Arata's Grand Olive Billiards, St. Louis ...

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member
Does anyone remember this upstairs Pool Hall on Grand Avenue ...? It was a great place to play 40-50 years ago ...
 
I'm too young to remember that pool hall, but I do know what a sideoiler is. Does that get me any points? My '68 GT Mustang has a 427 medium riser with dual quads, toploader,...,etc.
 
I'm hijacking my own post, but ...

mosconiac said:
I'm too young to remember that pool hall, but I do know what a sideoiler is. Does that get me any points? My '68 GT Mustang has a 427 medium riser with dual quads, toploader,...,etc.

yes, you get points for your superior knowledge of the almighty 427 side-oiler ... Mine is ready to go back into a 1968 F250 4x4, and man what a "sleeper" it is ... I also have a fresh 427 SOHC which is earmarked for a Cobra Daytona Kit, if I ever find the time for another project of that magnitude ...
 
The turn style for this pool room I believe is now located @ Cue N Cushion Billiards.
 
Good Memory!

watchez said:
The turn style for this pool room I believe is now located @ Cue N Cushion Billiards.
Yes...we have the turnstiles from Grand & Olive. When I was younger we bought out a lot of thier inventory and some of their tables after they closed. I remember that summer SO many pool rooms going out of business. We had bits and pieces from a dozen pool rooms stored in every relatives garage we could find. I was never there when it was open. Only after it shut down.

We still use the turnstiles everyday at Cue & Cushion. I still get people that walk in and say..."there was a set of turnstiles like that at Grand and Olive way back when"....always makes me smile that we kept a small bit of St. Louis history alive.
 
I'll probably be headed to St. Louis early next year to visit my Sister before Cancer claims her ... I hope to stop by and get acquainted during that time ... Besides, I must check out those remnants of Arata's Billiards ...

Wow, I just realized my earlier post was #427 ...
 
Last edited:
Back
Top