Archer-vs-Wiseman & 6 HOURS OF POOL TOMMORROW ON TV

satman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Put an extra caption

PKM said:
Check out the Generationpool commercial they keep playing. The guy grabs the object ball off the table while another guy is shooting, and thinks it's hilarious. Not cool! They should cut to the blood streaming down his forehead after he gets whacked. Then say "have fun, play pool"

Right at the end they could have a guy say, "nice shot Jack, and go back to the guy bleeding all over the floor'> :)

Roadkill

Retired Pool Hustler
Silver Member
I notice multiple shots of Wiseman on the subway and around town during the most commerical breaks and none of Jones.

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
Poor Sportmanship

No matter what happened during the match I just watched, Archer should not have turned his back on Wiseman when it was over. Wiseman was clearly going over to shake Archer's hand. I have seen greater sportmanship at APA league tournaments in bars. This is a black eye for "Professional Pool" particularly when it is shown to the masses on ESPN.

Just my thoughts

Wedge

PoolSharkAllen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PKM said:
Check out the Generationpool commercial they keep playing. The guy grabs the object ball off the table while another guy is shooting, and thinks it's hilarious. Not cool! They should cut to the blood streaming down his forehead after he gets whacked. Then say "have fun, play pool"

I don't recollect that commercial but it has to be an improvement over the amateurish IPT commercial of Shawn Putnam putting a ball in his mouth. :D

1on1pooltournys

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did anybody else catch this or am I hearing things?

During the JJ and Wiseman match, I think Mark Wilson said something like.."One hell of a shot", which suprised me from Mark. Then at the end JJ said, "I'm happy as hell". I was kind of shocked and thought I didn't hear them right or something..??:confused: :confused: :confused:

satman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did too

1on1pooltournys said:
During the JJ and Wiseman match, I think Mark Wilson said something like.."One hell of a shot", which suprised me from Mark. Then at the end JJ said, "I'm happy as hell". I was kind of shocked and thought I didn't hear them right or something..??:confused: :confused: :confused:

I couldn't believe they put that on ESPN. But the networks are allowing it now. OH Well. Times are changing.

1on1pooltournys

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
satman said:
I couldn't believe they put that on ESPN. But the networks are allowing it now. OH Well. Times are changing.

It is kind of poor taste. I cuss like a rabid truck driver but I have enough since to know there is a time and a place.

satman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
exactly

1on1pooltournys said:
It is kind of poor taste. I cuss like a rabid truck driver but I have enough since to know there is a time and a place.

It's a bad habit around pool rooms to get into. But it hapens to most of us. I have to be really careful after coming back from the weekend tourneys and especially DCC. Not sure my customers would like me standing in their living room using bad language.
I've been watching pool all afternoon, and it's raining outside. I may just skip working the fair and go play some pool. Awww, the benefits of being in charge.

satman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gotta agree

PoolBum said:
The most impressive performance from all four semi-final matches was by Xiaoting Pan.
That girl can play. Seen some very good shots and some surprisingly bad shots today. Just goes to show, even top notch players miss a ball once in a while.

roosterman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The King said:
Pool fans will be able to watch six consecutive hours of championship pool on Saturday afternoon as ESPN airs the semifinal and final matches of both the men?s and women?s divisions of the GenerationPool.com 9-Ball Championships.

The broadcasts will begin at noon, Eastern Standard Time, with the two semifinal matches of the men?s division, followed by the final between Jeremy Jones and Ronnie Wiseman at 2 p.m. The women?s semifinals will kick off at 3 p.m., with the final between Xiaoting Pan and Ga Young Kim set for 5 p.m.

Here?s the lineup:

Noon - 1 p.m. ? Men's Semi-Final 1: Johnny Archer vs. Ronnie Wiseman
1 p.m. - 2 p.m. ? Men's Semi-Final 2: Shawn Putnam vs. Jeremy Jones
2 p.m. - 3 p.m. ? Men's Final: Ronnie Wiseman vs. Jeremy Jones
3 p.m. - 4 p.m. ? Women's Semi-Final 1: Anna Kostanian vs. Xiaoting Pan
4 p.m. - 5 p.m. ? Women's Semi-Final 2: Jasmine Ouschan vs. Ga Young Kim
5 p.m. - 6 p.m. ? Women's Final: Xiaoting Pan vs. Ga Young Kim

One match of particular interest will be the dramatic semifinal contest between Wiseman and Archer at noon. On the hill and leading, 6-4, Wiseman was about to stroke a tight shot on the 5 ball when Archer interrupted to ask the referee about the potential for fouling on the shot. Rattled by the interruption, Wiseman missed the shot, refused to accept Archer?s apologies, and later accused him of sharking. We?ll see how much of that friction is reflected in the broadcast.

Viewers also can see the first national TV appearance of Anna Kostanian, the 20-year-old phenom who is quickly staking a claim among the top American players. She makes a game effort against world-champion Pan in their 3 p.m. semifinal.

