APA 8 ball rack rule

orangecrush

Just a banger
Silver Member
I haven't played on APA in a while. When did they change the rule of one solid and one stripe in the corners? And if I remember correctly, they are still playing that way here in Austin.

Shane

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I seem to remember reading that rule in the rule book (or on their website) last year, so I believe it is still current. Though I never see anyone worrying about it during league play here locally. Perhaps we'll see that enforced at our state tournament in a couple of weeks, though I don't know. This is my first time, so I don't know how it's gone in the past.

I always rack that way in any event, and have since I was taught the game. So it ain't a problem for me! :)

Manoman2444

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't played on APA in a while. When did they change the rule of one solid and one stripe in the corners? And if I remember correctly, they are still playing that way here in Austin.

Shane

I haven't read that in my APA rulebook, but it is the small one. Where exactly did you see this? I would like to read that rule myself.

sk8ordie

HTTR!
Silver Member
That's still a rule here, Just not enforced becuase 2/3's of the APA members here haven't even scene a rule book. Two new rules, I think by-law rules are (1) you can legally split a solid & stripe ball to pocket your ball if it hits them at the same time and (2) when the cue ball is frozen to your own ball (even when on the 8ball) it is legal to shot straight at your ball which causes a double hit on the cue ball, but now legal:confused: APA, :D

bazkook

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the back row of the rack,I always have a stripe and solid on the corners. I think the only official rule dealing with racking is having a rack as tight as possible with the 8 ball in the middle and 4 balls having to hit a rail.
I don't mean to hijack the thread or anything but since we're on the topic of the 8 ball rack,I would like to ask something. Can you rack your own in APA? I try to give the tightest rack possible anytime I play. Sometimes I don't trust the racker though. I know people who will put a slug rack on you in a heartbeat.

ronhudson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That rule is from some other league, probably BCA. The APA has no such rule. The APA rules only briefly mention the rack and do not specify the order of the balls. IF someone says there is such a rule, ask them to show it to you in the rules.

"RACKING

All balls should be frozen (touching) as tightly as possible. Balls are racked
with the front ball on the foot spot and the 8-ball in the center of the triangle.

The breaking player may request and receive a rerack."

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
The official rulebook makes no mention of it, from the poolplayers.com apa website. We've done it in other leagues in the interest of fairness but realistically it doesn't matter.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I know the OP's question related to the APA. But as a side note, I'll point out that WPA (world-standardized) rules do still have that requirement:

3.2 Eight Ball Rack
The fifteen object balls are racked as tightly as possible in a triangle, with the apex ball on the foot spot and the eight ball as the first ball that is directly below the apex ball. One from each group of seven will be on the two lower corners of the triangle. The other balls are placed in the triangle without purposeful or intentional pattern.​

ndgreen

Registered
That's still a rule here, Just not enforced becuase 2/3's of the APA members here haven't even scene a rule book. Two new rules, I think by-law rules are (1) you can legally split a solid & stripe ball to pocket your ball if it hits them at the same time and (2) when the cue ball is frozen to your own ball (even when on the 8ball) it is legal to shot straight at your ball which causes a double hit on the cue ball, but now legal:confused: APA, :D

Mike Page has a good video on this here. Good video explanation of a double hit foul versus if two balls that are frozen together. If the balls are frozen and called frozen, it is legal to stroke through the cue ball without there being a double hit.

sk8ordie

HTTR!
Silver Member
That rule is from some other league, probably BCA. The APA has no such rule. The APA rules only briefly mention the rack and do not specify the order of the balls. IF someone says there is such a rule, ask them to show it to you in the rules.

"RACKING

All balls should be frozen (touching) as tightly as possible. Balls are racked
with the front ball on the foot spot and the 8-ball in the center of the triangle.

The breaking player may request and receive a rerack."

Ronhudson is absolutely correct, there is no mentioned rule anymore on the pattern of a 8 ball rack in APA. There was, unless I'm losing my mind. 3-4 years ago before I quit APA. We had a match were it was a sl2 vs. sl3, their sl2 couldn't hit 4 balls to a rail and we looked it up in the rule book thinking she only had two chances untill she lost her break to our sl3, we were wrong, she can try all night untill she fouls(scratching,etc). Anyway, that's were I first seen the APA rule on racking a solid and stripe in opposite corners, I started racking that way ever since. It took her 7 re-racks untill she hit 4 balls to a rail. Sorry for the wrong info. Ron

sk8ordie

HTTR!
Silver Member
Mike Page has a good video on this here. Good video explanation of a double hit foul versus if two balls that are frozen together. If the balls are frozen and called frozen, it is legal to stroke through the cue ball without there being a double hit.

Thanks for the link. Great video.

incognito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Shane

In the APA, the only rule about the order in which the balls are racked is that the 8 goes in the middle. The other balls can go anywhere in the rack.