Anyone ever have a bad Schön cue?

SWN99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just wondering if anyone ever had a Schon that they weren't pleased with the quality or workmanship.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
Nobody is Perfect, but Schon has to be close!!

Just wondering if anyone ever had a Schon that they weren't pleased with the quality or workmanship.

I'm sure based purely on the number of cues Schon has produced over the years someone will come out with some kind of horror story, but you sure don't hear many complaints about cues built by Schon. In addition if anyone has ever had a issue with workmanship or quality it would be addressed by Evan and John personally.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have never heard any negative feedback on Schon cues made under Bob & Terry or Evan for that matter.
Someone might not care for the hit but that's an entirely different matter than what you asked about.....IMO.

Matt B.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any shop that produces that many cues for that many years is going to have a small something go wrong here or there probably. Overall though, their quality is consistently good and I enjoy my Schon.

To directly answer your question, yes, I received one with an issue once. It was straight from Schon and when they pressed the linen wrap they caught the edge of the butt sleeve, marring the finish. It also failed to fully press the wrap and within the first hour at the table the wrap starting coming lose and moving. Cue was quickly replaced by Schon, with help from Shooter08.

I've had a couple of Schons since without any issues, and am currently playing one. I belive that was the rare enomoly that slipped through.

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never

I have owned a bunch both new era and old era and have never had a complaint about workmanship. Most were put together as good and solid as any of the customs I have owned over the years as well. Some played better than others but that is purely a preference thing and I believe had nothing to do with workmanship IMHO.

I would say the only thing I did not like on some of the older ones was how some of the stitch rings do not line up in various parts of various cues. This is purely a visual thing as all of them were still rock solid and played great.

worktheknight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've sold many Schon Cues over the years and one 30 year old cue didn't like Hawaii as the change in climate altered the cue, I refunded the person, watched the cue for a year !! once it was returned and sold it dead arrow straight to a very happy person in my area who continues to shoot with it.

The only other complaint from a customer who said the cue had " issues " and I paid to have him send it back to Schon direct and once they received the cue,
I would refund his money, which took place and John and Evan checked it out and sent it back to me. Think the buyer should have checked with the wife before buying it. Nothing wrong with the cue and later found out that it just didn't hit like his uncles mid 80's Cue from Bob Runde ???
As others have posted above, if there is a issue, Schon takes care of the situation when it's in there lap. Very excellent company.

justaguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i bought a brand new Schon cue about 4-5 years ago. it had a rattle in the butt. i emailed Evan and told him i thought it sounded like some loose epoxy, he kinda poopooed it, but told me to ship it back, which i did. two weeks later it was back in my hands, sans rattle. i asked what it was, he confirmed it was some loose epoxy...

i have other Schons, and have had zero issues...

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would say the only thing I did not like on some of the older ones was how some of the stitch rings do not line up in various parts of various cues. This is purely a visual thing as all of them were still rock solid and played great.

Matt -

An explanation might be folks had different expectations than now.

My friend had a very old unmarked Joss cue. It had several "dot" inlays, with veneers and points. The points did not perfectly line up and the inlays were off so much you could see it at arms length.

Most dealers would only offer guesses on the cue. Most said that the inlays were done by some local cuemaker after the original cue was finished and that's why the inlays were so far off.

Rick Howard is a friend of ours and excellent resource. He said the cue was a Joss and it was his opinion that it was all original including the inlays. Again, he said that folks didn't care that everything lined up perfectly. They wanted a great playing cue at a reasonable cost.

My friend sent the cue to Joss and they verified, it was built that way originally and he even remembered making the cue.

So IMO, holding those vintage cues to today's standards is tough.

JMO,

Ken

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Shot with the same STL17 for over 20 years. Fantastic cue, flawless execution (yes, the rings don't line up all the way through the cue, but Schon doesn't try to line them up...until it was pointed out to me, I never noticed and still don't care). Hits great and is still 98% condition. It's still in the closet (retired), but ready for action and is my "shoot if my life/home depended on it" cue. I've seen one or two dud cues from nearly every custom/production maker, but not from Schon. I've also never heard a bad word spoken about any Schon, and that can't really be said for any other brand.

Scherf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only thing I could ever find to say about Schon is that I was sad to see that their points are no longer quite so pointy.....For me it really took away from who they were When I found my new STL-9 didn't have the same fine points my Runde era Schon had.

robsnotes4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only one I had. I was excited to purchase it brand new. Sold it after 6 months. Very unimpressed. You are better off getting a 400-500 sneaky from a custom cue maker imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
Not for everyone

The only one I had. I was excited to purchase it brand new. Sold it after 6 months. Very unimpressed. You are better off getting a 400-500 sneaky from a custom cue maker imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sounds like the cue did not fit your requirements for playability, this thread is more directed at quality and execution of build. I am curious if you tried a different tip because some people just don't care for Schons standard tip.

devorator

Ipoolmyheart@thetable
Silver Member
One...only

I had many Schons.
Only one fits the bill with an amazingly strange feel and totally unbalanced.
Tried for a month by me and my friends.
They couldn't believe that a Schon can hit that bad. So they tried it more. Same result.
Now, in my book Schon is on the short list of production cues that I really like.
It happens...I don't blame...

As a simple rule...the less inlayed (plastic, phenolic stuff) the better. Wood inlays and plain wood itself has a great hit and feel. Evan Clarke himself said something very similar to this. That's why only fancy Schons are decorated. True players are just pure woods.

ChrisN@2015

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member

Over the past twenty years, I've purchased four different Schon cues. Never had a single problem with build quality. Evan converted my twenty year plus old "six windows" about ten years ago to a "wrapless" design. Flawless work. My break cue is a basic R1. Also twenty years old plus. Never a problem with that either. Still have a third tucked away. The fourth was purchased for use in Vegas only. Dealer ordered the wrong weight. Sadly had to sell it. If you are having a problem, call them directly. Really believe they care.

Lyn

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I have a CX33, 6 point Ebony cue that has an unusual sound when hitting. I have tried at least a dozen Schons from Runde era to current and they all had an almost identical sound/feel. My CX33 sounds/feels unusual with the original shaft or a Predator. I have never mentioned this to anyone before, it would not stop me from buying another Schon cue, I think they are one of the best. They are local to me, I plan on stopping down with the cue and asking them about it but I just haven't had time yet. I found a D19 McDermott, another Ebony cue, and had it refinished by McDermott, it was not my plan to use this cue as a player but it hits so nice I had no other choice, that's why I have not been down to see Evan yet.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm probably the only one who thinks this way but I can honestly say that I like the post Rundee Schons the most.
Or I should say I like Schon cues the most after they started CNC-ing their points.
Those are very consistently the same as far as hit and feel goes.
The newer Schons feel real good and solid to me.
The old ones were - in my opinion and experience (I have 3) - a hit or miss as far as workmanship and consistency in the hit goes.

That being said I tend to prefer the hit of cues with no decoration at all but the CNCs come close.

A cue maker once told me it made sense because you remove the least wood from the butt when you have no decoration, a little wood when you CNC and more wood is removed when you have those sharp points. But then....maybe he just had excessive stock of his CNC'd cues...lol.
I have no idea if it's true or not but I know that I do TEND to like the hit of a good CNC cue vs. sharp points from the same maker.

Could be all psychological too....

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had about 25 schons and 2 had a lift just below the joint.
Almost bought a wrapless one brand new but lucky for me the guy
was honest enough to tell me it also had a small roll near the joint,
so I didn't purchase it even though the company was willing to
discount it. The rest were fine.