The matches were taped on June 11-12 at the Charlotte (N.C.) Convention Center.

Produced by the Billiard Congress of America, the Championships were sponsored by Olhausen Billiard Mfg. Inc., Fury Cues, Darafeev Resort Furniture, Aramith Billiard Balls, Delta-13, PoolDawg, the American Poolplayers Association, CueSight and Sterling Gaming, which arranged the pro-tournament debut of Milliken SuperPro pool cloth at the event.

Thanks for reminding me that was good watching.

accustatsfan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Overall I enjoyed the coverage.

This probably falls into the category of "If you don't have anything positive to say don't say it" but does ESPN have a rule that as a commentator says position will be difficult the camera pans to the player's face so you can't see the table?

I realize they have limited time but can you imagine the super bowl showing part of the 4th quarter live and partial highlights of the rest and then scratching their heads wondering why the game wasn't more popular.

eddieindetroit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have watched Wiseman bet easily 100K over the last 5-6 years. I have never seen him pull any BS moves no mater how intense the game. Win or lose.
I know two very young players now in their 20's that informed me that they idolized Archer while growin up. They were real big Archer fans untill they got strong enough to match up with him. Everything about their perception of the man changed after gambling with him though. He's no saint.

Eddie

The King

Here's Jimbo....
Silver Member
I got to watch the Wiseman / Archer match at the pool hall before we loaded up to go out of town to play a tourney... I kind of liked Johnny's spunk it is a emotional game and for him a living ... I thought it made for good tv and maybe it will get more people watching ... Pool can be pretty boring to those that are not really into it .... Johnny was just trying to fire up peoples intrests...

I enjoyed watching the match from the pool hall we have a older guy probably in his fifities that sits around the pool hall. He gives us tips and you seldom see him play anymore one of those guys that is too good for the game but yet not good enough if you know what I mean ... He use to play alot and is very , very good but probably not good enough to go pro and his family keeps him home his wife don't want him on the road... Yet he is too good to where he can't get any money games cause no one wants to play him and most people don't want him in the local tourney's because he would win all of them and most would quit going ... I kind of feel sorry for him he is kind of caught between levels and you wonder how he is going to advance ...

Anyway I'm setting there watching Archer and Wiseman and the Guy (Harmon is his name) reaches over and taps me on the shoulder. I look at him and he tells me you see that first table right there ... I'm like yeah ... He said I was setting here like you and I are one day and this skinny 16 year old kid came walking in ...He said the kid was so skinny his viens were poking out of his arms ... he looked sickly and enimic .... He said the kid walked up to me and called me out and we played right there on that first table... He told me just looking at the kid I was sure I had a fish ... Then he told me that 16 year old kid was Johnny Archer .... I kind of thought that was neat listening to him tell me that story watching Archer play on the tv... Only in a pool hall I guess ...

We loaded up and headed out of town and we took Harmon with us seeing no one would know who he was .... Needless to say Harmon can still play no one even came close to beating him in the tourny ... We came back home and got into another tourny so it has been a good day of pool playing and watching pool on tv... what could be better?

jjollie

I think it was very bad taste on Archer's behalf. I have seen Archer at the US Open loose a match and man I though he was going to have a break-down.

One the other hand, I think Wiseman can be a little hothead also. I witnessed him and Mika getting into an altercation at the OPEN and I thought Wiseman was going to knock his block off. Wiseman looks as if he can handle his own.

jjollie

PoolChick5

9 ball production

DeadPoked said:
Another thing I noticed is that the production values are a lot better than I've seen before from ESPN.

I think the BCA did a great job with improving the look and feel of the event. It was nothing like I've ever seen on TV. Nice job!:smile:

popman

Registered
A good show for t.v.

Now all you folks should send an e-mail to ESPN to thank them and tell them that we want to see more of this.

senor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jjollie said:
One the other hand, I think Wiseman can be a little hothead also. I witnessed him and Mika getting into an altercation at the OPEN and I thought Wiseman was going to knock his block off. Wiseman looks as if he can handle his own.

jjollie

Mika had a disagreement with another pool player? I don't believe it. :rolleyes:

Cuebacca

________
Silver Member
What an educational little physics lesson Mitch gave about the cue ball speed on the break. :) They had chart comparing the cue ball speed on the break to the speeds of a slap shot, a fast ball, and a tennis serve. The chart also included the distances that the respective balls (and puck) would travel before hitting their targets. They showed a guy clocking Johnny's break with a radar gun, and Mitch explained (I paraphrase) that the cue ball is much slower than the others on the chart because it only had four feet to accelerate before hitting the rack. :shocked2: Classic. :grin-square:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched it too- man, Archer played like CRAP! Talk about being snakebit...or is it in a coma? Snakebit, in a coma, it is!!
Kind of made you wonder how he got that far in the event (I know how he did it- he is a bad MoFo).

I hate it when that happens to me.