Archer/Strickland Exhibition in Wisconsin...

RackRunner

Property of RackRunner
Silver Member
Today Johnny Archer and Earl Strickland came to J.R. Buhs's Boomer's Billiards in Sturtevant Wisconsin to put on an exhibition. They held a four hour instructional class (two hours with each pro) and then followed it up with an exhibition and autograph/photo session. I participated in the instructional class as well as the exhibition. It was first class all the way. After Earl put on some amazing trick shots, Johnny held challenge matches that were determined by a raffle. I was lucky enough to be picked in the raffle to play Johnny a game of nine ball. This man is a class act...everyone who was picked had to lag for the break, and regardless if you won the lag or not...you got to break. I broke and scratched...and then I told Johnny..."nice game" and true to form, he ran out. Later, I was lucky enough to again be picked to play scotch doubles. The two players picked paired up with one of the pros, and I was paired up with Johnny. Long story short...we won the game.

I couldn't have had a better time...thank you to Johnny Archer, Earl Strickland, Mark Cattrell, and J.R. Buhs and his staff for putting on a first class show...this is a day I will not soon forget.
 
Its great to see all these positive theads about JA, Mark and Earl. I am so glad to see something work in pool, They are my friends as well so I'm triple happy for them. I mentioned it before I was there while Mark was planning the tour, we were at my house while he was beating me playing snooker on a Diamond-it was fun to talk about for me. I take ZERO credit in this tour, but being involved in the earily converstaions and then seeing it work, makes me feel so good!! I know its corny but its true!! They are all 3 good guys!! and I'm happy for them. and YES Mr. T-Wheeles you will get beat next time mate!!!!;)
 
I am green with envy. I would be on top of the world to be at the table with either of them. Nice to hear positive things about Johnny and Earl because I've heard much more negative things (personality-wise) than positive.

I can actually understand Earl's occasional outbursts. People are there egging him on (heck I've heard of people going for the sole reason of trying to make Earl explode) at his job as if the pressure isn't already high enough. I'm a real laid back guy and I think even I would have an enough is enough moment.
 
The closest I can come is playing a few retired pros and playing the head of the McDermott Tour and I didn't know who he was until we were almost done playing.
 
Is johnny & earl signing your personal memorbilia? I hear they will be in IL. tonight. Pm me if antbody knows.:smile:
 
As rackrunner said, I too was there for the instructional part.
Earl's stroke is phenomenal. It's one thing to see it on tv or where ever, but to watch his stroke in person was outstanding.
He went over bridges & stroke with each person, hands on.
Johnny worked on some basics, and then we each played him a game of 8 ball. We broke and I was fortunate to make a ball on the break. I got to shoot a few in and then he proceeded to run out. I don't remember for sure but I think everybody else came up dry on the break. If they did make a ball they only shot once and then he proceeded to run each rack.
He explained what his thinking was in regards to each shot, gave a good explanation as to why.
There wasn't a gimme rack in any of them.
That man can shoot some pool.
We were with each for 2 hours, not a long session but I was only looking to pick up a couple things and I did.
I also wanted to pick their brain a little and shoot the sh!t with some world class players.
I enjoyed it and it was worth the money to me.
 
Last edited:
justpool said:
Is johnny & earl signing your personal memorbilia? I hear they will be in IL. tonight. Pm me if antbody knows.:smile:

You heard correct...they will be in Decatur tonight. After their exhibition, they take the time to sign anything you want...cues, cases, shirts, hats, and they will also have some cue balls already signed by both of them. To anyone who is thinking of going, I would highly recommend it. To have a chance to spend some time with two world champions is really a great experience.
 
I attended the Archer/Strickland pool school in Sturtevant yesterday and it was great. If they ever swing by this way again I'll take a refresher.

Dave Nelson

P.S.

We got a good write up in the local paper this morning. It was a good write up but they made one small mistake. The said that the school lasted two hours. I'll contact the writer tomorrow and explain the curriculum to him and I'm sure they will print a correction.
 
Last edited:
Scott Lee said:
gunzby...Out of curiosity, who was this mystery person?

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

I can't even remember his name. I only remember that he was an older heavy set man. This was 15 years ago so I can't recall his name. It was at Rack n Roll in Mentor, Ohio
 
gunzby...The reason I ask, is because there was no "head" of the McDermott Tour. The Texas Express 9-Ball Tour (later the McDermott 9-Ball Tour) was formed by three individuals...Randy Goettlicher, Robin Adair, and John McChesney. They were equal partners. McChesney passed away. Both of the others post here.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

gunzby said:
I can't even remember his name. I only remember that he was an older heavy set man. This was 15 years ago so I can't recall his name. It was at Rack n Roll in Mentor, Ohio
 
Scott Lee said:
gunzby...The reason I ask, is because there was no "head" of the McDermott Tour. The Texas Express 9-Ball Tour (later the McDermott 9-Ball Tour) was formed by three individuals...Randy Goettlicher, Robin Adair, and John McChesney. They were equal partners. McChesney passed away. Both of the others post here.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

He might have said he was an official or something like that. It was 15 years ago so I may not be clear on exactly who he was. I only remember that I had never seen him before and he said something about being here for the McDermott. I know he wasn't there to play because I stayed for the tournament, but he was there for it as well.
 
gunzby said:
He might have said he was an official or something like that. It was 15 years ago so I may not be clear on exactly who he was. I only remember that I had never seen him before and he said something about being here for the McDermott. I know he wasn't there to play because I stayed for the tournament, but he was there for it as well.
Thanks guys for the nice things you have said about the exhibition and the pool school. We just left Starship billiards in Decatur, Il. What a great pool troom that is. Also another small town called Sturtevant in Wisconson a pool room called Bomers Billiards. We had a anopther full house and full pool school, I am beginning to believe that pool is not as dead as some would make it out to be, that includes myself.
Thank you to all who have shopwnb their support to us and the sport.
 
DAMN! I was stuck in Two Rivers WI all day today then it took 3 hours to get home with the roads being so icy. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:
 
cowboyup200560 said:
Counting down the days untill they hit Des Moines (tuesday) and i will be in heaven :)
We will be there tomorrow buddy, and we may be looking forward to it more that you. We think we will have fun there.
 
Back
Top