Anyone else think Bustamante got jipped for his Win at this year's World 9 Ball?

BigAL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just Curious, If I'm not mistaken, I read that first place at this recent world 9 ball event was only $36,000 compared to the last two world 9 ball events with $100,000 going to the eventual winner, not to mention the nice big trophy they get to hoist over their head. Bustamante just received a medal and a check.

Granted, I'm happy the WPC is back again for us to enjoy some world class 9 ball, but Django with his long over due world champmpionship win, should've received the royal treatment the past champions have received and be able to carry the big trophy over his head like all the other great champions in the past have and of course cash in the 100k :thumbup:

Joe Pickens

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That would have been nice, but if they don't have the money to pay the same amount as the past winners received I don't really see your point.

I don't think this takes away anything from Bustamante's accomplishment.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If somebody could show me that the promoters made a ton of money and only paid $36,000 dollars for first place then I would agree, but I suspect economic reality simply doesn't support anything better than that.

I'm glad they had the tournament and he won.

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
I'd say he didn't get jipped unless they promised more than was posted?? IF that did not happen, he got what was promised.. JMHO

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
Just Curious, If I'm not mistaken, I read that first place at this recent world 9 ball event was only $36,000 compared to the last two world 9 ball events with $100,000 going to the eventual winner, not to mention the nice big trophy they get to hoist over their head. Bustamante just received a medal and a check.

Granted, I'm happy the WPC is back again for us to enjoy some world class 9 ball, but Django with his long over due world champmpionship win, should've received the royal treatment the past champions have received and be able to carry the big trophy over his head like all the other great champions in the past have and of course cash in the 100k :thumbup:

Welcome to the forum! Hey, are you Big Al from Greensboro that is good friends with Earl?

The Schwartz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't mean to be the grammar police, but I think the word is gypped. Like a Gypsy that ripped you off. As for the topic, I don't know... :thumbup:

Piercyexclusive

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd say he didn't get jipped unless they promised more than was posted?? IF that did not happen, he got what was promised.. JMHO

I agree with this person if the promised was kept then that's what he gets cause if he didn't like it then he shouldn't have entered 36,000 in the philippines still a big deal there...... and that is where he lives

HeLLFiSH

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Didnt they just rebrand or rename the 'Qatar International Open 9-Ball Championship' as the 'World Pool Championship'?

When you think about it, the first year that the Qatar Championship was held (2008) was also the first year without a World 9 Ball Championship (until the rebranding in 2010), so with the rebranding of the title, shouldnt previous winners of the Qatar Open (2009 - Mika Immonen, 2008 - Dennis Orcullo), be declared "World 9 Ball Champions" for that respective year?