Anyone Seen these Hyatt Billiard Balls before???

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Anyone Seen these Hyatt Billiard Balls before??Thanks in advance.

Trent from Toledo:thumbup:
 

Attachments

  • 73349362_1006169013072980_6112024940821610496_n.jpg
    73349362_1006169013072980_6112024940821610496_n.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 514
  • 74667321_1006169473072934_5369128695355146240_n.jpg
    74667321_1006169473072934_5369128695355146240_n.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 485
  • 77267721_1006169333072948_3306943754983702528_n.jpg
    77267721_1006169333072948_3306943754983702528_n.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 516
Luckily no. Those are hideous. Looks like something you'd see at a garage sale sitting next to a lava lamp. ;)
 
Correct box?

Are you sure that's the correct box? I have seen these or something very close but from what I remember they were a cheap novelty and not any name brand item.

But that was years ago back when I worked for a pool table manufacturer and did lots of table installs.
 
Luckily no. Those are hideous. Looks like something you'd see at a garage sale sitting next to a lava lamp. ;)

That is one of the things I like about them. the most important reason I like them is that I have never seen them before. Seems like a rare set :)

Trent
 
Are you sure that's the correct box? I have seen these or something very close but from what I remember they were a cheap novelty and not any name brand item.

But that was years ago back when I worked for a pool table manufacturer and did lots of table installs.

I am not sure, that is why I am asking. I am confident it will all come out as people see the post :) Thanks for your thoughts.

Trent
 
The cue ball appears to be typical nylon phenolic, but bouncing off a piece of bullet proof glass might make for a weird hit.
They'd probably be destroyed by the end of a race to 5 in any game.
 
Last edited:
Lucite? Wonder how that plays compared to phenolic.
...
I'm guessing badly. Lucite is the same as Plexiglass. The chemical name is polymethyl methacrylate (PMMA). It dissolves in organic solvents. To me it seems like a softer, stickier surface than phenolic and a clear ball would tend to get cloudy from scuffing in play. It is a few percent lighter than phenolic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poly(methyl_methacrylate)
 
Cutting balls at any angle would be very deceiving because you really can't see the true sides of the balls.
 
I'm guessing badly. Lucite is the same as Plexiglass. The chemical name is polymethyl methacrylate (PMMA). It dissolves in organic solvents. To me it seems like a softer, stickier surface than phenolic and a clear ball would tend to get cloudy from scuffing in play. It is a few percent lighter than phenolic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poly(methyl_methacrylate)

They are also very likely to be much lighter than Phenolic balls. I'd like to see Trent weigh them for comparison. They would probably play a little better than ping pong balls. :rolleyes:
 
They are also very likely to be much lighter than Phenolic balls. ...
According to the density of Lucite, a 2.25-inch ball would be a little under 4 ounces. Maybe the floating hockey puck inside each ball is a weight.
 
How much do phenolic balls weigh?
About 6 oz, I think.

Here's the WPA specs:

16. BALLS AND BALL RACK
All balls must be composed of cast phenolic resin plastic and measure 2 ¼ (+.005) inches [5.715 cm (+ .127 mm)] in diameter and weigh 5 ½ to 6 oz [156 to 170 gms].

pj
chgo
 
Back
Top