt and seller says he was a pro and this was his regular cue. Dont know about that but it hits different than anyother joss ive ever had. It has a Black Joint insted of stainless.Here are some pics. Oh ya it for sale
I have one. The b/b means billiards and bagels which is closed and was located in Oregon. Elan was the series of the cue ...not a person. The shaper of these cues was Stephen lanes. He still works for joss today. These cues were only made in 94/95. There were 4 sets of 20 I believe and each set had a name such as elan. Mine is number#8. They retailed between 450 and 400 dollars back then. I would place the value on one now in excellent condition around 800.00