Appleton and Bergman - Maybe It's In Their Bloodline

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
:cool:
Can skills in pool (or the desire to play) be genetic?
What if you looked back thru your family tree and found that you had pool/billiard players in your family 100 years ago? Could it explain why and how you play?

1867 Appleton.png
 
When I was growing up, my father owned his own business, and without really thinking about why he did it, I wanted to own my own business as well.

Many years later while researching my family tree (back to 1730) I discovered that in my fathers bloodline, every single father, grandfather and great grandfather had owned their own business. They never worked for anyone else. This made a lot of sense when I pondered why I wanted to own a business as well, it literally ran in the family.

I wonder, can billiard skills or the desire to play be passed along family lines as well?
 
When I was growing up, my father owned his own business, and without really thinking about why he did it, I wanted to own my own business as well.

Many years later while researching my family tree (back to 1730) I discovered that in my fathers bloodline, every single father, grandfather and great grandfather had owned their own business. They never worked for anyone else. This made a lot of sense when I pondered why I wanted to own a business as well, it literally ran in the family.

I wonder, can billiard skills or the desire to play be passed along family lines as well?

Nurture or nature? Whatchoo talkin about, Willis?

Unbeknownst to me, until I was well-entrenched into The Game...

My mom told me that as a child growing up in Puerto Rico, her mom sent her to the pool hall to get he father to come home. In subsequent conversations involving pool stuffs, I once attempted to explain billiards- as in no pockets- and she told me she knew what it was and that was what her dad liked to play.

I never got to have a pool conversation with him, sadly.

My wife's grandfather*- born in late 1920s- was a town pool champ in havre d grace, md and also in batesville, IN. My wife does not care for pool.

*did a little pool hustlin once out of town with him as witness. Another family member and I were working some magic on one side of the room, while grampa was on the other side telling people I was a champ and had been on tv and magazines. Almost didn't leave with the money that night.
 
*did a little pool hustlin once out of town with him as witness. Another family member and I were working some magic on one side of the room, while grampa was on the other side telling people I was a champ and had been on tv and magazines. Almost didn't leave with the money that night.

I know exactly what you mean. I always keep my head on a swivel when playing to make sure old grampa isn't hanging out in the back knocking my action.
We hustlers have it rough!
 
Back
Top